The Jermaine Dye Saga...

Cali

“I’m still working out. I’m still in shape. I’m still motivated,” Dye said. “If nobody wants to put me on a team, I can’t do much about that. But I’m not going to go for a minor-league contract."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/02/jerm...Trade+Rumors%29

What a sad ending to a pretty classy guy and good ballplayer....

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
He had major league offers last year,probably more than one. His own fault he is being forced into retirement.

Did he? I'm not saying your wrong. I just don't recall. I remember the Nationals being brought up. But I remember it being a minor league deal being possibly offered.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
Something changed in Dye like 2 1/2 years ago. Heard some places it was marital issues, but he just hasn't been the same guy since.

I have a friend who is still in the A's marketing organization and apparently JD loved to take strippers to Hawaii with him, would take them golfing/have them caddy for him, have them strip down and lie down on the green next to the hole and give him something to aim at.

He always used to ping me when he would see one of the Boys/Girls Clubs of America ads while he was with the Sox. Full respect. Love JD, bring that man a contract!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
Did he? I'm not saying your wrong. I just don't recall. I remember the Nationals being brought up. But I remember it being a minor league deal being possibly offered.

I could be wrong but I seem to be remembering him getting a number of major league offers but none of them with a guarantee of being an everyday outfielder

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
Also, I don't see how wanted a major league offer is whining. If he would rather retire than settle for a bad contract, then I applaud him for not just trying to get that extra $500K to be minor league fodder.

I wouldn't call it whining but in the end, his inability to swallow his pride and compromise on a gig did end his career.

It was a huge mistake for Dye to refuse the offers last year (IIRC the Cubs and Brewers had each offered 3 million). You can't show people you're not done from your sofa. Giving away that year, especially after the September he had in '09, just made it easier for everyone to write him off.

It's a damn shame. Dye was one of the main reasons the Sox won in '05 and one of my favorites to wear the Sox uniform, but if he wants to show he's still got something in the tank it's going to have to be a minor-league deal/spring training invite.

Last year, Dye was offended at $3 million offers. Then this offseason he says its not about the money he wants to play for a contender. Fine, but why would a contender give him anything but a minor league deal? If he is still able to hit, he'll make a team. If he can't he wins a trip to AZ or FL for 6 weeks. He was horrid the second half of 2009, sat out last year, and isn't exactly getting younger. JD has had a nice career, but really if his ego doesn't shrink and he quits instead of tries to make a comeback, I bet he'll regret it in a few years. He most likely doesn't need the money, but when you have the gift he was given, if he really loves to play and compete, he should try to do it for as long as he can.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 12:41 AM)
I thought he was offered like 3M+ by the Cubs or something, but he said no.

link

Report: Jermaine Dye rejected offer from Cubs

January 29, 2010 2:35 PM

Former White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye turned down a $3.3 million offer from the Cubs to be their fourth outfielder, according to a Tweet from ESPN reporter Jerry Crasnick.

Crasnick cites an major-league baseball executive as his source for Dye rejecting a deal that eventually went to Xavier Nady. Dye reportedly is hoping to sign with a team that will make him an everyday player.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
The man made up his mind what he was willing to do, and what he wasn't willing to do. I can respect that.

^^ that^^

Some people would continue to work at their jobs for less than half what they use to make, most would not.