*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
Zach or MaggsMaggs, one of you guys who run marathons, got any tips on a good plan for training? I'm going to be running one in August, so I'd like to get at least some decent training in.

Hal Higdon is who I used for my first, and my 2nd go around was a more personalized plan but still heavily influenced by Higdon.

I know you've been working out and running heavy, but hopefully you got yourself a strong base going. I know it's usually suggested to be capable of running at least 6 miles comfortably, before going into a MTP. Most plans will expect for you to officially have started training a few weeks ago, but I would suggest jumping into one where you're capable and as close to timing it out right with your race to ensure at least one 20 miler and a 2-3 week taper beforehand as well.

Which one are you going to be running?

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 31, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Hal Higdon is who I used for my first, and my 2nd go around was a more personalized plan but still heavily influenced by Higdon.

I know you've been working out and running heavy, but hopefully you got yourself a strong base going. I know it's usually suggested to be capable of running at least 6 miles comfortably, before going into a MTP. Most plans will expect for you to officially have started training a few weeks ago, but I would suggest jumping into one where you're capable and as close to timing it out right with your race to ensure at least one 20 miler and a 2-3 week taper beforehand as well.

Half marathon actually and I run about 5 miles every other day but I've never really tried to push myself much more than that, I think I'm capable of doing a decent amount more if need be. And it's the Rock n Roll half Chicago Marathon on August 14th.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 31, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
Half marathon actually and I run about 5 miles every other day but I've never really tried to push myself much more than that, I think I'm capable of doing a decent amount more if need be. And it's the Rock n Roll half Chicago Marathon on August 14th.

For a half, I would just continue with the mileage you are at, and add one long run every weekend. I would work up to about 14 miles as your longest so you know mentally you can cover the half-marathon distance. Since it's over two months away, and you have a good base as is, you are in a great spot.

If I calculated it right, you have 10 weekends before race weekend, so I would just do something like this:

Week 1 (June 4 weekend): 7 miles

Week 2: 7 miles

W3: 9 miles

W4: 9 miles

W5: 11 miles

W6: 11 miles

W7: 14 miles

W8: 11 miles

W9: 8-10 miles

W10: 8 miles

Race weekend.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 31, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)

Ive trained through Hal Higdon training for two marathons. Just recently completed the inaugural north shore, hi marathon. Higdon highly recommended. Does anyone one use Runkeeper to track their trainings. Awesome gps app for Andriod or Iphone.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 31, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)

Awesome man, you'll have a blast. It was my favorite race I did last year. I'll be running that again this year too with the girl. It'll be her first half as well; she's in week 6 of training right now.

And Higdon is still a great guide for a training plan for the half.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 31, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)

Its crazy to see the following Hal Higdon has. He is from Michigan City, and was their Cross Country coach for a quite a few years. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He is also still a pretty incredible runner. Last I knew he held the world record for something like the 65+ year old steeplechase.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
Plyometrics in the books.

Lord have mercy.

I have a severe case of patellar tendonitis in my left knee and my doc said I have to not workout for at least a week or maybe two. Its literally driving me crazy and today is only day 4.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 31, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
Awesome man, you'll have a blast. It was my favorite race I did last year. I'll be running that again this year too with the girl. It'll be her first half as well; she's in week 6 of training right now.

And Higdon is still a great guide for a training plan for the half.

Awesome, I'll shoot you a text when it gets closer to race time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
I have a severe case of patellar tendonitis in my left knee and my doc said I have to not workout for at least a week or maybe two. Its literally driving me crazy and today is only day 4.

It really takes a toll mentally when you have to take any time off for whatever reason. Just when you can, get right back into it and you'll start to feel much better again.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Awesome, I'll shoot you a text when it gets closer to race time.

It really takes a toll mentally when you have to take any time off for whatever reason. Just when you can, get right back into it and you'll start to feel much better again.

Its awful. I went to my workouts last week and literally couldnt walk afterwards but still kept going back because I need that outlet.

So instead this week to take my mind off I am going to motorcycle school to finally get my M class cert.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
Zach or MaggsMaggs, one of you guys who run marathons, got any tips on a good plan for training? I'm going to be running one in August, so I'd like to get at least some decent training in.

Less drinking, more running.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)

Yeah, I have to either really stick with it or not do it at all...I have hurt my neck/shoulder a few times pushing myself a bit too much, and then I took a break for a few months because I had to spend a lot of time raising my dog. It's a total mindf*** watching your muscles deteoriorate after you busted your ass to get into good shape.

Did shoulders and arms today and it was total humiliation...but I think I'll be back to respectability in a few weeks...

Hope your knee recovers, Rock.

I'n going to start the Spartacus workout soon, really looking forward to it. I've also been wanting to run more lately, but it's just really bad for my knees so I've been trying to get my cardio other ways. Basically a lot of basketball.

Not necessarily workout related, but I recently finally got serious about losing some weight. The MyFitnessPal app for the iPhone is great. I just entered my current weight and my goal weight, and it tells me how many calories a day I should take in. There's a nice database of food and workouts that I can search, and it'll add/subtract the calories. I'm 3 weeks in and have lost 7 pounds. Suprisingly I haven't been too hungry, but I defintely had to change what type of food I eat. And then there's the beer...empty calories. I only drink beer on the weekend, and even then I try to stick to the lighter stuff.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Can you explain what PR stands for? I hate when people use acronyms I don't understand :lolhitting

Public Relationist, most likely to field the answers to his awesome or terrible race time, either way he would be set.

Ugh, having a cyst removed from my right biceps tomorrow. Doc says I should wait 6 weeks before working it out, but f*** that. Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? It's between the muscle and the skin, but he says 6 weeks so it doesn't scar. I can probably get away with like 2 weeks, right?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
Did ab ripper, barely sweat. f*** I hate this s***. 4 more days until I can get back at it.

Back in the saddle yet?

One thing I will say about P90X...the basic structure you build definitely stays in place, even if the bulk does disappear. After taking about 3 months off, I am pretty happy with how things have come back after only 10 days or so back in the saddle here...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
Back in the saddle yet?

One thing I will say about P90X...the basic structure you build definitely stays in place, even if the bulk does disappear. After taking about 3 months off, I am pretty happy with how things have come back after only 10 days or so back in the saddle here...

MRI tomorrow on my knee. Doctor was pretty sure its a torn meniscus.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
MRI tomorrow on my knee. Doctor was pretty sure its a torn meniscus.

Got my MRI done, just have to get the results and then the direction from my surgeon.

Interesting note, a Sox draft pick Kyle McMillen was in there before me getting his shoulder MRI'ed.