*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 02:21 AM)
There is a fitness program banner that keeps popping on Soxtalk, called Athlean or something close to that. Has anyone ever tried that out, what did they think about it and better or worse than p90x?

i gotta say, regardless of whether it's a good program, calling it Athlean-X and constantly comparing yourself to P90X makes you seem like a ripoff that's screaming "no I'M better I swear!" like a 5 year old.

I mean, If you go to the Athlean-Xtreme page, it's literally identical to the Insanity: The Asylum color scheme and layout.

That said, it's entirely possible it's a decent program... but then stand on your own merits and tout what's unique about you.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
i gotta say, regardless of whether it's a good program, calling it Athlean-X and constantly comparing yourself to P90X makes you seem like a ripoff that's screaming "no I'M better I swear!" like a 5 year old.

I mean, If you go to the Athlean-Xtreme page, it's literally identical to the Insanity: The Asylum color scheme and layout.

That said, it's entirely possible it's a decent program... but then stand on your own merits and tout what's unique about you.

I kinda have to agree with this.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Trading my xbox for a a real nice treadmill, and buying 120 pounds of weights for 20 bucks! (In a hawk voice) I loveee Craigslist!

That never happened...until now, finally made a barter deal for a treadmill.....What should be a good goal for me, miles or calorie wise on the treadmill. I'm up to 295 again (260 a few months ago). Everyday thing? I plan to restart p90x too.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
That never happened...until now, finally made a barter deal for a treadmill.....What should be a good goal for me, miles or calorie wise on the treadmill. I'm up to 295 again (260 a few months ago). Everyday thing? I plan to restart p90x too.

i know we've had our differences, but my clients are losing 30, 40, 50 pounds and sticking with it. i have a bunch who are half-way through their second rounds, eating healthier and loving their new selves. I know you're a coach, so i wouldn't make any money off you, but if you wanna join one of my challenge groups to keep yourself motivated, I'd be more than happy to have you.

Scott's lost over 40 pounds

558368_411328382261625_2035110707_n.jpg

Josh's lost about the same

quixote90side.jpg

Get on board man!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
i know we've had our differences, but my clients are losing 30, 40, 50 pounds and sticking with it. i have a bunch who are half-way through their second rounds, eating healthier and loving their new selves. I know you're a coach, so i wouldn't make any money off you, but if you wanna join one of my challenge groups to keep yourself motivated, I'd be more than happy to have you.

Scott's lost over 40 pounds

558368_411328382261625_2035110707_n.jpg

Josh's lost about the same

quixote90side.jpg

Get on board man!

You were partially right in our differences, I was wrong in thinking people would wanna buy fitness stuff from a fatty....If I made the money to stick with it maybe things would be different now. But you were right so its all good man.

I'm not a coach anymore but if its free of charge to me I'd love to join a challenge group to stay committed..

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
You were partially right in our differences, I was wrong in thinking people would wanna buy fitness stuff from a fatty....If I made the money to stick with it maybe things would be different now. But you were right so its all good man.

I'm not a coach anymore but if its free of charge to me I'd love to join a challenge group to stay committed..

yeah man, coaching's free, group is free. we're gonna be starting on the 10th, that'll give you some time to really get committed this time. I'm not gonna let you slack! This thing is the workouts AND nutrition. So I'll work with you to get that right.

like my team fan page on facebook, then I'll friend you and we can start chatting about specifics and I'll add you to the group. Sound good? www.facebook.com/TeamReddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
yeah man, coaching's free, group is free. we're gonna be starting on the 10th, that'll give you some time to really get committed this time. I'm not gonna let you slack! This thing is the workouts AND nutrition. So I'll work with you to get that right.

like my team fan page on facebook, then I'll friend you and we can start chatting about specifics and I'll add you to the group. Sound good? www.facebook.com/TeamReddy

Perfect that'll give me some time to quit smoking (if things go as planned that will be after this pack)...And hopefully I start work by then so I can get my diet and nutrients right.

So, I'm building muscle and losing a small bit of weight at a pretty good rate due to quidditch practice starting back up, eating healthier, and working out a bit. But f*** me I'm still barely losing weight.

