*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
I like yoga and do some moves prior to our pickup football game every week...it's when they start doing that s*** where you stand on your head and stuff that I get a bit weirded-out.

Aint no better core work on earth! :)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
Dude, you eat vegan a few days out of the week. Stop being such a p**** and eat your meat and potatoes!

I only do that for breakfast/lunch.

Also...I DONT BROADCAST THAT. Than you for ousting me. :) But seriously, nobody I grew up with knows about that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
My bad. I thought you mentioned your typical weekly diet in one of the threads recently. :P

I may have...I don't mind you refined minds knowing my secrets. ;) For all you actually know, I'm not only doing Yoga every day, but I'm an instructor.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
p*ssy

Hey Reddy...do you play any pickup games or anything? Doing all this hard work you do is a lot more fun when you can kick the s*** out of all the lazy guys...

Today was a prime example...played pickup touch football today...we were kicking their ass so bad at one point they actually called a false start on us after we scored one of our touchdowns...:) There is something about when the guy you are guarding calls a p**** PI penalty on you and then you tell him that he will not catch another ball against you...and not only doing that over the course of the next two hours, but then picking off half the balls actually thrown to him.

This is why I do P90X...because you get to shut the mouths of all the s***talkers every week.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Decided I'd share Y2HH's workout today (yes, I referred to myself in the third person), which was performed a little while ago.

This was today's Chest (major target) and Ab (minor target) workout.

I swap from barbell to dumbbells to machines week to week, this was a more dumbbell centric workout, as you'll be able to tell. In every set, I use smooth slow control both on the positive and negative and the final rep is concentrated on the negative over about 5 seconds (about twice as slow as normal).

Warmup:

Bench Press Machine (uses pullys/cables): 50lbs @12 reps

Push Ups: 12 reps

Workout:

Incline dumbbell bench press:

50 lb db's @ 10 reps

55 lb db's @ 8 reps

60 lb db's @ 6 reps

Dumbbell bench press:

70 lb db's @ max reps (9 completed)

75 lb db's @ max reps (5 completed)

Fly machine (uses pullys/cables):

10 reps @ 12

8 reps @ 14

I wish I could tell you what the 12 or 14 represented...I can't, but it's not super light, nor is it super heavy.

Incline dumbbell fly:

30 lb db's @ 10 reps

35 lb db's @ 8 reps

Ab crunch machine (no weight added):

Set 1 @ 40 reps

Set 2 @ 30 reps

Set 3 @ 20 reps

Set 4 @ 10 reps

Finish:

Hammer Strength iso-lateral bench press:

2 45lb plates on each side to failure (4 completed)

-----

There you have it...Friday's Chest and somehwhat Ab routine.

did a modified (bowflex) version of this this morning, good workout.

Mind sharing some of your other routines? I know I've done one other of yours in the past, and my biggest hurdle is coming up with a routine that I can stick to.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 08:10 AM)
did a modified (bowflex) version of this this morning, good workout.

Mind sharing some of your other routines? I know I've done one other of yours in the past, and my biggest hurdle is coming up with a routine that I can stick to.

I can share all of them. Keep in mind my primary focus with these workouts is weight training, with time constraints in mind so the workouts (usually) won't take more than 30 minutes, which is one of the reasons why I target a single body part per day. Though I do this for more than just time reasons, logically, the body has a finite amount of resources at it's disposal daily, and doing more than a single body part per day decreases your recovery efficiency, as the resources it has will get spread thinner the more you do, which impedes fast/full recovery. So, with that in mind, I'm looking for maximum time and resource efficiency. I find that for me, personally, targeting one major per day produces maximum results.

I've probably explained why I do my workouts in this order before, but I will again just in case...

Shoulders

Arms

Legs

Back

Chest

That split gives every major/minor group a full 48 hours to recover before they'r reused, IMO, this increases recovery efficiency while maximizing available power for that workout. People tend to mix/match body-parts because they find it convenient, but I find it inefficient. For example, doing Biceps and Back on the same day will impede your ability to maximize either body part. Every back exercise you perform (major target) requires the use of your biceps (minor assist), therefore, if you've blown up your biceps, any/all further exercises you perform on your back will be compromised, and visa versa. The same goes for chest and triceps/anterior delt (front shoulder).

Yesterday was my back routine.

Warmup:

Lat Pulldowns: 50lbs @12 reps

Row Machine: 50lbs @12 reps

Workout:

Try to focus on your back when doing this, and pull from your elbows, not your hands to prevent over-assisting with your biceps, keep in mind our focus here is our back. I know the pull from your elbows, not hands doesn't seem to make sense, just try to concentrate on that when performing these exercises.

Wide arm pullups:

Bodyweight/no assist @ 10 reps

Bodyweight/no assist @ 8 reps

Bodyweight/no assist @ 6 reps

That's these: wide-grip-pull-up.jpg

If you can't do all of these in a row, break it up into smaller sets...so like 5, and then 5 more is fine...just make sure you end doing a total of 24 (or more, up to 30, which would be 3 sets of 10).

Row Machine (uses pullys/cables):

90 lbs @ 10 reps

100 lbs @ 8 reps

110 lbs @ 6 reps

That's this: Row-Machine_1.jpg

On this, slow controlled motion is our goal...don't worry about throwing around a ton of weight, it's not as important as really feeling it in your upper back throughout the motion.

