U.S. launches airstrikes on Libya

bmags

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny how we usually get the kids before the dads...

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=n...&id=8291053

August 5, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The youngest son of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, who the ABC7 I-Team revealed to be a stealth Northwestern University graduate student, was reportedly killed in an airstrike.

Al Jazeera says rebels claim that Gaddafi's son Khamis was killed in a NATO airstrike. According to the Arab news network, Mohammed Zawawi, a spokesman for the rebels, said, "Overnight, there was an aircraft attack by NATO on the Gaddafi operations room in Zlitan, and there are around 32 Gaddafi troops killed. One of them is Khamis."

NATO has not confirmed the death of Khamis but is currently looking into the report. The Gaddafi government denies Khamis is dead but has yet to produce him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
We should be helping. There is nothing good about the government of Syria.

We're going to be awfully busy/even more broke if we start helping everybody with a bad government. How bad must it be before we help, too? This needs to be properly defined.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
We're going to be awfully busy/even more broke if we start helping everybody with a bad government. How bad must it be before we help, too? This needs to be properly defined.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
America's Freedom Packages
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor & Satire Blog The Daily Show on Facebook

Done.

• 2 weeks later...

Link

Having been at the front line it's clear to me, I think, the regime in Tripoli – it's a matter of days, or even hours, before it collapses. The rebels are advancing, they're more or less at the gates of Tripoli... My sense is that Tripoli will fall in the next day or two, possibly as early as tomorrow.
If this is the endgame, then this would be a major and unexpected (for me anyway) success for this Administration's foreign policy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
A guy in a midlife crisis?

Dammit, beat me to it!

Anyway, have to admit this whole thing didn't go the way I thought it would. I didn't think we'd get involved... if we did, I thought we'd be in the lead... thought the regime would either crumble quickly or not for a very long time. Wrong on all counts.

So if the regime falls (I guess it will sooner rather than later)... then what? The last time we asked that question after a round or three of triumphant chest-beating it became clear nobody had a clue what the f*** to do and the s*** hit the fan and kept flying. Not really keen on having that happen again.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
So if the regime falls (I guess it will sooner rather than later)... then what? The last time we asked that question after a round or three of triumphant chest-beating it became clear nobody had a clue what the f*** to do and the s*** hit the fan and kept flying. Not really keen on having that happen again.

That's exactly it.

There was actually an interesting piece on Al-Jezeera English about leaders and possible fractures within the rebels a few days ago.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)

Honestly it will really help to have some sort of a military presence there at that point because then we can help install some stability and transition.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
Honestly it will really help to have some sort of a military presence there at that point because then we can help install some stability and transition.

That has been the logical mindset for some time, but then, that didn't work well in Afghanistan, and didn't really work at all in Iraq. Putting aside that we can't un-do the decision to have prompted this in Libya, now that we are here, maybe it works best to give the locals a try at it instead of us. Our track record on nation-building recently is ugly to say the least. Worst case in Libya is that it becomes a haven for terrorists and human rights conditions are bad, but then, that is exactly what it already was.

What may happen though, is a military presence IS there, but not a US one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
I expected all of the answers about Afghanistan and Iraq, but if you stop and think about it could you build a government from the ground up? Even having some help is better than none at all.

Again, I agree that seems logical. But quite frankly, I think the US is no good at it. Let Europe take a crack at it this time.