*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
Steve wisely pointed out bodybuilding.com. Just ignore their supplement advice, they're trying to profit off of you. They think every weight program requires a good 100 bucks of products to make it work, but dont waste your money.

Is there some basic level of "drink this protein shake!" that actually is helpful/required?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)
Is there some basic level of "drink this protein shake!" that actually is helpful/required?

you should drink a protein shake every day, and some sort of post workout drink that's about 2-4:1 simple carbs:protein. chocolate milk sorta works, but isn't ideal - there are a lot of recovery drinks on the market. Endurox is pretty solid.

the protein shake can literally just be protein powder, fruit, milk/water/etc, blend, done.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
you should drink a protein shake every day, and some sort of post workout drink that's about 2-4:1 simple carbs:protein. chocolate milk sorta works, but isn't ideal - there are a lot of recovery drinks on the market. Endurox is pretty solid.

the protein shake can literally just be protein powder, fruit, milk/water/etc, blend, done.

If you need it. I pack on muscle without needing protein drinks, so for me they aren't necessary. I.E., drink protein supplements IF you need to supplement your protein intake. Not everybody does.

They are, however, a good way to get protein without fat or carbs, depending on what you drink. But there is no one size fits all diet, including protein intakes.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
If you need it. I pack on muscle without needing protein drinks, so for me they aren't necessary. I.E., drink protein supplements IF you need to supplement your protein intake. Not everybody does.

not everyone, but generally speaking if you're looking to lean out, drop fat, build muscle, you need to go a bit lower (not low carb, but lower) on the carbs and higher on the protein INITIALLY, and that's hard to do without supplementation.

obviously everyone is different though.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)

Yeah, but the timing for a non-endurance athlete is far from essential. If I were you, I'd track my diet for a while and see how much protein I'm getting. If it's low, you can add various amounts via protein supplementation. Likewise, you can just add more chicken breast or whatever your preferred meat is. When you're trying to gain weight, I think a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is not a bad measure to go by -- but it's probably a little high. Some say you eat, in grams, the poundage that you desire to be. So if you want to weigh 170, you eat 170 grams of protein a day. For a lot of folks, that requires a fairly hefty dietary adjustment.

In the ends, calories in vs calories out will be the greatest factor in your bodyweight. Protein consumption will in large part define the composition of that weight -- more protein consumed over time will generally lead to a leaner physique, even if your end weight is the same. This is obviously a slow process, so don't obsess over it.

In short, if you don't eat 100 grams of protein a day, definitely look into supplementing protein. If you are up over 200 grams (I highly doubt anyone does this without trying to do it), you are at and probably well beyond the point of maximum benefit.

I work in the dietary supplement industry (specifically, a company that targets weight lifters) so let me know if you want any help/don't want to get BS'd into buying a bunch of crap from the guy at GNC. There is a big part of the industry that shorts the stated amount in protein products, so I can at least point you in the direction of reputable companies and retailers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 07:39 PM)
I work in the dietary supplement industry (specifically, a company that targets weight lifters) so let me know if you want any help/don't want to get BS'd into buying a bunch of crap from the guy at GNC. There is a big part of the industry that shorts the stated amount in protein products, so I can at least point you in the direction of reputable companies and retailers.

What would you recommend, then? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer that.

Alright so as you know I'm not the most advanced guy in the workout department (despite working for beachbody lol) but I think I've whipped together a pretty good routine.

I do 8 movements 4 pulling and 4 pushing, split into pairs of 2 that I do as a "circuit". 4 sets 10 each(except the bench).

Bench with descending reps- 8/7/6/5... Not quite at 4 sets of 8 yet, I struggle with the last rep on each set.

Straight arm lat pulldown - I have a resistance band that I have hanging from the ceiling that I do for the rest.

Chest fly

Standing Row

Curl- making sure to emphasize turning my hand and squeezing at the top.

standing skull crushers- making sure I go back all the way.

Pushups

the reverse grip p90x resistance band pullup replacement... basically a kneeling reverse grip row.

I've done this twice this week (today and monday) and plan on going at it again friday...And tuesday/thursday/saturday I'll be doing 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

I slowly wanna work in the cardio everyday and add in a core swiss ball exercise as well. Should I do those on weight days or before/after cardio days.

How's that all sound?

Also the diet...not that great but as good as it'll get at this point...Wake up around 10...Breakfast has been a 2 scrambled egg sandwich on whole grain toast smothered in hot sauce and a cup of coffee with less sugar than usual, some cinnamon, and a splash of 1% milk.

I'll workout 2 hours later and have another 2 scrambled eggs, a scoop of peanut butter, and half a cup of dry cinnamon toast crunch(love it, its whole grain, it has cinnamon which i hear is good for you metabolism, and I also hear a little sugar post workout ain't bad)

If i get hungry before dinner at 4 I'll have air popped popcorn, with a little ranch seasoning and doused in hot sauce.

