sox fans in surrounding states

Princess Dye

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
Did you live there during the WS? Cuz I only remember meeting 2 sox fans while I lived in Ann Arbor, and I met them both during the 2005 WS in the place that's on top of Good Time Charlie's.

I remember making my rounds to all my friends rooms on my floor and would turn the sox game on throughout the entire playoffs. By the time we made it to the world series I had actually turned some of them into sox fans. It beat watching the games alone!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
Unfortunately I was in Southeastern MI, in Ann Arbor. I was one of 2 Sox fans that I met (Im sure there were a few studnets at UMich that came from CHicago and were Sox fans) but 99% were Tiger fans or Cubs fans.

Gross.

It was incredible the amount of tigers fans that came out of the woodwork when they started doing well in '06. It was hard to cheer for maggs at that point even though he was one of my favorite players when he played for the sox.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
Did you live there during the WS? Cuz I only remember meeting 2 sox fans while I lived in Ann Arbor, and I met them both during the 2005 WS in the place that's on top of Good Time Charlie's.

Yea, I lived there 8th grade through high school through 2008. So I was a sophomore when they won the WS, I was the only Sox fan that I encountered in Ann Arbor, but then again I wasnt going to bars to watch the games. There were actually a few Astros fans lol.

The worst was 2006 when the Tigers became good again, talk about bandwagon fans. And some of the dumbest fans out there too, went to a few games at Comerica and every pop up all the fans thought it was a HR, even on ones that didn't leave the infield.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
It was incredible the amount of tigers fans that came out of the woodwork when they started doing well in '06. It was hard to cheer for maggs at that point even though he was one of my favorite players when he played for the sox.

Yup. Most Michigan fans are really big bandwagoners, when the Pistons were on their run they were the talk of the town, they fall out of contention and nobody even aligns with them anymore. Same with the Tigers, they start winning and suddenly everyone is acting like theyve been a fan their whole lives, but when they sucked no one really ever claimed to be Tiger fan.

Of course you have the die hard fans here and there, but it was unusual to find a Tigers fan before 2006. The only pro team the city really supports through thick and thin that I have seen is the Lions. They pack Ford Field pretty much every week, and those fans are always overly optimistic.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
Yea, I lived there 8th grade through high school through 2008. So I was a sophomore when they won the WS, I was the only Sox fan that I encountered in Ann Arbor, but then again I wasnt going to bars to watch the games. There were actually a few Astros fans lol.

The worst was 2006 when the Tigers became good again, talk about bandwagon fans. And some of the dumbest fans out there too, went to a few games at Comerica and every pop up all the fans thought it was a HR, even on ones that didn't leave the infield.

To be fair, they hadn't seen a homer since the early 90's at that point.

I went to pretty much every Sox game at Comerica and you're right, they're terrible. Worst hecklers EVER, too. "Hey, Sox guy, the Sox are stupid! You're stupid! IDIOT! HAHAHAHA!" Apparently, that passed for good heckling to the other fans also, cuz they would actually laugh. It was pretty astounding. They'd usually shut up when the Tigers started losing, though. Which was always.

i haven't met many sox fans out here. there's a ton of transplanted chicagoans, but all of the one's i've met are cub fans. and you don't find too many locals who root for the sox.

strangely enough one of the main local radio sportstalk hosts is a pretty big sox fan and from chicago. he doesn't talk about it on his show often, but it gets referenced from time to time.

In winter there are hundreds of Cub fans down here. They all leave as soon as the weather in Iowa, Kansas, etc gets warmer. We are so far away from either Texas markets that the Astros and Ranger stuff is kind of split without much fierce rivalries. The only time I had to tone down my Sox love was during the world series, Astros fans seem to come out of the woodwork.