Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Big East really doesn't want to let WV, Pitt and Syracuse go early.

Pretty sure that means the Big East loses its AQ status for a year otherwise. If these teams leave immediately and Boise and co. don't enter until 2013 I have the Big East with 5 teams.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:46 PM)
Yeah thats weird. I wonder if Martz is back in play.

How is Martz in play for these college jobs? It's not his football coaching skills I'd be worried about it, it's his recruiting and dealing with kids. He's in his 60s, has been in the NFL for a while, seems to be stubborn. That just doesn't seem like an ideal college head coach.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 06:50 AM)
Sounds like they are in a bidding war for Sumlin with A&M. (Or at least Sumlin is using the Illini to get more money from the Aggies)

I'm not a big fan of Sumlin, I think the Illini would be better off going after the Oklahoma State offensive coordinator.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I'm not a big fan of Sumlin, I think the Illini would be better off going after the Oklahoma State offensive coordinator.

Apparently they are close to a deal with Tim Beckman. Thats just not a good hire IMO

On the plus side, another piece of the OSU coaching tree for you guys.

Edited by RockRaines

Kent Graham's son Taylor transferring out of OSU. He will be a good pocket passer for whoever picks him up. He wasnt going to get much playing time with the Bucks.

Depending on the source as well it looks like Dodson and Pittman may be verbaling this weekend. That would be a HUGE haul.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
Hey now, let's not knock video guys...hah

Sorry, its an ongoing joke with OSU fans. The guy literally knew nothing about QB play and all of a sudden he has the #1 QB recruit in the country under his tutelage.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
Tim Beckman to Illini.............nice to see new AD Mike Thomas paying 2 mil a yr for table scraps. This guy bring no buzz to the program what so ever.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colle...0,2255312.story

He's coached zero games. I don't give a f*** about buzz, I care about winning games. We'll see if he can do it or not. Judging it now is stupid.

BTW, Ron Zook was a "big name" or "buzz" hire. I'm not going to get all pissy just because it's not one of the big names being thrown out.

Only time will tell.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Looks like he did well at Toledo. 14-2 within the conference shows that he can produce results within an equal playing field.

It's not a real 'sexy' hire but the hype isnt there this year for the next MAC coach who is destined to be great. But he has midwest ties so that will help recruiting wise.

Who else is out there really?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
He's coached zero games. I don't give a f*** about buzz, I care about winning games. We'll see if he can do it or not. Judging it now is stupid.

BTW, Ron Zook was a "big name" or "buzz" hire. I'm not going to get all pissy just because it's not one of the big names being thrown out.

Only time will tell.

I hope Illinois plans to keep Koenning around because Beckman is not exactly great coaching defense. The only time he held NIU under 63 points was when Harnish was playing most of the game on a leg injury that literally almost ended his career.

With that said, and also considering the fact that I expected Illinois to do better, this isn't some sort of terrible hire. Beckman runs a clean program, recruits very well, and was 14-0 in non-NIU league games the last 2 years. I've seen many worse hires on paper than this work. I'm glad Illinois got him out of the league, and I hope he does well.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
Tim Beckman to Illini.............nice to see new AD Mike Thomas paying 2 mil a yr for table scraps. This guy bring no buzz to the program what so ever.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colle...0,2255312.story

Dude it is Illinois football. Who do you think is lining up for this job exactly?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)

Only time will tell.

Well said. The new AD has a good history of hiring coaches like this, let's give it a chance. Sumlin was the "hot name", but that doesn't necessarily make him a good coach. Plus, it's Illinois football, I think people need to lower their expectations sometimes.