Freddy signs with NYY

Pale Sox

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
Crasnick twitter.

He must have really wanted to play for the Yankees if he was cool with a minor league deal.

That, or the Sox did not want him as much as we think we did.

I read somewhere the Sox were only offering about 500k guaranteed. I personally would have taken him back at that price, but Freddy could blow up at anytime. One less Oney playmate. If he makes the team he gets a 1.5 million contract with some incentives.

Edited by Dick Allen

Freddy continues to be underrated.

2010 league average (180IP): 4.14 ERA; 1.344 WHIP; 8.9 H/9; 1.0 HR/9; 3.2 BB/9; 6.8 K/9

2010 Freddy Garcia (157IP): 4.64 ERA; 1.376 WHIP; 9.8 H/9; 1.3 HR/9; 2.6 BB/9; 5.1 K/9

Freddy wasn't too far from being a league average pitcher last year, with the main knock being IP after his first full season back from surgery. And if you look at all the pitchers Freddy outperformed last year (and some of them may be surprising) while taking into account their salaries, what Freddy did for us was pretty damn valuable. He's certainly worth $2M guaranteed, so I have to believe there were better money offers out there. Freddy needs the opportunity to win a starting job and keep it though, so I'm sure that's why he went to New York. Good luck to him.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)

2010 league average (180IP): 4.14 ERA; 1.344 WHIP; 8.9 H/9; 1.0 HR/9; 3.2 BB/9; 6.8 K/9

2010 Freddy Garcia (157IP): 4.64 ERA; 1.376 WHIP; 9.8 H/9; 1.3 HR/9; 2.6 BB/9; 5.1 K/9

Freddy wasn't too far from being a league average pitcher last year, with the main knock being IP after his first full season back from surgery. And if you look at all the pitchers Freddy outperformed last year (and some of them may be surprising) while taking into account their salaries, what Freddy did for us was pretty damn valuable. He's certainly worth $2M guaranteed, so I have to believe there were better money offers out there. Freddy needs the opportunity to win a starting job and keep it though, so I'm sure that's why he went to New York. Good luck to him.

Yeah, but he's a hell of a lot more likely to regress than tend towards the league average or even maintain.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)

Freddy's worth it as long as you pay him less than $4-5 million a year.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Yeah, but he's a hell of a lot more likely to regress than tend towards the league average or even maintain.

Perhaps in that ballpark and in that division, but Freddy post-surgery does a better job taking care of himself, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up physically stronger next season and capable of working deeper into games than last season. The pressure in NY isn't going to get to Freddy, but the bandbox part of it may. I'd like his chances to equal or improve upon what he did here last year however had he re-signed with us.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
Freddy's worth it as long as you pay him less than $4-5 million a year.

Agreed.

People like to trash Freddy because the FB isn't nearly what it used to be, but the secondary stuff is there and he knows how to pitch. Sometimes I think people forget how easy it is for MLB hitters to park mid-90's heat when they don't have to worry about the guy on the mound getting his breaking ball over. For a team like the Yankees who are going to contend no matter what, a guy like Freddy could definitely make a difference, because even when he's not at his best, he can still get himself out of jams and get the Yankee offense back up there.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
Perhaps in that ballpark and in that division, but Freddy post-surgery does a better job taking care of himself, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up physically stronger next season and capable of working deeper into games than last season. The pressure in NY isn't going to get to Freddy, but the bandbox part of it may. I'd like his chances to equal or improve upon what he did here last year however had he re-signed with us.

Garcia isn't ever going to be able to work deep into games consistently. To work deep into a game as a starting pitcher, you have to be able to attack the strike zone and be the aggressor. That isn't his game anymore. If Garcia attacks the strikezone on a consistent basis, he is going to be pummeled. He was successful last year because he could locate his offspeed pitches pretty well and make hitters get themselves out, so his success is really dependent on the aggressiveness of the other team. When he has to throw the ball in the zone, especially his fastball, he gets hit very hard. Further, due to his injury history, you really don't want Garcia throwing a ton of pitches either, so even though he isn't throwing that hard, it is hard relative to the durability of his shoulder.

Naturally there will be times when he is locating particularly well and his junk is working and he is keeping hitters off balance to the point where he will get a 7-8 inning game in, but there will be other times when he will go 4-6 innings and either have to be pulled because he has gotten hit hard or because he has reached his pitch count. I think the most innings Freddy Garcia can pitch from this point on is about 180 innings, and I think that is even pushing it.

As insulting as it is....I give Freddy his due for obviously not giving too much of a s*** about salary. He knew what he wanted. He wanted to pitch for the Yankees once in his career. I think it's a cliched and stupid goal, but who am I to judge. He sacrificed money to do what he wanted. Hard to not respect.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
Garcia isn't ever going to be able to work deep into games consistently. To work deep into a game as a starting pitcher, you have to be able to attack the strike zone and be the aggressor. That isn't his game anymore. If Garcia attacks the strikezone on a consistent basis, he is going to be pummeled. He was successful last year because he could locate his offspeed pitches pretty well and make hitters get themselves out, so his success is really dependent on the aggressiveness of the other team. When he has to throw the ball in the zone, especially his fastball, he gets hit very hard. Further, due to his injury history, you really don't want Garcia throwing a ton of pitches either, so even though he isn't throwing that hard, it is hard relative to the durability of his shoulder.

Great point. I remember last year, as soon as you saw the umpire's strike zone, you would know how long Freddy would last. If the ump was being generous on the corners, Freddy would be OK, cause he'd be able to dance his pitches around the zone. But if the strike zone was tight, he would have no chance. Either he would walk guys or would have to get it in the middle of the zone, and the ball would be getting hit very, very hard.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)
Very surprising to see him only on a minor league deal. Of course with the state of the Yankees staff he should have a pretty good chance to be on the major league roster I'd imagine.

I'm personally more surprised to see him wind up in the AL, rather than in the NL.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Damn. Wanted Freddy as a swingman.

Others have noted that keeping him as a swingman is tough, because he not only takes a while to warm up (remember 2005-2006 how he'd have an ERA over 6 in the first inning?), but he also has to make sure his arm is loose after the injury.

Watching him last year the eye test told me he was washed up by the end. His velocity got pathetic and a good hitter would wait for him to lay it in there. He is not a bullpen type so let the Yankees build an over the hill junk pile.

Edited by since56

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Watching him last year the eye test told me he was washed up by the end. His velocity got pathetic and a good hitter would wait for him to lay it in there. He is not a bullpen type so let the Yankees build an over the hill junk pile.

I think everyone felt that way watching him but he still somehow managed to get hitters out. I'm certainly not his biggest fan at this point but he's definitely an upgrade over what we're going to have to throw out there until Peavy gets back.