*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Squats, also known as the someday I'll be visiting ptatc for knee rehab workout.

I do use the Smith machine when doing squats, so it is assisted somewhat. I also don't ever plan on doing a ton of weight with squats simply because if a knee or my back gives, you can have weight falling on your pretty quickly (which is also why I use the Smith machine as well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
Oh yeah. Probably my favorite thing to do. The guys I work out with hate doing legs too and they're all "No one will see our legs anyways" which is partly true but legs are so vital to everything you do in the gym. Worked the calves a little too hard, but I feel good otherwise.

n7qkm96.jpg

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
I do use the Smith machine when doing squats, so it is assisted somewhat. I also don't ever plan on doing a ton of weight with squats simply because if a knee or my back gives, you can have weight falling on your pretty quickly (which is also why I use the Smith machine as well.

I do heavy weight squats with the smith machine and lighter with out. I love/hate it. Despise it while I'm doing it but squats make my athletic perfirmance(especially vertical leap) so much greater.

I've ramped up my workouts/nutrition as of late, even scheduling training sessions very early on weekend mornings so I don't ruin my diet the night before by drinking myself into oblivion.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
I do heavy weight squats with the smith machine and lighter with out. I love/hate it. Despise it while I'm doing it but squats make my athletic perfirmance(especially vertical leap) so much greater.

I've ramped up my workouts/nutrition as of late, even scheduling training sessions very early on weekend mornings so I don't ruin my diet the night before by drinking myself into oblivion.

1. Who are you?

2. Can you dunk on an 8' yet?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 08:09 PM)
1. Who are you?

2. Can you dunk on an 8' yet?

1. Ha. I absolutely despise it but when I get to a certain point it's a necessary adjustment I have to make to break on through to get where I want to get.

2. Har har har. I can hang on a 10 foot rim pretty easily but since I can't palm a ball while running I can't dunk yet. Hopefully by May or so ill be there.

A little over a year ago, I was at 240 pounds and my goal was to get to 199, where I was my senior year of high school right before baseball season started. On February 7th, I reached that goal. It was an incredible feeling of achievement for me.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
A little over a year ago, I was at 240 pounds and my goal was to get to 199, where I was my senior year of high school right before baseball season started. On February 7th, I reached that goal. It was an incredible feeling of achievement for me.

Congrats! That's amazing...keep up the good work!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)

Congrats man, that's awesome.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Anybody know a reliable workout calorie calculator? I've seen plenty online but not sure which ones are actually accurate, etc.

I use a monitor that I wear and it counts it for me. Everything else i've found is a bad guess.

Edited by RockRaines

I need some advice. I've been doing these workouts I saw in a mens fitness mag but I feel like its missing different variations of curls. It's 2 workouts that I'm doing both twice a week. Exercise 1 has me benching, overhead press, deadlifts, dips, and pullups (that I do with a resistance band to mimic the motion). Exercise 2 has me doin speed squats, romanian deadlift, and barbell lunges. Where should I add in some curls? Any other tips are appreciated as well.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
I need some advice. I've been doing these workouts I saw in a mens fitness mag but I feel like its missing different variations of curls. It's 2 workouts that I'm doing both twice a week. Exercise 1 has me benching, overhead press, deadlifts, dips, and pullups (that I do with a resistance band to mimic the motion). Exercise 2 has me doin speed squats, romanian deadlift, and barbell lunges. Where should I add in some curls? Any other tips are appreciated as well.

Whenever/wherever you want. If you do curls (bicep), be sure you do triceps extensions too. Your bicep is only 1/3 of your arm, your triceps is actually the remaining, bigger portion.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
A guy I work with as a PBP announcer at baseball games will start ripping off sets of this or that between every inning.

yeah... that guy's probably a douche. :P

I'm adopting the Primal Blueprint Fitness plan for a while to see what I think. I'm eating paleo right now (yeah the vegan thing went away because I went gluten free to test myself for sensitivities, and now my reflux is all but gone....... and vegan + gluten free is f***ing impossible)

Just did 6x50 yard jog followed by six 50 yard sprints at 100% effort with time in between to get my breathing back to normal. Sounds like nothing - but that's an AWESOME workout. And apparently sprinting can increase your cardio endurance just as well as... well... running a bunch of miles. Pretty neat.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
I'm adopting the Primal Blueprint Fitness plan for a while to see what I think. I'm eating paleo right now (yeah the vegan thing went away because I went gluten free to test myself for sensitivities, and now my reflux is all but gone....... and vegan + gluten free is f***ing impossible)

Just did 6x50 yard jog followed by six 50 yard sprints at 100% effort with time in between to get my breathing back to normal. Sounds like nothing - but that's an AWESOME workout. And apparently sprinting can increase your cardio endurance just as well as... well... running a bunch of miles. Pretty neat.

Sprinting is an excellent exercise. For body composition and general cardiovascular health, it can't be beaten. I haven't looked into the plan you've mentioned, but HIIT w/ sprints sounds like a good start.

In other nudes, my long slow running in preparation for a longer and slower run is going real well :) I bought Hal Higdon's book "Marathon" today to repay him for the free training plans :P

• 2 weeks later...