White Sox have interest in Freddy Garcia

justBLAZE

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
#chisox considering freddy garcia. they like him. issue is return of peavy (june maybe) would make it 6 starters. - Jon Heyman

This would be consistent with recent reports that Sale is likely to be the closer.

I think most of us would be ok with Freddy at #5 for half the season (or less). I'm not sure what the Sox do when Peavy is back, but having too much pitching is rarely a problem.

I have brought it up a few times in different threads plus mentioned it in the Will Ohman signing. The fact that KW signed Ohman with 2 lefties already in the pen, and now is looking at Freddy, adheres to the theory that Peavy wont just be out 5 or 6 starts, it could be more like 10-15 starts. Thats why I brought up the threads on Capuano and Galarraga, becuase most of what I have read (not from the sox themselves), had Peavy's starts made, his over/under, pegged at about 16.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Sign me up as well, I'll gladly take Freddy in the long relief role when Jake is back ala Carrasco in 08.

EDIT: or was it 09?

At least our doctor friend Ptatc has suggested that Freddo might really struggle in the long relief role, because he needs a while to warm up, especially after his injury.

I think all of us can remember in 2005/2006 how terrible Freddy was before he warmed up. For example, 2005, his ERA in the first inning was 6.55, and it was 2.45 in the 2nd inning. Last year the difference was smaller but still there.

Coming out of the bullpen in long relief, you're trying to stop the bleeding first, you're trying to get a number of innings second. And you're often doing trying to stop the bleeding on a limited warmup, because the pitcher fell apart.

I'd be fine with that. Use him as a 5th starter JFP comes back or if someone else gets hurt. Use Sale as the closer for another year, before he gets his chance in the rotation. If they end up with 6 starts when Peavy is back, I'm sure they can figure something out with Freddy.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
I have brought it up a few times in different threads plus mentioned it in the Will Ohman signing. The fact that KW signed Ohman with 2 lefties already in the pen, and now is looking at Freddy, adheres to the theory that Peavy wont just be out 5 or 6 starts, it could be more like 10-15 starts. Thats why I brought up the threads on Capuano and Galarraga, becuase most of what I have read (not from the sox themselves), had Peavy's starts made, his over/under, pegged at about 16.

I disagree on this one...if either Sale or Thornton are going to be the primary closer, then the Sox still needed another lefty even if Peavy started from day 1.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
I disagree on this one...if either Sale or Thornton are going to be the primary closer, then the Sox still needed another lefty even if Peavy started from day 1.

Which isnt set in stone either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)

Exactly. Ozzie loves the matchup game too much to not have 2 other lefties in the pen if Sale/Matt are designated as the teams closer.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
I still think assuming he is healthy the Wsox should look into Duchesier(sp?) from the A's... He should be durable enough to last half a season and when Peavy returns he has experience in the bullpen as well.

Ha! I was *just* about to post that here.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
If we have the money for Freddy, then we had the money for Andruw Jones. <_>

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
I thought the "F" stood for "Fragile" ? ?

Well for the reason you put in your next post, having a solid 6th starter could provide more value than a really good 4th of for this current Sox team.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Well for the reason you put in your next post, having a solid 6th starter could provide more value than a really good 4th of for this current Sox team.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather use Sale/Pena/Humber in the 5th slot than have De Aza or Teahen as our backup OF'ers.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
If we have the money for Freddy, then we had the money for Andruw Jones. <_>

First thing that came to my mind. Now unless Coop, ect, are totally on some bulls***, which wouldn't surprise me at all, Peavy is ahead of schedule and doesn't figure to miss more than 5-6 starts. However, if he's out for a much longer extended period of time, then Freddy becomes almost essential. The thought of Tony Pena or Lucas Harell for 12-15 starts gives me nightmares.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
Plus the Sox would be okay if (heaven forbid) another starter went down for an extended period of time.

The only thing I'd be worried about is KW then turning around and trading another starter away so the Sox would have to depend on Freddo for the entire season.

There is no chance Williams is going to trade a starter this late in the offseason, barring the "blown away" package.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Call me crazy, but I'd rather use Sale/Pena/Humber in the 5th slot than have De Aza or Teahen as our backup OF'ers.

Teahen was always going to be a 4th outfielder and corner infielder for this team. And as much as I would have loved Jones back - I even said early in the offseason that it would have been one of the first moves I would have made - I can't disagree with it at this time. Adam Dunn still hits lefties fairly well, and though Quentin struggles against them, Ozzie would never take him out against a lefty. And hopefully Viciedo adapts to the outfield well enough so that he can be adequate come anytime from June till the end of the season in case they do need a lefty masher on the bench.

Sale is probably going to be in the bullpen this year and moving to the rotation following that, Pena proved he is awful as a starting pitcher, and I don't know why you keep bringing up Humber's name.

You're crazy.

Edited by witesoxfan