Gotta give the O's an "A" for effort...

Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
They sign Vlad for 8M. Sign Derrek Lee, Kevin Greg and trade for Mark Reynolds. Good for them for at least trying...too bad their pitching staff is horrendous.

Don't forget J.J. Hardy.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 01:36 AM)
I think the O's pitching staff actually has some talent in it. Arrieta and Tillman were considered top pitching prospects and if Duchscherer stays healthy between him, Guthrie, and Matusz it could be worse.

Tillman and Arrieta have been very underwhelming so far. But, yeah. Both are still very young and there's still plenty of time for them to put it together. I wouldn't expect a thing from Duchscherer. I'd be surprised if they got 100 innings from him.

I dont get it, they have a division that basically gurantees the Yanks and Red Sox playoff berths. They added about $30M in payroll this year and for what. What is so special about 2011 that warranted Vlad on a 1 year deal, DLee on a 1 year deal, Ducescher on 1 year deal, trade for Reynolds, trade for Hardy, and a 2 year deal for Kevin Gregg. Im not saying they didnt get better, but they did all this to go from 66 wins in 2010 to maybe 74 if things work out for them in 2011. Whats the point, yeah they will draw some more fans, but id rather just keep a low payroll and let my kids and young pitching staff develop and get major league time.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 02:11 AM)
I dont get it, they have a division that basically gurantees the Yanks and Red Sox playoff berths. They added about $30M in payroll this year and for what. What is so special about 2011 that warranted Vlad on a 1 year deal, DLee on a 1 year deal, Ducescher on 1 year deal, trade for Reynolds, trade for Hardy, and a 2 year deal for Kevin Gregg. Im not saying they didnt get better, but they did all this to go from 66 wins in 2010 to maybe 74 if things work out for them in 2011. Whats the point, yeah they will draw some more fans, but id rather just keep a low payroll and let my kids and young pitching staff develop and get major league time.

Looks to me they've supplemented their young core with proven, still productive vets. Their prospects for '11 ultimately will come down to said core. Nick Markakis has had two down seasons in comparison to his breakout '08 that net him a 6-year, $66 million dollar deal. But this is the mythical 'age 27' season for him. Adam Jones sucked most of last year. But he did finish strong, is only 25 and has as much defensive ability as any CF in the majors. And like I said in the catch-all thread, Matt Wieters has been a big buzz-kill considering the hype. But he's like 23, I think. And only Matusz has shown anything at the major league level, he was sick the last two months or so last year, out of the much ballyhooed bevy of high-ceiling pitching prospects they were thought to have had a couple years ago. I guess what I'm saying there's still quite a bit of upside here. They won't win the division. But a Blue Jays type season from a year ago could be attainable. Which would be a huge step in the right direction for that franchise.

I was actually pretty high on the O's coming into 2010. Nothing really went right for them, but I still like their chances with a few "post hype prospects" developing into what everyone hoped they would.

I'm a big Tillman fan. That curveball is something special. Wieters HAS to improve (doesn't he?), and the so on.

I feel for the O's fans. They're stuck in an impossible division. The Yankees and Red Sox are given contenders, the Rays are looking like consistent heavyweights, and the Jays are looking like a potential powerhouse too (richest ownership in baseball/smart front office). I'd like to see the Orioles at least get back to respectability. It's always sad when a team with a proud history goes into an extended stretch of being pathetic. The Pirates, for example.

Made it out to Camden last season for Sale's debut. Still one of the most beautiful parks in baseball. Great food, great fans. Nothing wrong with adding a little veteran star power to get the fans excited. God knows they need it. It's not like we're talking about Andruw Jones here ...

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 02:11 AM)

Their fans. This is one of the better baseball towns/fanbases in the nation and they have been stuck with a loser for the better part of 25 years. They're frustrated with Peter Angelos, and they are demanding the organization make some sort of effort to compete. Definitely a few steps away still, but I think it buys them time with their fanbase when they make signings of this nature.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
So does this move mean that Luke Scott moves out of the DH spot and back to the OF?

Oh no, you brought up the name Luke Scott, now we are going to have 33 threads if the Sox should acquire him.................

I have always hated the O's because of 1983, but they have suffered enough and it would be nice to see them challenge the big 2 in the AL East.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:11 AM)
I dont get it, they have a division that basically gurantees the Yanks and Red Sox playoff berths.

with the yankees rotation i wouldn't be locking them into anything. Heck it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they finished 3rd this season at all.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)

The more you win, the better the development is for those kids. They need to be learning from good players, who know how to win.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
looks like they have a good fake try going on.

which is better than not trying at all, i suppose.

I'm not sure why you're labeling it a "fake" effort. They went for major FAs and were told no, so were the NYY, did the NYY also give a fake effort? They went with Plans B, C, D, etc. in places and improved their offense, pitching is extremely hard to upgrade.

You just never know in basebal I'm not saying it's going to happen, but what if the Yankees start to feel their age, not to mention their not so good pitching. Boston has injury problems again. The Rays have a down season, & the Blue Jays have growing pains. Again, not likely that all of these things happen, but possible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
Their fans. This is one of the better baseball towns/fanbases in the nation and they have been stuck with a loser for the better part of 25 years. They're frustrated with Peter Angelos, and they are demanding the organization make some sort of effort to compete. Definitely a few steps away still, but I think it buys them time with their fanbase when they make signings of this nature.

That's about right. The attendance is pathetic, but it's not because they don't love the team out here, they're just sick of losing. what's this going on 12, 14 years now?

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Good point, it just made me laugh going back to the trade deadline threads from last year.

I like Scott a lot, not sure what their respective contract situations are, but everything being equal, due to his health issues at times, I wouldn't mind having Scott over Q at this point. Kind of a close call, both had over 500 abs last year, but Scott is a better defender, IMO.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:11 AM)

They haven't had a winning season since '97. I applaud them for trying to turn around their culture of losing and reviving their club which has a rich history.

And I think they're going to be an 80-win team at least in '11. I'll make a sig-bet with anyone willing to take it.

They could finish anywhere from 2nd to last depending on the other teams. Toronto?

Tampa- falling off?

New York-geriactic ward

They must improve the pitching to be taken seriously as a play off contender.

Now that they got Vlad maybe the Sox could get luke Scott!

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
They could finish anywhere from 2nd to last depending on the other teams. Toronto?

Tampa- falling off?

New York-geriactic ward

They must improve the pitching to be taken seriously as a play off contender.

Now that they got Vlad maybe the Sox could get luke Scott!

The awkward handshake between Luke Scott and Obama after a hypothetical World Series win would be hilarious.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
They haven't had a winning season since '97. I applaud them for trying to turn around their culture of losing and reviving their club which has a rich history.

And I think they're going to be an 80-win team at least in '11. I'll make a sig-bet with anyone willing to take it.

As of right now, I might be willing to take that bet. Rotation = not good.