Part of the problem is I can't go on long runs as they're high impact on my knees. Anyone know if swimming is a good cardio workout?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
So, I'm building muscle and losing a small bit of weight at a pretty good rate due to quidditch practice starting back up, eating healthier, and working out a bit. But f*** me I'm still barely losing weight.

Part of the problem is I can't go on long runs as they're high impact on my knees. Anyone know if swimming is a good cardio workout?

Swimming is one of the best workouts you can do of any kind.

My wife and I decided last week that we would make the financial investment in me joining a gym and dieting appropriately.

Having not worked out for a while, I was a little surprised by how weak I had gotten, but my body is the type that cannot gain nor maintain muscle at all without protein coming in. In 2008 I bulked from 160 to 200 LBS in about three and a half months (yes there was probably about 10 pounds of fat gain in there), but could not financially afford to keep up with it.

Before starting last week I was...

6'1

179.8 lbs

15.8% body fat (28.4 lbs BF)

Benching 135x7

Squatting 135x8

Have not gotten in Dead Lift yet

By Jan 1 I expect to be....

190 lbs

8% body fat

Benching 250x4

Squatting....I don't know. Heavy squats kill my knees so I may look for some alternatives here.

Not sure how long "muscle memory" lasts, but I'm thinking it should be a positive factor here. I'll post back to update you on how awesome I'm doing, because I will be doing awesome.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
My wife and I decided last week that we would make the financial investment in me joining a gym and dieting appropriately.

Having not worked out for a while, I was a little surprised by how weak I had gotten, but my body is the type that cannot gain nor maintain muscle at all without protein coming in. In 2008 I bulked from 160 to 200 LBS in about three and a half months (yes there was probably about 10 pounds of fat gain in there), but could not financially afford to keep up with it.

Before starting last week I was...

6'1

179.8 lbs

15.8% body fat (28.4 lbs BF)

Benching 135x7

Squatting 135x8

Have not gotten in Dead Lift yet

By Jan 1 I expect to be....

190 lbs

8% body fat

Benching 250x4

Squatting....I don't know. Heavy squats kill my knees so I may look for some alternatives here.

Not sure how long "muscle memory" lasts, but I'm thinking it should be a positive factor here. I'll post back to update you on how awesome I'm doing, because I will be doing awesome.

That's super ambitious, I'll be really impressed if you can do it that quickly.

I'm looking for some advice here.

I have some friends interested in doing the Miami Marathon, or at least the 1/2. Being in Chicago, this would make training difficult, as the marathon is in January I believe.

Has anyone trained for a marathon in the winter? If so, how have you done it? Indoors? Bundled up outside?

And if you have done it, what was your experience like?

I can't see running the distances it would take to train on a treadmill.

Edited by SexiAlexei

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
That's super ambitious, I'll be really impressed if you can do it that quickly.

beyond ambitious. cutting your body fat in HALF in 4 months is damn near impossible.

what's your plan though Mark? I'm curious what your diet will be like.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 07:36 PM)

I have some friends interested in doing the Miami Marathon, or at least the 1/2. Being in Chicago, this would make training difficult, as the marathon is in January I believe.

Has anyone trained for a marathon in the winter? If so, how have you done it? Indoors? Bundled up outside?

indoor tracks can be good. some people just bundle up. or a mix of all three to keep yourself entertained. have you ever run a marathon, or any sort of long distance before?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)

i'm ignorant here... but what exactly is involved in quidditch? besides flying on brooms.

but you say you're doing practice and working out "a bit"... you're probably just not doing enough. you have to be operating under a calorie deficit in order to drop weight. do you know your calorie intake vs calories burned? that's an easy way to figure out the problem. but there's another way to help lose weight:

your diet. what does "eating healthier" mean? what's a typical days worth of meals?

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)

Personally, my least favorite marathon training period was when I trained for a May marathon in Wisconsin. I had to do my training from January through April.

I do the majority of my workouts before work, and it was tough/depressing to have to do just about every single workout/run in the dark. I ran outside as much as I could (absolutely all the long runs), but I did more treadmill runs than I did for any other race I've trained for.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
beyond ambitious. cutting your body fat in HALF in 4 months is damn near impossible.

what's your plan though Mark? I'm curious what your diet will be like.

