*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wrapped up the 10th week (of 18 weeks) of my marathon training plan. I'm hoping the eventual turnaround of the weather gives me the push I need to finish the 2nd half of this plan stronger than the first. It's been a tougher go this time around, with so much of it being in the dark and cold.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Just wrapped up the 10th week (of 18 weeks) of my marathon training plan. I'm hoping the eventual turnaround of the weather gives me the push I need to finish the 2nd half of this plan stronger than the first. It's been a tougher go this time around, with so much of it being in the dark and cold.

I feel ya. My training has been off and on. When it's 20s and dark, there is no motivation to be out the door running. 40s and some light is at least manageable.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Could someone point me in the direction of a good beginner workout plan for someone looking to put on weight/muscle? Thanks you.

Would something like p90x be good for this?

The biggest thing for me has simply been getting into the gym or doing some type of lifting in general (whether that is with actual weights or using your body weight). That isn't in the cards for everybody though, and it becomes especially hard when you have to go to the gym by yourself.

From what I have seen of P90X and Insanity, they are very difficult workouts but beginners can handle them. Push yourself but don't push so hard that you hurt yourself.

I have been lifting for a little over 8 weeks now, have been eating a little better, and have two whey protein shakes daily, and I have added a ton of muscle already (my shoulders have gotten really big considering where they were). It's relatively easy to add the muscle, it's harder to keep it because you have to keep working out.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
I've been running a lot more in the last two weeks (I usually just ride my stationary bike) and the progress I've made is crazy. I can run for a much, much longer time at a high speed than I would have thought I'd be able to do at this point.

The human body bounces back quickly. In January I decided I was a fatass at 211.7 lbs, and got to 185 a few weeks ago. I've been sustaining that weight and adding muscle and feel like I'm 21 again.

I'll never ignore my body's health again. Once you start working out, I truly feel it's addicting.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
I was never into running, but you're right that it is kind of addicting. I'm tired as hell when I'm done, but I'm rearing to go again in a few hours (sex joke in there). I don't think I get the same release of endorphins with cycling as I do with running.

My Knees get so damn angry.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
The human body bounces back quickly. In January I decided I was a fatass at 211.7 lbs, and got to 185 a few weeks ago. I've been sustaining that weight and adding muscle and feel like I'm 21 again.

I'll never ignore my body's health again. Once you start working out, I truly feel it's addicting.

What did you to do that? I was at 260 about 15 months ago (I was 230 in college so i've never been small) and managed to get down to about 205. Got lazy and shot back up to 210 and got back on track a month ago and i'm down to 203 but it seems like i've been in the 203-206 range for a few weeks now and my ultimate goal is 185 as well. Kinda feel like i'm plateauing which I'm hoping is not the case.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
What did you to do that? I was at 260 about 15 months ago (I was 230 in college so i've never been small) and managed to get down to about 205. Got lazy and shot back up to 210 and got back on track a month ago and i'm down to 203 but it seems like i've been in the 203-206 range for a few weeks now and my ultimate goal is 185 as well. Kinda feel like i'm plateauing which I'm hoping is not the case.

Mine was really quite simple... I ate right and worked out 6 days a week to get down, now I'm adding muscle.

Limit your calories, boost your metabolism. I do the following daily.

8am - fiber one bar

10:30am - yogurt

12:30pm - sandwich

3pm - orange

then a sensible dinner.

Then 60 minute workout mix of cardio/weights. I love, love, love the automated staircase. It is a calorie-burning beast.

Now, of course, since I lost all the weight I've been eating/drinking whatever I went the last three weeks without gaining weight while adding muscle... got drunk a lot, ate a lot of tasty goodness, doesn't matter. The transformation is complete and the metabolism is a beast.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
I was going to say, usually a plateau is due to diet or you just repeating workouts day in and day out. You need to change it up to force your body to change.

And really, the eating little s*** during the day vs MEALS really just turns your metabolism into a motherf***ing monster.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
And really, the eating little s*** during the day vs MEALS really just turns your metabolism into a motherf***ing monster.

