Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:35 AM)
I hope Illinois plans to keep Koenning around because Beckman is not exactly great coaching defense. The only time he held NIU under 63 points was when Harnish was playing most of the game on a leg injury that literally almost ended his career.With that said, and also considering the fact that I expected Illinois to do better, this isn't some sort of terrible hire. Beckman runs a clean program, recruits very well, and was 14-0 in non-NIU league games the last 2 years. I've seen many worse hires on paper than this work. I'm glad Illinois got him out of the league, and I hope he does well.

This post made me sick.

I can't imagine Koenig sticking around. I sure wouldn't.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
Looks like he did well at Toledo. 14-2 within the conference shows that he can produce results within an equal playing field.

It's not a real 'sexy' hire but the hype isnt there this year for the next MAC coach who is destined to be great. But he has midwest ties so that will help recruiting wise.

Who else is out there really?

He has a good pedigree coaching under Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel. He could do well as long as they give him a good OC/DC.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
Dude it is Illinois football. Who do you think is lining up for this job exactly?

I would normally agree with this, but everything I've heard says Illinois would have given the right guy 3 million a year. So that should've led to a pretty good and deep list of candidates right there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Am I the only person who thinks it's bogus that the Honey Badger is one of the five finalists for the Heisman? When is the last time a Heisman finalist was suspended a game during the season due to drug use?

Is character supposed to be taken into consideration for the Heisman? Because if it's not, Honey Badger should be in New York IMO. To me, he and RG III were clearly the two best players in the country this year.

Toledo coach implies Illinois is a dead-end job

Toledo's director of track and field and cross country, Kevin Hadsell, took to twitter this morning to issue a personal statement on Tim Beckman's decision to leave Toledo for the head coaching job at Illinois.

At 8:23 this morning @Rocketcoach70 said "Beck: Trust me, you are better than Illinois. I almost left for SEC. I stayed & we can be Top-15 next year. Keep rolling! Finish this!"

To top it off, he tweeted again six minutes later saying "You couldn't pay me enough $ to take certain jobs in big conferences. Some schools are dead-end jobs in some sports. Think two moves ahead."

Toledo, control your track coach.

9:30 Update> He's at it again...he has now tweeted, "To be clear on my tweets. I have the utmost respect for Beck. I think he's a great coach and is better than Illinois."

:lolhitting

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
Looks like he did well at Toledo. 14-2 within the conference shows that he can produce results within an equal playing field.

It's not a real 'sexy' hire but the hype isnt there this year for the next MAC coach who is destined to be great. But he has midwest ties so that will help recruiting wise.

Who else is out there really?

Not an exciting hire but I don't think it is a bad one either. The key is building a strong coaching staff around him which they should be able to do based on the money they were willing to pay for a head coach. Keep Koenning and bring in a good offensive coordinator and you have a solid foundation.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
Not an exciting hire but I don't think it is a bad one either. The key is building a strong coaching staff around him which they should be able to do based on the money they were willing to pay for a head coach. Keep Koenning and bring in a good offensive coordinator and you have a solid foundation.

With these types of coaches, the hard part is to remain patient. Gary Pinkel had a similar resume, and his first 4 years were pretty ho-hum. But he's built up quite a program, and has remained loyal because of it (and due to his age and that we paid him comparably). Love me some Pinkel.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Is character supposed to be taken into consideration for the Heisman? Because if it's not, Honey Badger should be in New York IMO. To me, he and RG III were clearly the two best players in the country this year.

To me "Honey Badger" isnt in the same universe as Charles Woodson, the defensive/multi-faceted player profile that is heisman worthy (though should have been stripped of it since he was ineligible in 1997 for taking payments). The guy has only 2 picks, doesnt contribute on offense, and is a good kick returner. He's a good player, a great special teams guy and plays on a dominant team. Thats not heisman worthy IMO.

On the other hand you have a RB who scored the second most TD's to freaking Barry Sanders, and a QB who just blew out both Tebow's and Newton's numbers playing for Baylor.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
To me "Honey Badger" isnt in the same universe as Charles Woodson, the defensive/multi-faceted player profile that is heisman worthy (though should have been stripped of it since he was ineligible in 1997 for taking payments). The guy has only 2 picks, doesnt contribute on offense, and is a good kick returner. He's a good player, a great special teams guy and plays on a dominant team. Thats not heisman worthy IMO.

On the other hand you have a RB who scored the second most TD's to freaking Barry Sanders, and a QB who just blew out both Tebow's and Newton's numbers playing for Baylor.

The Heisman voters care so much about winning, I bet they felt like they had to vote someone on from LSU, the most dominant team in the league. They treat it more like an MVP award for team success than the actual "most outstanding player in collegiate football". In the past ten years, I think 8 of the winners have appeared in the BCS Champ. game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
The Heisman voters care so much about winning, I bet they felt like they had to vote someone on from LSU, the most dominant team in the league. They treat it more like an MVP award for team success than the actual "most outstanding player in collegiate football". In the past ten years, I think 8 of the winners have appeared in the BCS Champ. game.

Since the Heisman started there have really only been 2 (one was an "end") defensive winners of the trophy. If anyone believes that Matheiu is one of the best players ever at his position, then go for it. Otherwise every other candidate is probably more deserving.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
Heads, Is Herman a guy who teaches the QB's good throwing mechanics etc or is he a running/option type coach for the QB?

Spread spread spread spread.

I'm heading out right now.....but he loves zone read and will adjust to whatever Urbs wants.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Am I the only person who thinks it's bogus that the Honey Badger is one of the five finalists for the Heisman? When is the last time a Heisman finalist was suspended a game during the season due to drug use?

LaMichael James was suspended for a game last year and finished 2nd? Not sure why he was suspended.

I have no problem with Mathieu being a finalist. The guy made plays all year long and not just on special teams. Usually guys who are consistently in the right place at the right time to make plays, are there for a reason.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Only the 2nd most TDs in a season in D-1 history. If Wisconsin hadn't given up those two late game hail marys, Ball would be the runaway winner.

I disagree. If Wisconsin has not lost those on those two hail marys, Russell Wilson would be getting a lot of consideration too.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
LaMichael James was suspended for a game last year and finished 2nd? Not sure why he was suspended.

I have no problem with Mathieu being a finalist. The guy made plays all year long and not just on special teams. Usually guys who are consistently in the right place at the right time to make plays, are there for a reason.

He only has 2 picks. He deserves to be a finalist but not close to being a winner. A UM fan like yourself should appreciate the difference between a winner like Woodson and a finalist like HB.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
He only has 2 picks. He deserves to be a finalist but not close to being a winner. A UM fan like yourself should appreciate the difference between a winner like Woodson and a finalist like HB.

It's not just the picks with him. He forces fumbles, recovers them and returns for touchdowns, breaks up passes. A guy like him will never wow you with stats.

That said, I'm not comparing him to Woodson. I just think he has been good enough this year to warrant being a finalist. I could argue that Matt Barkley should be there instead, but not everyone will agree on anything. But watching Mathieu play, he just seems to make big plays at big moments. But I agree, he isn't going to be the winner, nor should he be.

Edited by Rex Hudler