Baby crap

BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Yeah I know about the basics but what else am I going to need?

We have a 2 year old, and here are some things that we ended up using a lot, that you may not think of...

--Triple Paste (trust me), which you will use a lot, and its expensive

--Baby backpack (got ours from REI) - way easier to use than a stroller in the city and for buses and trains, etc. We use it more than the stroller, easily. They can start in these around 6-8 months, when they are strong enough to sort of hold themselves up, and they are good up to 40 pounds, so say 3-4 years old.

--Can't have too many cloths/small towels

--Outlet covers - something people tend to forget (goes along with cabinet locks, etc.)

--Bottle warner, way faster and more even-heated than other methods

--Lots of bibs, for when they start baby food and solid foods. You will go through them quickly, and I recommend the hazmat suit type things that have sleeves and a little pocket built in. The tiny little cloth ones are nearly useless.

There's a few to start with.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Diaper Genie

Pacifiers

Toys with bright colors (it's a great way to get them to stop fussing and look at something)

Oh yeah, Diaper Genie is a must. We have the simple foot-pedal one, not the fancy electronic ones that we were afraid would break all the time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
--Lots of bibs, for when they start baby food and solid foods. You will go through them quickly, and I recommend the hazmat suit type things that have sleeves and a little pocket built in. The tiny little cloth ones are nearly useless.

We found that the little cloth ones work well when they are teething. Helps to keep some of the drooling off their clothes.

Also lots and lots of blankets.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
We found that the little cloth ones work well when they are teething. Helps to keep some of the drooling off their clothes.

Also lots and lots of blankets.

Oh, so you mean you used it just for wearing around? That's interesting, didn't think of that.

When they first starting eating actual food (instead of milk), those little ones we found to be... less than sufficient.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Oh, so you mean you used it just for wearing around? That's interesting, didn't think of that.

When they first starting eating actual food (instead of milk), those little ones we found to be... less than sufficient.

Yep. It saved having to change shirts every hour or so. Of course then they get old enough to start pulling them off and it doesn't matter anyway.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Baby monitor. I would go with the video one, especially if this is your first kid.

A mirror for the car. It attaches to the headrest facing the baby, so when you look out your rearview mirror you can see the baby in theirs.

Also, why is your baby giving us the finger?

We had an audio baby monitor, thought about the video, but my wife got spooked by the stories out there of the signal being unencrypted and available to anyone nearby to pick up. Probably nothing worth worrying about though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
We had an audio baby monitor, thought about the video, but my wife got spooked by the stories out there of the signal being unencrypted and available to anyone nearby to pick up. Probably nothing worth worrying about though.

Yeah I received that big warning from my dad...I said thanks and then told him to get lost. I'm so glad we had it. It was comforting as new parents to be able to see she was ok. It also stopped us from going and checking on her a lot. Lastly, they do some hilarious s***.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)

Just get the baby an iPhone 4 and start up the video chat.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Yep. It saved having to change shirts every hour or so. Of course then they get old enough to start pulling them off and it doesn't matter anyway.

I'll second this!

- White Sox clothes

- If your baby will be formula fed, sign up at Enfamil.com for their program. You get free formula and coupons. (that sh*t's expensive)

- When you run out of free forumula, coupons, buy coupons on eBay. I bought 20, $2/off coupons for $1.

- Signup for the Pampers Points program.

- Get a bouncy chair. Not a swing, but a chair. I think ours was called "soothing vibrations" It's perfect to put on the kitchen table while you are eating. My little girl loves to hang out with my wife and I while we are having dinner. If she's in the other room, or we are outta sight for a while when's she's awake, she goes ape-sh*t.