*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

So I officially am in wait to get surgery done on my shoulder. I will not be able to lift weights with my upper body again until at least December. Some of this is due to the fact I'm putting off surgery until after the school year, but you get the point.

Someone in my office mentioned a St. Jude Marathon happening here in December. I realized that instead of half-assing my way around the weight room and aimlessly conditioning, I can start to prepare for that marathon. Granted, there will be a significant "blip" of sorts in May when I get operated on, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't start prepping now. I can do 5 and 10k's before then and I'll be in a far better starting position then than I am now if I start hitting it hard.

With that said, anyone have any suggestions on how to get started on this quest? I don't want to plunge in too quickly and get hurt. I used to train with the Dr. Daniels Running Bible in high school, should I pick that up?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 5, 2013 -> 09:52 PM)
So I officially am in wait to get surgery done on my shoulder. I will not be able to lift weights with my upper body again until at least December. Some of this is due to the fact I'm putting off surgery until after the school year, but you get the point.

Someone in my office mentioned a St. Jude Marathon happening here in December. I realized that instead of half-assing my way around the weight room and aimlessly conditioning, I can start to prepare for that marathon. Granted, there will be a significant "blip" of sorts in May when I get operated on, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't start prepping now. I can do 5 and 10k's before then and I'll be in a far better starting position then than I am now if I start hitting it hard.

With that said, anyone have any suggestions on how to get started on this quest? I don't want to plunge in too quickly and get hurt. I used to train with the Dr. Daniels Running Bible in high school, should I pick that up?

There are many different way to do it. I've personally run 6 marathons. Some of it depends on your goal. Is it just to finish or to achieve a time goal.

Here is a link for a couple of good just to finish types: http://www.marathonrookie.com/marathon-training.html.

There is literally nothing I like doing more than legs. I honestly don't even like the workouts themselves...so.much.burning...but there is no time I feel better after working out.

That, and being able to lift more than your body weight is awesome and makes me feel like a man. HEY LOOK I CAN LEG PRESS 400 POUNDS I AM THE MANLIEST MAN OF THEM ALL (and then my buddy put up 8 reps at 718 pounds and I felt silly again).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
There is literally nothing I like doing more than legs. I honestly don't even like the workouts themselves...so.much.burning...but there is no time I feel better after working out.

That, and being able to lift more than your body weight is awesome and makes me feel like a man. HEY LOOK I CAN LEG PRESS 400 POUNDS I AM THE MANLIEST MAN OF THEM ALL (and then my buddy put up 8 reps at 718 pounds and I felt silly again).

I would just like to reiterate that I love doing legs

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
don't be that guy in the gym that does shrugs wrong...do NOT roll your shoulders, this is a straight up/down movement, all rolling your shoulders does is mess up your rotator cuff.

LOL

I've always found that to be the most bizarre thing when I came across someone doing that in the gym. Why not just do a similar odd rotation for your other exercises, like curls? :D

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
LOL

I've always found that to be the most bizarre thing when I came across someone doing that in the gym. Why not just do a similar odd rotation for your other exercises, like curls? :D

It's hilarious because your right, so many people do it and its like...why?! What sense does that possibly make? But then again, most people in gyms are there for the wrong reasons to begin with so I understand why and how they have such bad habits.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)
I hate being sick and not being able to work out. I hate it so much. I am so close to uncovering my abs again.

Yea, I know exactly how you feel. I was like this early this week...had norovirus, and one of the first things I thought was, "damnit there goes a few days, if not a weeks worth of workouts".

I'm having fun doing my runs every morning and not lifting for my upper body...

but seriously. Getting up and doing 3+ mile runs 5 days out of the week is like crack. I have never been so outgoing and upbeat in my everyday life. I don't know that it is simply exercising that does it, maybe it's being outside, maybe it's jamming to music for 30 minutes while I run....but it is great. My rest days suck.

Now I need to start getting more compression shorts so I don't have to wash mine every day. And socks that don't make me blister. And some anti-chafing lubricant. And probably need to start thinking about new shoes, but at least I got my last pair from a running store so they are suited for my stride style.

