Viciedo to the OF

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
Examples? Maybe the Bears game sucked my brain dry, but I'm having a hard time coming up with examples of the Sox moving guys to worse positions. If anything, the Sox have moved guys to help them succeed, not put them in a position to be terrible defenders.

"Mark Kotsay to starting DH".

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)
Sure, if we change the question, there are plenty of examples! :D The OP stated that the Sox keep changing defensive players to positions that make them worse defenders.

Well, to give more serious answers, Carlos Quentin to RF was associated with him getting a lot worse. But there's some injury stuff going on there.

Beckham bounced around a lot already.

Mark Teahen put anywhere was a bad idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
Well, to give more serious answers, Carlos Quentin to RF was associated with him getting a lot worse. But there's some injury stuff going on there.

All true. However, Quentin was regarded as a decent RFer and an improvement over Dye, even if it turned out not to be the case (injuries, partially, as you acknowledge). Beckham was never viewed as an above average SS, so shifting him to less intense defensive positions did not make him a worse defender, nor make the Sox worse off defensively. Teahen didn't play anywhere with the Sox that the Royals didn't play him, and when given a better defensive alternative, Ozzie stopped playing Teahen at 3B.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)

That is totally in retrospect. IIRC the opinion surrounding TCQ to RF was nearly unanimously for it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
Should have done this when he was with the Barons. In fact, I was pimpin that thought back then when I read Cubano's report about him playing there in Cuba (though sparingly) cause I loved what I read (and now seen) about his arm with average range.

I think the plan has been to have him play 1B/DH... then Dunn showed up and Konerko stayed

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
I am sick and tired of seeing this organization trying to force players into defensive positions where below average is the best case scenario/goal.

Dayan is a First Basemen or a DH.

Viciedo was never going to be a gold glover to begin with. Increasing his versatility to get that bat into the lineup is the ultimate objective here. If anything, they are moving him because they already have a player at one of the positions he plays who is good defensively and has a pretty good bat to boot.

So settle down and live with him in the outfield for a while. He's going to be below average wherever he plays on the field, so if you can get his bat into the lineup, and he doesn't kill you defensively, you should be happy.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
I want his bat on the opening day roster because he murders left handers so anything that keeps him there I am in favor .

Me too. Is there any way possible that he could beat out Juan Pierre for Left Field? LA benched him for twice the price so money isn't an issue. That would give us something like:

Rios

Beckham

Dunn

PK

Quentin

Pierzynski

Morel

Ramirez

Viciedo

or some other way at the bottom to have a deadly turnover after the 1st inning.

No, Viciedo has no chance of overtaking Juan Pierre for left field, and no, he is not going to take over Teahen's job, and I strongly doubt that he will be on the opening day roster, though that is at least plausible.

Most indications are that Viciedo is nowhere close to being capable defensively in the outfield, and he's not going to suddenly be capable through Spring Training. He needs tons of live action in the outfield, so that is what he will get in AAA this year. If a bat is needed at some point during the season, as opposed to a mere live body who can play a few positions, he will probably be the first called up.

As of right now, the White Sox want to get Viciedo's bat into the lineup, but they have all 3 spots that he is capable of playing locked up for 3 years at the very minimum. The best way to get his bat into play is to put him in the outfield. He has to be able to play the outfield before he can be an outfielder.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:22 AM)
No, Viciedo has no chance of overtaking Juan Pierre for left field, and no, he is not going to take over Teahen's job, and I strongly doubt that he will be on the opening day roster, though that is at least plausible.

Most indications are that Viciedo is nowhere close to being capable defensively in the outfield, and he's not going to suddenly be capable through Spring Training. He needs tons of live action in the outfield, so that is what he will get in AAA this year. If a bat is needed at some point during the season, as opposed to a mere live body who can play a few positions, he will probably be the first called up.