Definitely ambitious. But I am honestly more concerned about being able to build the muscle than lose the fat. 4 years ago I was really shocked by how my body would respond to a protein increase, so I'm banking I can do it again and lose fat by staying low calorie.

Every day I have been eating 6 meals a day. Pretty typical of what you'd find on a fitness website. Something along these lines...

Meal 1

Some form off eggs (omelet, scrambled,etc) with egg whites - Roughly 25g protein, 200-400 calories, depending on what I eat it with.

or

Oatmeal with a scoop of strawberry protein powder - Roughly 26g protein, 280 calories

Meal 2

Myoplex Original RTD - 42g protein, 300 calories

Meal 3

~7oz of healthily cooked chicken, some green veggie, and brown rice/sweet potato. 40-50g of protein, 350-500 calories, depending on how much I'm eating.

Meal 4

Myoplex ORiginal RTD - 42g protein, 300 calories

Meal 5

~7oz of healthily cooked chicken, some green veggie, and brown rice/sweet potato. 40-50g of protein, 350-500 calories, depending on how much I'm eating.

Meal 6

Protein smoothie (I mix strawberry protein powder, frozen fruit, skim milk, and yogurt) - 45g protein, 350 calories

or

Chicken tacos with corn tortillas w/either no cheese or low fat cheese and only a little.

Throughout the day I am drowning myself with water. Probably have to piss like four times while I'm at work. Hope that doesn't wind up getting me in trouble.

So in a day I'm gearing to get in around 200-250g protein and 1800-2200 calories. Probably one cheat meal in a week when I can eat whatever my heart desires.

Just had my weigh-in after week 1. Was a little surprised by the results, hoping my scale is accurate on BF%.

[After having starting stats of 179.8lbs and 15.8% body fat before diet and exercise started]

Weighed in at 181.2 with 13.7% body fat. In other words I lost 3.5 pounds of fat (if my scale really is accurate for BF%) and gained almost 5 pounds of lean body weight (probably mostly water, but I'm hoping a pound or two is muscle gain) in one week.

Prior to this my diet was all over the place, but mostly just lunch and dinner and was eating about 1700 calories a day. So I plan on eating more calories every day and still losing weight.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 4, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
i'm ignorant here... but what exactly is involved in quidditch? besides flying on brooms.

but you say you're doing practice and working out "a bit"... you're probably just not doing enough. you have to be operating under a calorie deficit in order to drop weight. do you know your calorie intake vs calories burned? that's an easy way to figure out the problem. but there's another way to help lose weight:

your diet. what does "eating healthier" mean? what's a typical days worth of meals?

Basically take basketball, rugby, and dodgeball. Now throw in the brooms.

But the main thing is, there are no timeouts (hockey style subs) and I'm one of only two keepers (goalies) on my team, so we're both in the game 95% of the time for 35 minutes of running, tackling, etc.

But my diet also got changed to lots of more fish and chicken instead of beef stuff, basically removed pop and switched in water.

But yeah, a typical day of food would be: Apple & water (breakfast), roast turkey sandwich + mashed potatoes & water, then something like tilapia, roasted potatoes, and broccoli for dinner.

I mean, people are saying I look slimmer, so I could just be building muscle at a similar rate, because various leg injuries (knee, cleat to shin, and cut on foot) have kept me from running as much. Hence the swimming (which kicked my ass).

• 2 weeks later...

running my first live Fit Club on friday in midtown manhattan. exciting stuff. :)

also going to break the $1,000 mark this month as a coach. Only took me 4+ months to get there. tellin' you guys - if y'all dig P90X and have ever recommended it to your friends, and need to supplement your income, shoot me a PM. this thing can change your life.

Real question though. looking for a new cross-trainer that offers good lateral support. Any opinions?

I'm attempting to bump my caloric intake up to 4,000 calories a day of healthy food.

I'm at 3,200 already... one more meal to go in two hours... dunno if i'll get 800 calories in there... but s*** it's tough to eat this much.

My definition and muscularity has improved dramatically in the last 6 months, but i still want more actual meat on my bones.

And I ended up grabbing Asics Gel-Cirrus33 running shoes. They're not cross trainers, but they're usually $150 and I got them from a place going out of business for $75. Couldn't turn that down. So may still grab something for lifting/casual use and save these guys for actual running.