Dinner is as good as it will get right now with me not working.me mum insists on "celebrating prince spaghetti day" which is apparently every wednesday, taco tuesdays (I've convinced her to make chicken tacos) and every friday we have some kind of pasta with tuna(convinced her to throw in some brocolli). Mondays and thursdays are usually something cheap like soup, frozen pizzas, chicken kievs and canned veggies or something like that. Saturdays is always some kind of chicken, used to be fried chicken and mashed potatoes but I've been baking mine, having very little mashed potatoes and gravy(I can't resist my moms homemade gravy), and I convinced her to make some steamed veggies. Sundays are usually some slow cooked meat with potato and carrots.

If i get hungry between 4-8 I will once again have popcorn...luckily my brother works at Orville Redenbacker and hooks it up with 8 pound jugs of kernels.

My mom loves desserts, we'll have them a few times a week. I've convinced her to start getting angel food cake and fruits which I'll have unsweetened.

And despite not going to bed until 2 I won't eat passed 8...if I do it'll be a handful of cinnamon toast crunch.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:36 PM)
You need to hit your legs, man.

And at some point you're going to have to clean up your diet too. For now since you can't buy your own food, just make sure you're having smaller portions.

and not dousing everything in sauce. but yes. this. ^

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 09:46 PM)
and not dousing everything in sauce. but yes. this. ^

What's wrong with hot sauce? I thought hot foods kicked up your metabolism, or is that a myth?

My legs sure do burn after getting off the treadmill so I've kinda shied away from leg work...But what else other than squats can I do with what I have for legs...and when should I do them?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
What's wrong with hot sauce? I thought hot foods kicked up your metabolism, or is that a myth?

My legs sure do burn after getting off the treadmill so I've kinda shied away from leg work...But what else other than squats can I do with what I have for legs...and when should I do them?

Do you have access to a gym or you just working out at home?

But don't shy away from your legs, you'll be amazed at how much quicker you'll drop lbs by working your legs.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:35 AM)
Do you have access to a gym or you just working out at home?

But don't shy away from your legs, you'll be amazed at how much quicker you'll drop lbs by working your legs.

I'm surprised the whole board doesn't know me as a bum by now...naw I'm jobless working out at home, I've got a bar, resistance bands, and a swiss balls....all I can think of with that is a plethora of squats.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)

the sodium content is crazy high even if the calories are low. and ranch is... well... ranch. :P

but dude, i'm happy you're deciding to take this seriously. combined with the success you've had quitting smoking, you're getting a killer start on overhauling your health. good stuff

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 11:57 PM)
I'm surprised the whole board doesn't know me as a bum by now...naw I'm jobless working out at home, I've got a bar, resistance bands, and a swiss balls....all I can think of with that is a plethora of squats.

you've got body weight baby! do some internet research on workouts you can do with just body weight.

also, check this out: Starting Strength program by Mark Rippetoe - all about barbell work.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 01:13 AM)
the sodium content is crazy high even if the calories are low. and ranch is... well... ranch. :P

but dude, i'm happy you're deciding to take this seriously. combined with the success you've had quitting smoking, you're getting a killer start on overhauling your health. good stuff

Not sure if I clarified but it's ranch popcorn seasoning, which may be in the same boat with the hot sauce as far as sodium goes. I've never really looked at sodium, but then again that should be apparent lol...But ya thanks man, I've made it a point to make age 25 the year. I spent many a years wasting away, not caring what I ate, and smoking a half a pack a day now it's time to turn the page.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 01:16 AM)
you've got body weight baby! do some internet research on workouts you can do with just body weight.

also, check this out: Starting Strength program by Mark Rippetoe - all about barbell work.

Will do boss.

Speaking of hot sauce, a guy I know is making a fat-burning hot sauce. Has a couple fat burning ingredients, most notably raspberry ketones and capsaicin (which is normally too spicy to put in any other sort of supplement). Decent chance it doesn't help you burn any appreciable amount of fat, but it is still aptly named "Thermogenesauce"

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/thermog...ce-5-fl-oz.html

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
Need some good recommendations for leg strengthening exercises. I've got limited weights/equipment.

Get your hands on a copy of the P90X Plyo routine...it's all you need. And it doesn't require any weights or equipment...it's the best leg workout I've ever done.

Lunges brah. Hold weights in your hand if you can/want, but either way its both functionally awesome and great for mass building as well. You can go for distance, do it in place, step up onto a platform or step, forwards, back, side ways, etc.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Lunges brah. Hold weights in your hand if you can/want, but either way its both functionally awesome and great for mass building as well. You can go for distance, do it in place, step up onto a platform or step, forwards, back, side ways, etc.

God I hate lunges, but they are so money.