*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Is it that bad?

I'm just starting to use some supplements in addition to my workouts. As in, I'm currently drinking my first ever whey protein shake. But since I'm in the Army and I'm going to work out in the morning on weekdays, I was just going to make my shake with the mix and water in my office immediately afterwards. Bad idea?

Milk kills me. Even Soy Milk. Milk and Ice Cream. Cheese, I am fine with.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Milk kills me. Even Soy Milk. Milk and Ice Cream. Cheese, I am fine with.

That sucks, dude, but I was actually asking if whey protein mixed with water was really that gross. Since it's what I plan on doing with workouts and all.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
That sucks, dude, but I was actually asking if whey protein mixed with water was really that gross. Since it's what I plan on doing with workouts and all.

It's not awful, just kind of plain and not very tasty.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Little over a week until the half, how's training going, Justin?

Not gonna lie, the whole marathon thing kind of got pushed back for me. Between just being extremely busy for the first time in my life(I know awful excuse) and breaking my foot, it just wasn't the best time for me. I do plan on doing one hopefully before the end of this year but the one next week isn't happening unfortunately.

The broken foot is valid reasoning enough to let being busy sneak under the rug. Good to hear it's not discouraging you from scratching the effort altogether. If you're still in the burbs, we should meet up sometime soon for some kind of workout or race. It would be times of good.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
The broken foot is valid reasoning enough to let being busy sneak under the rug. Good to hear it's not discouraging you from scratching the effort altogether. If you're still in the burbs, we should meet up sometime soon for some kind of workout or race. It would be times of good.

Ya, definitely. You still in arlington heights?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
About 6 months ago, I developed an intolerance for lactose. Have all this protein mix so tried making a shake with water. Yuck.

Which protein? You could always buy some RTD protein shakes that are lactose free as well.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 06:40 AM)
Yessir.

---

Week 6 of this MTP concludes w/ the half this weekend. I've been kicking ass so far with my training; here's hoping the next 12 weeks are more of the same.

Cool, cool. Ya, I'm much further north now a days but I'm starting to apartment hunt in the city so hopefully I find something relatively soon and we can figure something out.

Anyways, finally got my first big workout in since injuring my god damn foot and it felt great. Got a good run in plus lifted for about an hr. It was freakin hell while I was doing it but I felt like a million bucks once I was done.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 06:50 AM)
I felt like a million bucks once I was done.

That's the best thing about working out. The muscles be poppin' and the legs feel nice and used. I can't believe I used to be overweight and not work out. It's an addiction, now.

• 1 month later...

Time for this to get bumped.

So I'm doing a spring break trip this year and I'm trying to get myself to exactly where I want to be before that. As I've said in this thread, I've lost a ton of weight with in the last year and a half but despite everything I still got a little too much fat in the belly area that's covering up the abs. I obviously have a good amount of time to fix this problem but figured I'd see if any of you guys have a good work out plan to get rid of the last bit of body fat. Diet wont be a problem.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)

So I'm doing a spring break trip this year and I'm trying to get myself to exactly where I want to be before that. As I've said in this thread, I've lost a ton of weight with in the last year and a half but despite everything I still got a little too much fat in the belly area that's covering up the abs. I obviously have a good amount of time to fix this problem but figured I'd see if any of you guys have a good work out plan to get rid of the last bit of body fat. Diet wont be a problem.

I know a gym you can work out at. Cheap-o

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)

No booze.

Run.

Ab Ripper X.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
I know a gym you can work out at. Cheap-o

Haha, I'm still planning on signing up there, I swear, just haven't yet ha.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
No booze.

Run.

Ab Ripper X.

Ya I'm about to stop boozing for a while(ugh)

I do every day

And I've mastered that b****.

If you really wanna take your fitness seriously, go to bodybuilding.com's forums. There's a bit of BS to wade through with uninformed posters, but as long as you read the stickies and use the search function before posting a redundant topic it's a great resource.

If talking about another website is against the rules here, I'm sorry and I'm ready for my stoning.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Stop drinking, stop drinking stop drinking. Thats about it. Keep the cardio and core work up and stop drinking and eating like s***.