Yup. I also think that a sensible dinner not completely stacked with carbs and starches can go a long way towards losing weight.

So for the next 5 weeks(until May 2nd) I've decided that I'm going to completely give up partying(drinking, going out, drunk meals) and 100 percent focus on my nutrition/exercise program to get me to exactly where I want to be. I'm going to allow myself to eat a slice or two of pizza once a week but besides that, it'll be completely healthy eating.

I've figured I've come this far so I might as well go all out to reach my ultimate goal. And for the people that know me, giving up partying for a week let alone 5 is pretty difficult for me. Going to be real tough but I got everything set up and I'm going to get this done.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
So for the next 5 weeks(until May 2nd) I've decided that I'm going to completely give up partying(drinking, going out, drunk meals) and 100 percent focus on my nutrition/exercise program to get me to exactly where I want to be. I'm going to allow myself to eat a slice or two of pizza once a week but besides that, it'll be completely healthy eating.

I've figured I've come this far so I might as well go all out to reach my ultimate goal. And for the people that know me, giving up partying for a week let alone 5 is pretty difficult for me. Going to be real tough but I got everything set up and I'm going to get this done.

Alright, I guess call me sometime in mid to late May when you can be fun again.

JK, good for you. However no one could have seen this post coming like 2 years ago.

Good for you dude, one cheat day a week isnt going to derail you as long as you dont take down like 2 large pizzas and a bag of doritos.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
Alright, I guess call me sometime in mid to late May when you can be fun again.

JK, good for you. However no one could have seen this post coming like 2 years ago.

Might give me some time to hang out with you old people during the weekends now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)

just wait till that grilled onions smell hits you.....

I'll drink your share :drink

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Alright, I have a question. In the last few months, I have been trying to both lose weight and add on muscle. They've both been going pretty well and I've added a good amount of muscle to my abs and chest. There is still some pesky stomach fat and love handles (which I've had my whole life, no matter how skinny I was lol). Basically I want to start working my arms more. I'm getting some free weights and I already have a routine figured out.

My current routine has me working out over a longer period of time after work in the evening, rather than just a set hour of nothing but lifting. My source of protein has been almost entirely through having chicken for dinner every night. I want to bring protein shakes into the mix.

I've read that casein is probably the way to go, as it stays in your body longer and it would work better with the system I use of stretching the workout over a longer period of time. Is this the one I should go with? And what would be the recommended time to take it and amount to use of it?

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that I'm still doing cardio 6 days a week and attempting to lose the remainder of fat I have.

I recommend Isopure for lean mass based on the low calorie, fat and carb count. Drink it right after your workout. A lot of other proteins have healthy fat and carbs for recovery, but if you want to continue to lose weight with the benefit of protein for muscle building that's what I would do.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
Thank you, Rock. I knew I could count on a quick response. I have one follow-up question, though. Since, as I said, I do my workout in the evening and spread it out over time, should I basically drink the shake right before bed?

You can. I'm sure you dont workout and then jump right into bed, so drink it right after or sip it during your workout. Having some protein before bed isnt really that bad, its the carbs that will sit there all night. If you are doing a circuit workout where you are burning alot of energy in a short period of time sometimes having those recovery carbs is good, since you seem to be just working on strength while losing weight, you should be good.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
And this is the guy you're talking about?

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134405

I actually drink these:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2612796

because they are more like gatorade, but the link you provided will work as well, I used to drink that same tub. They arent the best tasting shakes out there, but if you look at the protein content and the calorie count, its good for a protein supplement without adding alot of extra stuff you need to burn off. Definitely a good option if you are in a leaning out phase.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
I saw that on Facebook and how you mentioned that you've lost too much weight :lolhitting

I bought a belt for my senior formal almost exactly four years ago because I needed a black one. It barely fit (it was the only reversible one I could find) as I could only wear it on the first hole. Currently, I can wear it at the smallest size and I would hardly even consider myself husky at the time of purchase.

After I graduated undergrad I spent 6 months selling vacuum cleaners, which wound up having me eating fast food for lunch/dinner almost every day. That was the last time I had this waist size.