*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got home from work last night a little after 11 and was motivated to hit the gym. I was in there for about 2 hours and absolutely crushed it with the place all to myself. It was so weird as to how intense and focused my workout was at that time of day.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 01:25 AM)
Got home from work last night a little after 11 and was motivated to hit the gym. I was in there for about 2 hours and absolutely crushed it with the place all to myself. It was so weird as to how intense and focused my workout was at that time of day.

I never work out that late or I wouldn't be able to sleep.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
I never work out that late or I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Yea I try not work out after 9pm because I have issues getting to sleep otherwise.

The spin class I was in yesterday had at least 20 minutes of climbs, brutal but felt great afterwards. A few new people were in the class, one of them literally was on the lowest level for about 10 minutes and called it quits. She was out of shape but it looked more like laziness, why even go to one of these classes if you're going to put zero effort into it?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
So far T25 has been a breath of fresh air after phase 1 of P90X3. I really wanted more cardio instead of weights and I definitely got it. You know you got a great workout when your legs are dripping sweat.

I just started gamma. It's been an awesome workout. I've never done weight work that is so intense, but this is the first time I've ever stuck with any workout for 2-3 months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
How's your progress? Any advice?

Given that you've done other programs you probably have a good bead on what to do. I've not followed the diet plan but I wasn't worried about weight. I've dropped an inch in my waist but I'm a 31". My endurance is way better and my abs and legs are in the best shape they've ever been in. I'm hoping to get good results in my arms and chest from gamma. I've always struggled to gain muscle so we will see what happens.

I think doing the double days is key and doing the workouts consecutively rather than just 2 in a day. If you miss a day just add a double day. What I love is that you can really shorten the week if you get busy at work or something and just do more double. I've had much better luck sticking with it because of the flexibility.

• 4 weeks later...

I hurt my right shoulder working out (I use mostly machines, but do curls with a bar). I switched to lighter weights for a week or two, but then couldn't even play catch over the weekend. Not asking for medical advice, just opinions based on experience: How long should I completely rest it before easing back in to workouts or (God forbid) having it checked? I am planning on giving it at least a full week while dosing with Aleve.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
I hurt my right shoulder working out (I use mostly machines, but do curls with a bar). I switched to lighter weights for a week or two, but then couldn't even play catch over the weekend. Not asking for medical advice, just opinions based on experience: How long should I completely rest it before easing back in to workouts or (God forbid) having it checked? I am planning on giving it at least a full week while dosing with Aleve.

If it's that bad that you're taking drugs (Alive) to lessen the pain, it's possibly a severe strain due to overuse. Are you able to raise your arm above shoulder level? If so, is it more painful than normal when you do it?

You should rest it until you don't feel pain for full recovery, and depending on which muscles or tendons you affected, that could take anywhere from a week to several weeks. Your body usually lets you know when something is wrong, we just have a tendency to ignore the signals.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
If it's that bad that you're taking drugs (Alive) to lessen the pain, it's possibly a severe strain due to overuse. Are you able to raise your arm above shoulder level? If so, is it more painful than normal when you do it?

You should rest it until you don't feel pain for full recovery, and depending on which muscles or tendons you affected, that could take anywhere from a week to several weeks. Your body usually lets you know when something is wrong, we just have a tendency to ignore the signals.

I've blown out my shoulder by overuse before so if it hurts, dont push it. Do legs and cardio and rest that motha. Shoulder injuries SUCK

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
I've blown out my shoulder by overuse before so if it hurts, dont push it. Do legs and cardio and rest that motha. Shoulder injuries SUCK

Shoulders are the one area I try to be extra careful with, regardless of what I do. There is so much that can go wrong in there from the most innocent of mistakes. Whenever I so much as tweak a shoulder, even if it's just minor, I do exactly what you said, I stay away from it and do legs or something else to let it rest.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Shoulders are the one area I try to be extra careful with, regardless of what I do. There is so much that can go wrong in there from the most innocent of mistakes. Whenever I so much as tweak a shoulder, even if it's just minor, I do exactly what you said, I stay away from it and do legs or something else to let it rest.

Thanks, guys. I don't do patience that well, but will stay idle for awhile. The other day, I could barely wash my hair in the shower it hurt so bad, so trying to "work through it" was definitely dumb.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Thanks, guys. I don't do patience that well, but will stay idle for awhile. The other day, I could barely wash my hair in the shower it hurt so bad, so trying to "work through it" was definitely dumb.

When I blew mine out because of sports I couldn't lift anything of significance for over a year.

Since then if it's tweaked I simply do legs or cardio for a few days.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
pretty sure my wife got turf toe walking on the treadmill. blaming it on the cheap nikes she switched to a couple of weeks ago.

Yikes, thats painful.

The Nike frees have been known to cause foot issues, I got plantar in my right foot after switching over and now I wont put them on for anything other than driving.

I busted out my one semester of Athletic Training from HS (plus some helpful yt videos) to tape her toe up last night. That plus wrapping her whole foot loosely in an ace bandage and then wearing some compression socks helped a little.

She's a teacher, so it's not like she can just sit behind a desk and stay off of it all day, either.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
I busted out my one semester of Athletic Training from HS (plus some helpful yt videos) to tape her toe up last night. That plus wrapping her whole foot loosely in an ace bandage and then wearing some compression socks helped a little.

She's a teacher, so it's not like she can just sit behind a desk and stay off of it all day, either.

Jeez, how many of us are married to teachers on here?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
pretty sure my wife got turf toe walking on the treadmill. blaming it on the cheap nikes she switched to a couple of weeks ago.

Nikes are very narrow shoes. They tend to do this to people who don't have narrow enough feet. Try New Balance or saucony if she continues to have issues. They have wider toe boxes.