Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 12:26 AM)
All the schools knew it was coming, they shouldn't act surprised.

Also, they are no longer going to be able to do that, and the latest discussion is that the Longhorn Network may not happen, and instead all schools will share one network. The situation is fluid, and no offense 101, those making these predictions have ZERO CLUE about the dynamics involved.

Yep, it's looking more and more like Texas is going to have to take one for the team now that they won't be able to air high school games and have other AD's refusing to be on their network.

I'm extremely tired of hearing about A&M's offer to the SEC. Either take it or shut the hell up about it A&M. You pretend to hate Texas so much, but you won't take a supposedly legit offer from the SEC?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So in other news besides the trade today, the #1 5star QB for 2012 Gunner Kiel is at IU this afternoon. Down to IU and Bama, many rumors of commitment this afternoon. In other words, you can bank on the world ending if INDIANA picks up the #1 QB in the country.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
So in other news besides the trade today, the #1 5star QB for 2012 Gunner Kiel is at IU this afternoon. Down to IU and Bama, many rumors of commitment this afternoon. In other words, you can bank on the world ending if INDIANA picks up the #1 QB in the country.

His brother plays for IU, right? Otherwise, I don't get it. I don't care if he's the biggest Indiana fan in the history of the world or whatever his deal may be. If you're a 5-star QB being recruited by just about everyone, you don't go to Indiana. And I think any reasonable Indiana fan would agree with me (at least the guys I work with who went to IU agree with me, though they'll happily take the kid if he does end up there). Of course, it's still July and a commitment doesn't mean much with signing day 7 months away.

If he commits anywhere, he won't switch. He has an offer from every school in the country right now so nothing will change. He's stated numerous times he will only go to a school that will sign one qb only. He stated last week he was done taking visits, so I'm betting it's IU. I would agree with you that top players don't go to IU, but I guarantee this has a domino effect ala Cody Zeller. Kevin Wilson is building something. Gunner has handled this so well

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)

WTF, really?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
If he commits anywhere, he won't switch. He has an offer from every school in the country right now so nothing will change. He's stated numerous times he will only go to a school that will sign one qb only. He stated last week he was done taking visits, so I'm betting it's IU. I would agree with you that top players don't go to IU, but I guarantee this has a domino effect ala Cody Zeller. Kevin Wilson is building something. Gunner has handled this so well

Well, there you go. He committed to Indiana. Well done, Kevin Wilson.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
I'm not about to say were going to become a powerhouse.... but I definitely see us becoming an Iowa or Mizzou.

I'd be thrilled to be able to watch a post Dec. 30th bowl game that we have a chance in.

Hell, based on previous experience, I'd just be thrilled to be able to watch an IU post Dec. 30th bowl game even when we didn't have a chance.

UNC is terminating Butch Davis as coach. Sounds like, from the descriptions I read, that the athletic department wanted to keep him, but the Chancellor stepped in and got rid of him due to the academic fraud. He absolutely had to go, but the timing of it is bizarre. It should have happened months ago, and by waiting until now they've really screwed up their season this fall.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)

He will probably still go to Indiana, but come on, it's college football. Until they sign that dotted line, never say never. It's a dirty world out there. Either way, that's a great get for IU, just to create some buzz for the football program.

Yeah, really stoked for Kiel. Hopefully we snag a few bodies for the line to protect him. I know we already have one or two decent OL recruits for 2012, but more would be nice.

Up next: Fixing the defense. Good luck, Wilson/Ekeler/Mallory.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
UNC is terminating Butch Davis as coach. Sounds like, from the descriptions I read, that the athletic department wanted to keep him, but the Chancellor stepped in and got rid of him due to the academic fraud. He absolutely had to go, but the timing of it is bizarre. It should have happened months ago, and by waiting until now they've really screwed up their season this fall.

Major blow to UNC. Davis wasnt the greatest of coaches on Saturdays but I would take him over anyone when it comes to evaluating talent in college football. Plus he surrounded himself with awesome coaches.The past few seasons we've seen the hard-on ESPN has had for the likes of Urban Meyer,Carroll and Saban. No doubt in my mind that if Butch would have stayed at Miami for 5-6 more years, the media would have been trying to compare those 3 to Davis.

I dont know if we'll see him coaching again unless he takes a DC job in the NFL. He might go to ESPN or CBS and become an analyst.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
His brother plays for IU, right? Otherwise, I don't get it. I don't care if he's the biggest Indiana fan in the history of the world or whatever his deal may be. If you're a 5-star QB being recruited by just about everyone, you don't go to Indiana. And I think any reasonable Indiana fan would agree with me (at least the guys I work with who went to IU agree with me, though they'll happily take the kid if he does end up there). Of course, it's still July and a commitment doesn't mean much with signing day 7 months away.

You mean SG, not QB right... Otherwise I think we just saw one of the signs of the apocalypse.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)

Wasn't the chancellors decision. New BOT members were sworn in today and immediately took action. They are using Ohio State's firing of Tressel and the NCAA's leniency on Ohio State as the example.

In essence, UNC football is a giant cluster@#!$, and will continue to be for many years as the academia types try to keep football from mattering. They don't believe football success and being an elite academic institution can coincide.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
In essence, UNC football is a giant cluster@#!$, and will continue to be for many years as the academia types try to keep football from mattering. They don't believe football success and being an elite academic institution can coincide.