Its f***ing hard.

Moderation my friend...all things in moderation.

They used to read this over the PA system in my high school every morning.

Best piece of advice I've ever gotten.

• 1 month later...

Ran a marathon much closer to my capabilities this weekend and improved my PR by a little better than 22 minutes.

Saturday I ran the Monumental Marathon in Indy with a 3:48:07. My previous best was a 4:10:23 I ran earlier this year in Kenosha's Wisconsin Marathon.

It's been a successful running year, as I've eclipsed 20 minutes twice in the 5K this year and the nice improvement on the marathon between my 2nd and 3rd attempts.

Want to get some weights for home. Not to sound anti social, but everytime I walk around lifting at the gym, people have to try and stop me to talk. Even with headphones and a hat on. I could not be more obvious in wanting to be left alone.

Thought about Bowflex but that thing is way more expensive than I thought. Even their dumbells are too much for me right now. Figure I will just start using the gym for cardio or basketball.

Edited by Brian

You guys talking about no booze are flat out wrong. Booze doesn't matter. It the kind of booze that matters. And for that matter, this goes for everything from food to booze. It's carbs and fat content that matter most for "getting ripped". Calories in and of themselves aren't super important, since you'll burn those doing cardio anyway. You want to avoid an overload of carbs and fat calories. Saturated fat is the main source of fat calories so avoid it, IE, eat lean meats, etc. Also, protein shakes are mostly unnecessary unless you want a pro "body builders" physique (IE 300lbs of muscle) or are a vegetarian. If you eat meat everyday, you're already getting more than enough protein without having to subsidize it with shakes. Most people who work out intake WAY too many grams of protein per day and it does nothing helpful (it's probably harmful to your kidneys as a matter of fact). Anything more than 1 gram of protein per body pound is too much, and 1 gram is already somewhat excessive.

If you want ripped abs, you need to run -- run -- and run some more (as in jog). Your abs already exist, they're just covered by the layer of fat over them which is a leftover genetic trait you can thank your ancestors for. You can do situps or ab-ripper X until the sun burns out -- if you don't jog/do sustained fat burn cardio, it won't matter.

Start the day with high carb/mid-to-low protein intake, and swap them throughout the day...toward the evening your carb intake needs to be much lower, protein higher. The problem here is I'd need much more information in order to tell you how much/how little, etc. And you want to do a FAT BURN cardio exercise...nothing that raises your heart rate above 145, and sustain it for a period of time like 30-45 minutes at, probably 5 days a week. Again, this is give or take depending on your attributes. I could get away with doing it 2 times a week, for example, but that doesn't mean other people can.

You should only have to do situps or whatever mid section exercise a few times a week for a maximum of 20 minutes per session. And NEVER -- EVER -- use weight machines to do stomach exercises. You want to DEFINE your stomach muscles, *not* make them bigger.

The HARDEST part about giving people work out advice (especially on the Internets) is what works for one will most likely not work for another. I try to keep my advice on the generic side (as it is above) if I don't know a persons attributes, body type, etc. Genetics plays an amazing key role in how much effort a person has to put fourth in order to get their desired results. A designed workout/diet (including protein/carb intake) has to be tailored to your specific genetics in order to help you overcome these inherited deficiencies.

When talking about working out with people, they will usually tell you what works for them, and expect that because it worked for them, it should work for everyone. Problem is, that's the opposite of truth. While it may take Rock 20 minutes of cardio per week to maintain his desired bodyfat percentage, it might take someone else on this board 50 minutes.

After working out for two decades, I recently (last year) had to quit due to some internal medical issues, which I've nearly overcome. Hopefully I'll be able to lift again soon. Until then, enjoy your workouts everyone...and keep in mind, what works for you won't work for anyone else. Get to know your body, and experiment, experiment, experiment! By that I mean with different foods, etc...your body will react differently. For all you know, drinking beer everyday is the key to your success -- and because everyone on here is telling you booze is bad despite knowing nothing about your genetic makeup, you'd never find out. ;)

Edited by Y2HH