The part that I'm not too close to, but seems completely crazy, is when these training manuals are telling me I'm supposed to wear a fanny pack on my 60+ minute runs to hold water and snacks. I just can't fathom wearing a fanny pack around.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 16, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
If you had to condense an 8k, 8 week training program into 7 weeks, which week can you skip? Or is there a different way to modify something like this?

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51095/8K-Training-Guide

You can modify it. I would probably remove one of the weeks that is most redundant, particularly in terms of the long run day. I don't want to say which, because it depends on you. If you think that it will be a cinch to finish, etc. and are really training for time, you might want to cut one of the earlier weeks. If you are starting from a lower baseline, then you might cut out one of the later weeks with 4 miles. The key when you are going to cut is that you don't want to have to jump up the training intensity too much at any one time. If those weeks later in the schedule are basically harder than you've ever trained then I would say cut out the hardest week. If this is a deal where you actually want to have a competitive time, you'll cut out one of the easier weeks that wouldn't have done much for you in the first place.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)

but seriously. Getting up and doing 3+ mile runs 5 days out of the week is like crack. I have never been so outgoing and upbeat in my everyday life. I don't know that it is simply exercising that does it, maybe it's being outside, maybe it's jamming to music for 30 minutes while I run....but it is great. My rest days suck.

Now I need to start getting more compression shorts so I don't have to wash mine every day. And socks that don't make me blister. And some anti-chafing lubricant. And probably need to start thinking about new shoes, but at least I got my last pair from a running store so they are suited for my stride style.

The part that I'm not too close to, but seems completely crazy, is when these training manuals are telling me I'm supposed to wear a fanny pack on my 60+ minute runs to hold water and snacks. I just can't fathom wearing a fanny pack around.

For a 60-minute run at 10 minutes per mile pace, you really don't need water/snacks, especially in this weather. As it gets hotter, it will change. But I don't think water is must for that type of run so long as make sure you are hydrated pre-run.

If you are planning on doing a marathon as it looks like, you need to make sure you have strong legs. Not like super lifter legs, but running legs to prevent common running injuries that occur when people start upping mileage like shin splints, plantar fasciitis, etc.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)

It's the endorphins and enkaphalin release you get after 30-40 of continuous exercise. Seratonin use is also altered. They are all mood enhancers after regular release.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 16, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
For a 60-minute run at 10 minutes per mile pace, you really don't need water/snacks, especially in this weather. As it gets hotter, it will change. But I don't think water is must for that type of run so long as make sure you are hydrated pre-run.

If you are planning on doing a marathon as it looks like, you need to make sure you have strong legs. Not like super lifter legs, but running legs to prevent common running injuries that occur when people start upping mileage like shin splints, plantar fasciitis, etc.

You really need water in the winter. It's very dry when the weather gets cold. Humidifiers on your furnace really kick in for the winter. You're right about the snacks, not as much of the calorie burn.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 15, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
I'm so the opposite. Are you doing any squats? They are great result-wise but really make me loathe leg day.

Oh yeah. Probably my favorite thing to do. The guys I work out with hate doing legs too and they're all "No one will see our legs anyways" which is partly true but legs are so vital to everything you do in the gym. Worked the calves a little too hard, but I feel good otherwise.

So I have been working out 4-5 days per week since September. I have been focusing on muscle growth and have seen a lot of improvement there. I have been looking shred a few pounds around my stomach, so that I can get some solid abs for the first time since high school (I am 27 now). I am naturally pretty skinny, but still have a few pounds of stomach fat that I would need to shred. I have never dieted too seriously before and was looking for tips...and yes not drinking beer is on the top of my list. If knows anything that could be useful I would love to hear it. Thanks!

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
So I have been working out 4-5 days per week since September. I have been focusing on muscle growth and have seen a lot of improvement there. I have been looking shred a few pounds around my stomach, so that I can get some solid abs for the first time since high school (I am 27 now). I am naturally pretty skinny, but still have a few pounds of stomach fat that I would need to shred. I have never dieted too seriously before and was looking for tips...and yes not drinking beer is on the top of my list. If knows anything that could be useful I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Lower your fat intake ever so slightly, and no carbs at night. ;) The problem will fix itself.