Lat Pulldown Machine (uses pullys/cables):

130 lbs @ 10 reps

140 lbs @ 8 reps

150 lbs @ 6 reps

That's this: lat-pulldown.jpg

Lower Back Extensions:

10 reps

8 reps

6 reps

That's these: [product-371]roman_chair_phyp200x.jpg

Bent over dumbbell row:

55 lb db to fail (completed 10)

65 lb db to fail (completed 8)

That's these: one%20arm%20db%20row.jpg

Finish (if you feel that you have anything left, if not, skip this):

Hammer Strength iso-lateral row:

1 45lb plate and 1 25 lb plate on each side to failure (5 completed)

That's this: CS-HSPL_ILROW-hero.png

That should be enough to really nail every area of your back, of course, more or less weight can be used depending on where you are in terms of strength/bodyweight. A bigger person may need to use a lot more weight than I do when performing some of these movements, etc.

Edited by Y2HH

Today was my shoulder routine.

Warmup:

Hammer Strength iso lateral shoulder press:

25 lb's each side @12 reps

Workout:

Focus on your shoulders when performing these exercises, keep it slow, even and under control at all times. Remember to accentuate the negative on the final rep of every set (which means come down extra slow on that rep). Shoulders are my favorite workout, so this one may go past 30 minutes. ;)

Hammer Strength iso lateral shoulder press:

1x45lb on each side @ 10 reps

1x45lb & 1x25lb on each side @ 8 reps

1x45lb & 1x35lb on each side @ 6 reps

That's this: CS-HSPL_ILSP-hero.png

Dumbbell upright row**:

35lb db's @ 10 reps

40lb db's @ 8 reps

45lb db's @ 6 reps

That's this: dumbell_upright_rows%20copybig.jpg

** Only do these if you have NO shoulder problems. This is a dangerous movement, and can lead to injury, especially if you have pre-existing issues. I do, however, think it's one of the very best trap exercises there is. That said, even I'm considering dropping this from my routine.

Arnold presses:

45lbs to failure (completed 8 reps)

That's this: shoulders-arnold-press2.jpg

I will sometimes do 3 sets of these to failure instead of moving onto the next exercise, OR one set and move on to the next exercise like I did today.

Machine iso lateral shoulder press:

10 reps at 12 setting, one arm at a time, accentuating the negative on every rep (20 in total)

8 reps at 14 setting, one arm at a time, accentuating the negative on every rep (10 in total)

This is similar to the hammer strength machine above, but it uses cables, instead. These are performed one arm at a time, concentrating on the negative (resistance) portion. Again, these new machines don't list weight, but some arbitrary numbers...I'd say it's about 35lb to 45lbs on each side depending on the setting.

Dumbbell lateral raises:

15lb db @ 10 reps (performed one side at a time)

15lb db's @ 8 reps (performed both sides at the same time)

When I perform these, I try to focus on keeping my pinky finger higher than other fingers on my hand, as we are trying to target the lateral (middle) delt.

That's these: lateral_raises.jpg

Bent over dumbbell lateral raises (targets the posterior delt):

15lb db's @ 10 reps

15lb db's @ 8 reps

That's this: Seated-Bent-Over-Dumbbell-Lateral-Raise1

Gauntlet Dumbbell Shrugs:

55lbs @10 reps

60lbs @10 reps

That's this: Shrugs.jpg

What these are, are normal dumbbell shrugs where on every rep count, you'll hold it at the top of the lift for that many seconds. So, for example, 1, back down, 2 (hold it for 2 seconds at the top), back down, 3 (hold it for 3 seconds at the top), etc...all the way up to 10 seconds at the top. Keep in mind when doing these, don't be that guy in the gym that does shrugs wrong...do NOT roll your shoulders, this is a straight up/down movement, all rolling your shoulders does is mess up your rotator cuff.

Finish (if you feel that you have anything left, if not, skip this):

Machine iso lateral shoulder press**:

10 reps at 16 setting (~50 lbs on each side, this exercise was already performed above, but one hand at a time)

Rotator cuff exercises:

5lb db @ 10 reps

That's these: rotatorexercise2.jpg

45lbs for the Arnold press is tough, your front delts must be really well developed. I had to eliminate any kind of compound shoulder presses from my routine because it was causing me a lot of shoulder pain for some reason. Luckily the barbell upright row gives me a good burn in my side delts, but no pain. For another rear delt option, I recommend sitting on the pec fly cable machine backwards and moving your arms from your front to sides.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 07:04 PM)
45lbs for the Arnold press is tough, your front delts must be really well developed. I had to eliminate any kind of compound shoulder presses from my routine because it was causing me a lot of shoulder pain for some reason. Luckily the barbell upright row gives me a good burn in my side delts, but no pain. For another rear delt option, I recommend sitting on the pec fly cable machine backwards and moving your arms from your front to sides.

The gym I go too doesn't have a pec fly machine that can be turned like that, so I have to do the dumbbell bent over variety.

I'm surprised compound movements are hurting you but the upright row isn't...it's possibly the harshest movement you can do on your shoulders which is why I'm considering replacing it with something safer.

45lb db's for Arnolds are pretty rough, which is why I was only able to do 8. If/when I follow up that set with more, odds are I'll only do 6 and then 4. That exercise in my routine is to failure, so if all I can do that week is 4, 2 and 1, that's all I'd do.