Tell them Texas and USC say hello.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)

While I would never say I expected this, I can understand why it happened. It's not that big of a stretch if you ask me. Ok, I'll assume you did and I'll explain... :)

First, he is an Indiana kid. Columbus is less than an hour from Bloomington. That in itself is not enough to get a super to play football at IU, but it doesn't hurt. IU's new head coach was the OC at Oklahoma and had some QB by the name of Sam Bradford play under his tutelage. IU's QB coach was a Michigan and coached Denard Robinson last year. He is also a very good recruiter. Kevin Wilson and his staff are building some excitement (yes, that has been said before and not translated into results) and a player like Kiel could be just the guy to help IU step up to being bowl eligible again. I'm sure the coaches are selling even higher aspirations. He may just be the kind of kid that sees the chance to bring IU football to a level they haven't seen before as a great challenge. Lastly, his brother plays there now. Add all of those things up and its not that big a stretch. Still wasn't a slam dunk, but not as amazingly off the charts as some think.

To me the interesting thing is his brother, which could be the starting QB this year is only a sophomore. You Gunner will show up in his brother's JR year. Will he walk in and take big bro's job?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Wasn't the chancellors decision. New BOT members were sworn in today and immediately took action. They are using Ohio State's firing of Tressel and the NCAA's leniency on Ohio State as the example.

I'm certainly not qualified enough to comment on the bolded, but I think Butch Davis had to go, regardless of where he was the coach, based on the circumstances in place here. I'm shocked he lasted this long. I think looking at Ohio State's apparent success in making Tressel the villain is understandable, but this is different since Carolina basically had an assistant coach acting as a runner.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
I'm certainly not qualified enough to comment on the bolded, but I think Butch Davis had to go, regardless of where he was the coach, based on the circumstances in place here. I'm shocked he lasted this long. I think looking at Ohio State's apparent success in making Tressel the villain is understandable, but this is different since Carolina basically had an assistant coach acting as a runner.

I'm assuming you are talking about John Blake? He never gave players anything, he just tried to steer UNC's future NFL players to Gary Wichard while being their "father" figure. He was basically a giant sleezeball, but there was nothing found to be illegal. Just unethical. Butch trusted the wrong folks, and ended up paying for it with his job.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
He will probably still go to Indiana, but come on, it's college football. Until they sign that dotted line, never say never. It's a dirty world out there. Either way, that's a great get for IU, just to create some buzz for the football program.

He's enrolling in December, he isn't going anywhere. And according to the Rivals and Scout national guys, top out of state skill position players are taking notice... Crazy thing is, IU will likely pull in multiple 4 star type of talents in 2012 and 2013... Hell, we could barely get 3 stars before.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
All the schools knew it was coming, they shouldn't act surprised.

Also, they are no longer going to be able to do that, and the latest discussion is that the Longhorn Network may not happen, and instead all schools will share one network. The situation is fluid, and no offense 101, those making these predictions have ZERO CLUE about the dynamics involved.

Well if the schools share one network, the conference can survive obviously. All I'm saying is the league has no shot at lasting long term if the Longhorn Network exists. One school (probably more) will get tired of it and leave, likely in relatively short order. Obviously, that list starts with Texas A&M.

As for Gunner Kiel, more power to Indiana. I'm sure Oklahoma and the SEC schools recruiting him and such were offering him all kinds of interesting benefits, but I give him credit trying to go somewhere and turn the entire program around. I'm sure he loves the resume of the coach, as well as the chance to play close to home. So, while this is absolutely a shocking decision, it isn't senseless. I'm sure Coach Wilson is thrilled, as this will do more for recruiting than he alone ever could, even with his impressive background. I know for a fact NIU beats Indiana for recruits pretty regularly in football (as do many other schools), but I'm guessing that won't happen much anymore. They'll probably be looking more towards higher rated 3 star and 4 star kids. I'd usually say wait until signing day to be excited, but I don't think a kid would make such a drastic decision and then change his mind.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Agreed, the Indiana AD is a big football guy oddly. Put millions into the stadium and it's facilties and is seemingly in the top tier in the bigten in that area now. Probably behind OSU and few others.... With IN HS football on the rise mostly because of the Colts, coupled with Purdue being a joke of a program and having Danny Hope (and ND recruiting nationally), the states top players are heading to Bloomington.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
Agreed, the Indiana AD is a big football guy oddly. Put millions into the stadium and it's facilties and is seemingly in the top tier in the bigten in that area now. Probably behind OSU and few others.... With IN HS football on the rise mostly because of the Colts, coupled with Purdue being a joke of a program and having Danny Hope (and ND recruiting nationally), the states top players are heading to Bloomington.

Glass has been doing a great job and is creating excellent support for the football program; however, Greenspan does at least deserve credit for starting the stadium improvements and facility additions for the athletic department. That's about the only thing he deserves credit for, but it's a big one. I love Glass though; he's exactly the personality we needed in that role for years.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Glass has been doing a great job and is creating excellent support for the football program; however, Greenspan does at least deserve credit for starting the stadium improvements and facility additions for the athletic department. That's about the only thing he deserves credit for, but it's a big one. I love Glass though; he's exactly the personality we needed in that role for years.

Definitely. Greenspan deserves credit for getting the finances in order, which allowed Glass to do what he's done (and I'm really happy with Glass so far).

I think Greenspan was more your time though, Greasy. Greenspan was fired at the end of my freshman year (my freshman year was 07-08, when all the Sampson stuff went down). Just graduated this past year...statistically the worst four years in IU basketball history. At least we were 2-2 in Bucket games.