As of right now, the White Sox want to get Viciedo's bat into the lineup, but they have all 3 spots that he is capable of playing locked up for 3 years at the very minimum. The best way to get his bat into play is to put him in the outfield. He has to be able to play the outfield before he can be an outfielder.

Exactly.

If Viciedo replaces anyone on this roster, it will be Quentin if he performs badly again.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
Me too. Is there any way possible that he could beat out Juan Pierre for Left Field? LA benched him for twice the price so money isn't an issue. That would give us something like:

Rios

Beckham

Dunn

PK

Quentin

Pierzynski

Morel

Ramirez

Viciedo

or some other way at the bottom to have a deadly turnover after the 1st inning.

Unfortunately Pierre is god-like to Ozzie , one last remnant of his run and shoot offense.

It´s unfortunate he has not been able to develop his offensive as quickly as the hype had made it out to be. He can be solid but for what we paid we have not seen a return at all. Well 2 years left before the ARB kicks in so let´s hope this year he does something.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
Unfortunately Pierre is god-like to Ozzie , one last remnant of his run and shoot offense.

Despite his arm, he's a pretty damn good lf too. I know the popular thing around here is to hate on Juan Pierre and I'm certainly not a huge fan of his but he actually is decently important considering him and Rios have to cover a lot of freakin ground to make up for Q's ineptness out there.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
It´s unfortunate he has not been able to develop his offensive as quickly as the hype had made it out to be. He can be solid but for what we paid we have not seen a return at all. Well 2 years left before the ARB kicks in so let´s hope this year he does something.

He's already made a ton of strides from the beginning of his first season, he's still got a long way to go but he's 21 for crying out loud, give him some time.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)

He showed great bat speed, great power, and solid contact skills. He needs to work on working a count, but as mentioned, he's 21. Guys that make huge impacts in the majors at the age of 21 are the types of players who can develop into Hall of Fame players.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 02:16 AM)

We signed him at the age of, what, 19? I'm not sure what you were expecting at the age of 21 other than a burgeoning player fighting for a major league roster spot. He still has plenty of work to do but I don't think we signed him with the expectation of ANY immediate return. At least, those weren't my expectations. It just takes a lot of money to sign someone with his potential.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
Despite his arm, he's a pretty damn good lf too. I know the popular thing around here is to hate on Juan Pierre and I'm certainly not a huge fan of his but he actually is decently important considering him and Rios have to cover a lot of freakin ground to make up for Q's ineptness out there.

I just feel about him the way you do. I don't hate on any Sox player. He's a good defender and came through a decent amount in RBI situations. His arm is not good. He bunts way too often for the amount of success he has at it. No power at all ,not even many doubles . Decent base stealer but he's declining.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
I just feel about him the way you do. I don't hate on any Sox player. He's a good defender and came through a decent amount in RBI situations. His arm is not good. He bunts way too often for the amount of success he has at it. No power at all ,not even many doubles . Decent base stealer but he's declining.

Last 5 years

2006: 162 G 58 SB 20 CS 74.3 SB%

2007: 162 G 64 SB 15 CS 81.0 SB%

2008: 119 G 40 SB 12 CS 76.9 SB%

2009: 145 G 30 SB 12 CS 71.4 SB%

2010: 160 G 68 SB 18 CS 79.1 SB%

Obviously he was not quite a full time player in 2008/2009 but the bolded of what you say doesn't really appear to be true. He had the most stolen bases of his career last year and stole at one of the higher rates of his career as well.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
Last 5 years

2006: 162 G 58 SB 20 CS 74.3 SB%

2007: 162 G 64 SB 15 CS 81.0 SB%

2008: 119 G 40 SB 12 CS 76.9 SB%

2009: 145 G 30 SB 12 CS 71.4 SB%

2010: 160 G 68 SB 18 CS 79.1 SB%

Obviously he was not quite a full time player in 2008/2009 but the bolded of what you say doesn't really appear to be true. He had the most stolen bases of his career last year and stole at one of the higher rates of his career as well.

Sweet. Does he have any other stats?