Keith Law's top ten

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
Law thinks Viciedo is not a prospect. He also thinks that Sale is going to be a closer at best, FWIW.

Not a prospect in that he played in the majors some last year? Or just not a prospect because Law does not think highly of him?

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Not a prospect in that he played in the majors some last year? Or just not a prospect because Law does not think highly of him?

Law doesn't think he's going to be anything in the majors.

Law also, for reasons no one has ever really determined, seems to consistently be far more negative on the Sox (majors or minors) than, well, pretty much any other national writer. So I'd take his evaluation of Sox players with a giant mound of salt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Law doesn't think he's going to be anything in the majors.

Law also, for reasons no one has ever really determined, seems to consistently be far more negative on the Sox (majors or minors) than, well, pretty much any other national writer. So I'd take his evaluation of Sox players with a giant mound of salt.

I knew Law tended to be negative on the Sox, but not thinking Viciedo is a top 10 Sox prospect is pretty bad. Law makes my "ignore" list! :D

Edited by Disco72

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
No matter what you think about Dayan overall, to not have him on the Sox top 10 list is an absolute f***in joke.

Yeah, I actually like Law. But to not have DV in the top 10 in our pathetic joke of a system is inexcusable. Dayan's got more talent is his right ankle than about 90 percent of our overall system.

I'm almost positive that under Law's system Dayan isn't eligible for his list. He no longer has prospect status.

I believe in his prospect chat he states that Dayan is a DH that doesn't walk, but if learns some patience, look out. He also notes his impressive raw power.

Methinks people are just looking for more reason to dislike Mr. Law.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm almost positive that under Law's system Dayan isn't eligible for his list. He no longer has prospect status.

I believe in his prospect chat he states that Dayan is a DH that doesn't walk, but if learns some patience, look out. He also notes his impressive raw power.

Yeah. Viciedo was #7 last season, so I find it hard to believe Law would just drop him off the list unless he was ineligible.

No, he makes it very easy with his negative bias on the Sox.

If you just read Keith Law's take on the White Sox and never watched a game or read a newspaper or listened to the radio, you would think the White Sox haven't had a 50 win season in at least 20 years. I am not exaggerating. I'm tough on KW and Ozzie, but you could take the biggest pessimist on this board and compare him to Law and the Soxtalk poster would seem like Hawk Harrelson. Law doesn't have anything nice to say about the White Sox. KW must have really pissed him off when Law was working for Toronto.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
If you just read Keith Law's take on the White Sox and never watched a game or read a newspaper or listened to the radio, you would think the White Sox haven't had a 50 win season in at least 20 years. I am not exaggerating. I'm tough on KW and Ozzie, but you could take the biggest pessimist on this board and compare him to Law and the Soxtalk poster would seem like Hawk Harrelson. Law doesn't have anything nice to say about the White Sox. KW must have really pissed him off when Law was working for Toronto.

I don't disagree. I'm not in love with Keith Law myself but I think it's pretty evident why Dayan is omitted from the list, and it's not because the author has an axe to grind.

Edit: Here is the chat excerpt I mentioned above. He clearly doesn't consider Dayan a "non-prospect."

Great work, few White Sox questions for you: how do you feel about Jared Mitchell and his return from injury, Brent Morel’s prospects as a starting 3B, and your thoughts on what should be done with Sale and Viciedo?

Law: I wrote about Mitchell for an extra piece tomorrow. Sale is a reliever for me, but a good one. Viciedo is a DH who doesn’t walk; if he walks, he can be pretty good because there’s some big raw power there. Morel for me is a fringy regular, doesn’t have any above-average tools.

Edited by DirtySox

Yea, cmon we all watched Tank last year; we know he has as good a shot as anybody at being a MLBer. He put up good stats in limited time. Now i know you can say "wha wha small sample size" but he could have put up bad numbers but he didn't. He put up ridiculous numbers for a 20 yr old. Imagine if he put up horrible numbers last year, the talk would be different around here I guarantee it.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Yea, cmon we all watched Tank last year; we know he has as good a shot as anybody at being a MLBer. He put up good stats in limited time. Now i know you can say "wha wha small sample size" but he could have put up bad numbers but he didn't. He put up ridiculous numbers for a 20 yr old. Imagine if he put up horrible numbers last year, the talk would be different around here I guarantee it.

.282 with 25 HR is not bad for a 20-year-old between AAA and MLB in 110 games.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
.282 with 25 HR is not bad for a 20-year-old between AAA and MLB in 110 games.

Yea it's insanely good. Nice combination of the AAA and MLB- never saw that and it blows me away even more. I love when people act like this is all he can be. I'm 26 and I've learned so much in these past 6 years it's ridiculous. He's not even a man yet.

Sure are a lot of people ignoring the fact that KLaw loved Beckham, and still does for that matter. He also liked Hudson and liked the Dunn signed. And I'm sure everybody in this thread just missed his quote in his latest column regarding Sale and the White Sox:

you can't underestimate the effect Don Cooper and Ozzie Guillen seem to have on relievers.

If you all want someplace that will feed you the kool-aid go there. Don't be mad when a writer tells you his actually opinion instead of pandering to the stupid.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Sure are a lot of people ignoring the fact that KLaw loved Beckham, and still does for that matter. He also liked Hudson and liked the Dunn signed. And I'm sure everybody in this thread just missed his quote in his latest column regarding Sale and the White Sox:

If you all want someplace that will feed you the kool-aid go there. Don't be mad when a writer tells you his actually opinion instead of pandering to the stupid.

And likewise, don't be mad when you get called out for being naive and turning a blind eye to the obvious.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 07:33 AM)
And likewise, don't be mad when you get called out for being naive and turning a blind eye to the obvious.

Obvious to what? His job is to tell you what he thinks. Do you really want to real articles that say every player is the best, like you're watching ESPN coverage of the NFL draft? Again, I can go to Whitesox.com and read articles on how great Jordan Danks and Tyler Flowers are. If only it were true.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Obvious to what? His job is to tell you what he thinks. Do you really want to real articles that say every player is the best, like you're watching ESPN coverage of the NFL draft? Again, I can go to Whitesox.com and read articles on how great Jordan Danks and Tyler Flowers are. If only it were true.

You're missing the point. You are arguing that we, as Soxtalkers, want sunshine blown up our a**es by Law. That's not true. What many of us feel is that Law consistently rates Sox players and prospects below other analysts and writers. Sure, Law may like a Sox player/prospect or two, but it remains a valid point that he consistently rates Sox players/prospects lower than others do.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
You're missing the point. You are arguing that we, as Soxtalkers, want sunshine blown up our a**es by Law. That's not true. What many of us feel is that Law consistently rates Sox players and prospects below other analysts and writers. Sure, Law may like a Sox player/prospect or two, but it remains a valid point that he consistently rates Sox players/prospects lower than others do.

Which prospect has he been wrong about? The whole KLaw anti-white sox is the new measuring column inches in the tribune. It's pretty embarrassing actually.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Which prospect has he been wrong about? The whole KLaw anti-white sox is the new measuring column inches in the tribune. It's pretty embarrassing actually.

In order to make a fair comparison, you would have to compare his right/wrong rates for the Sox versus all other major league teams because all teams' prospects fail at an incredibly large rate.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
In order to make a fair comparison, you would have to compare his right/wrong rates for the Sox versus all other major league teams because all teams' prospects fail at an incredibly large rate.

I for one am still impressed at his ability to continue ripping on Alexei's OBP while ignoring everything else he's doing.