*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic...

X-Sport is running a "free personal training" session for anyone interested in February. Now the gym is packed and the machines I use for weight training always taken by some personal trainer spending 25-30 minutes explaining what a weight is... and it's f***ing annoying.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
Any opinion? I have the opportunity to pick up a new one with book and video for $100.

It is a good supplement to a total body workout. I like the suspended pulls and push ups as part of a good circuit training, especially since you can modify them to change it day to day. Good technology.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
A raisin bagel? I just threw up in my mouth. Please tell me that's not your comfort food?

i said CINNAMON raisin! Its delicioso! I just love bagels ... Cinnamon raisin is my fave, but i love blueberry, plain, onion.. It doesnt matter.. Slap some cream cheese on it and hand it over!!

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
i said CINNAMON raisin! Its delicioso! I just love bagels ... Cinnamon raisin is my fave, but i love blueberry, plain, onion.. It doesnt matter.. Slap some cream cheese on it and hand it over!!

Just wait until your metabolism slows down and bagels get cut out of your diet. I miss them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
You could just have this turned into perhaps a "Workout thread" that could be bounced on occasion.

Maybe, I was thinking if we had a forum we could do workout of the month posts and whatnot, make it more community oriented. No big deal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
Maybe, I was thinking if we had a forum we could do workout of the month posts and whatnot, make it more community oriented. No big deal.

This would be awesome.

Just hit week 5 of 12 of that workout regiment I posted earlier, and it's starting to intensify quite a bit. I mentioned the Spartacus Workout to my bro-in-law and I think we'll probably do that after this is over.

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
oh hush your dirty little mouth!!! Hopefully to God that never has to happen :(

With women I've seen it in mid-twenties to late 20's. It will happen sometime, then either you amp up the workouts or cut down the diet. I blew up early in my 20's after dedicating myself to the McD's monopoly game, but have leaned down now in my late 20's.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
With women I've seen it in mid-twenties to late 20's. It will happen sometime, then either you amp up the workouts or cut down the diet. I blew up early in my 20's after dedicating myself to the McD's monopoly game, but have leaned down now in my late 20's.

I'm 26 now, I weigh less now than I have at any point in my adult life, at 5'8" 116lbs, i am miserable. I hate the way my clothes fit, I think I look disgusting. I'm HOPING for some of the cream cheese and fast food to catch up with me! LOL ...I do excercise though ...I want to be thicker, but not sloppy!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)

Pretty sure I'm still working some of that stuff off and the only time I did it was 2 and a half years ago.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
Well in the interest of getting some more traffic to this thread and perhaps getting a pinned one, I'll write a 30 and 60 min workout of the month based on some of the feedback above.

I just made it the official work out thread for now. We'll just use this for now and if we keep getting a lot of traffic, we can do something else if necessary.

And ya, write up a work out of the month, that's a good idea. The more feedback/work out ideas anyone can give the better since we obviously have a variety of people with different fitness levels who read this.

On an actual work out note, I think I'm going to start doing some more high intensity stuff to up my explosiveness when it comes to sports a bit. I'm starting to play in a lot of different sports leagues again and I want to be at the top of my game.

So on January 10, I decided to dedicate myself to getting in shape for the first time since sophomore year of college. I weighed in at 211.7 lbs. This morning I weighed in at 189.6. My goal weight was originally 185, but i think I might shoot for 180 with a lot of muscle.

This has been painful, yet fun.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 12:48 AM)
I'm too lazy to join a gym, so I'll do my 50 push ups in the morning, 50 push ups at night, work on my biceps with some dumbells (squats and normal extensions) and do the plank for bout 2 to 3 mins, and that's my routine.

I would suggest changing up those exercises a few time a week. For example, change the regular pushups into 4 sets of 25 different pushups. (military, wide, decline etc). Also incorporate some lunges and squats into the workout for lower body conditioning and to increase your heart rate. You can modify your plank as well, doing plan gets ups (hand, hand, elbow elbow repeat) or bring some leg movements into it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:30 AM)
Anyone have tips for preventing arthritic joints from getting worse?

I find that just working out consistently helps; my joints feel worse when I'm not working out. I started P90x and was surprised that it wasn't harder on my joints.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Yoga and aleve?

My wife and I took classes at The Glowing Body here in Knoxville and were pretty happy with a beginner's class (we needed "yoga for dummies").