*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Getting rid of that stubborn fat around your belly takes diet, of course in combination with your exercise regimen. Eating right/clean will kill that fat deposit, and one of the things that will help you do that is by eating good fats (within reason). Fats such as coconut, olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc. It will take time if done properly, but it will happen.

I've heard of the workouts you speak of, but I've not done them. I'm not a huge fan of interval/high intensity training, they tend to tire me out which affects my ability to target specific body parts at full force. It's like doing cardio before strength training...sure, you'll still be able to train, but you'll be tired from the cardio causing you to lift less weight for less reps.

So, keep eating clean, and eventually I'll get there (it really is stubborn there, the fecker). Ok. I can live with that as I have been, with just allowing myself the odd cheat meal here and there.

See if I switch my macro-nutrient calculations from fat loss to bulking, I reckon I'm going to have to start eating pasta or rice or potatoes again to have a hope of making up my required carb numbers. Do you see that as a problem in terms of the 'eating clean' angle as long as they fit within my macro-nutrient numbers? I've been giving them a miss with my recent approach to eating due to the starch in them.

Thanks for your answers so far. Appreciated.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jun 6, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
So, keep eating clean, and eventually I'll get there (it really is stubborn there, the fecker). Ok. I can live with that as I have been, with just allowing myself the odd cheat meal here and there.

See if I switch my macro-nutrient calculations from fat loss to bulking, I reckon I'm going to have to start eating pasta or rice or potatoes again to have a hope of making up my required carb numbers. Do you see that as a problem in terms of the 'eating clean' angle as long as they fit within my macro-nutrient numbers? I've been giving them a miss with my recent approach to eating due to the starch in them.

Thanks for your answers so far. Appreciated.

You should be able to bulk up without adding a bunch of carbs to your diet, unless you have one of those "I just can't put on weight" metabolisms, which it doesn't sound like you do. I wouldn't worry about altering your diet to add muscle, just make sure you are getting sufficient protein every day, but there is no reason to add a bunch of carbs.

• 1 month later...

This will sound stupid but does anyone else have an exercise they have trouble with mastering the form? For the life of me I can not nail deadlifts. I've worked in the fitness industry for a while and I research this stuff all the time so I know how they're supposed to be done but for whatever reason I always round my back. So I just won't do them anymore if a trainer isn't with me. It's annoying as hell.

On a positive note, hit my personal best on squats this week.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
This will sound stupid but does anyone else have an exercise they have trouble with mastering the form? For the life of me I can not nail deadlifts. I've worked in the fitness industry for a while and I research this stuff all the time so I know how they're supposed to be done but for whatever reason I always round my back. So I just won't do them anymore if a trainer isn't with me. It's annoying as hell.

Lunges. My form is always terrible. Probably because of my knees.

Does your beer helmet fall off your head?

It doesn't sound stupid at all, and you'd be surprised to hear that most people have trouble mastering MOST of what they do, because most never bother to learn how to do it properly. I've personally found that any gym I've become a member of or visited over the years, and it's been a LOT of them, I'd guesstimate that about 80% of the people in there have no idea what they're doing or why. If you talk to them, you can observe them perform exercises that are counter to their goals and they don't even know it, and worse, they don't care. So long as they're in a gym doing something, they've convinced themselves they're doing it right, and to a degree, they have a point in that doing something is better than doing nothing, but my counter point to that is they COULD be doing it way more efficiently, see greater gains (or losses, depending on their goals), in a shorter amount of time if they spent any time learning to do it right.

As to your deadlift problem, the good news is you're aware of what you're doing wrong, which means it's correctable. Next time you deadlift, whatever weight you normally lift, drop it by half. Yes, half. What you're looking to do with the lighter weight is master your form, which is much easier to do when you're lifting "easy" weight. Now, with half the weight on the bar, stand in front of the mirror and flatten your back, rolling your shoulders back to keep you from rounding out, and then perform the lift...it'll be easy because it's so light, perform the move slowly and watch your form in the mirror. After you recognize how you hold your back/shoulders, add the weight back on.

The big issue with this is to NOT worry about what other people around you think about you lift lighter weight, etc. Open a little bubble around you and live in the moment, and don't be self-conscious of what others think, your only goal here is to overcome a flaw in your form you're fully aware of.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
y2hh I know you posted some of your routines before, would you mind posting again? I need something new.

What body parts in specific are you interested in?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)
I could use to add weight pretty much everywhere.

I'm not sure which workouts I posted, but whatever the case may, I guarantee it's changed since...

I'll start with my arm routine -- yes, I have an actual arm routine, performed on a day where I work nothing but arms. You will have to adjust the weights up or down based on what you can lift.

-----

Barbel Bicep Curl (or curl bar)

8 reps @ 60 lbs

8 reps @ 70 lbs

8 reps (or to failure) @ 80 lbs

To failure @ 90 lbs

French Press (Skullcrushers)

10 reps @ 60 lbs

10 reps @ 70 lbs

10 reps (or to failure) @ 80lbs

To failure @ 90lbs

Standing Alternating Single Arm Dumbbell Bicep Curl

(This is when you hold a dumbbell in each hand, and curl one at a time)

8 reps (or to failure) @ 30 lbs (each dumbbell is 30lbs)

6 reps (or to failure) @ 35 lbs (each dumbbell is 35lbs)

4 reps (or to failure) @ 40 lbs (each dumbbell is 40lbs)

* When performing this exercise, concentrate on accentuating the negative.

Dips

(You can add weight with a chain if you want to go over bodyweight)

10 reps @ bodyweight

10 reps @ bodyweight

10 reps @ bodyweight

Single Arm Dumbbell Hammer Curl

(Do one arm, rest, do the other arm, rest, repeat.)

8 reps (or to failure) @ 30 lbs

8 reps (or to failure) @ 35 lbs

8 reps (or to failure) @ 40 lbs

Single Arm Inverted Grip Cable Pulldowns/Tricep Extensions

(This is where you grip the cable machine handle with your palm facing up, and you'll pull it down with your tricep.)

On this specific machine, weights are not listed, but some sort of resistance factor is, so I don't know what I'm lifting here...but I do 3 sets to failure (or to 10), I try to find a weight where on the first set, I can do all 10, and the following sets I'll usually fail to get above 6.

-----

...and that is my current arm routine. Keep in mind, as in the past, I try to limit my time in the gym to LESS than 60 minutes, so most of my routines are NOT long, but they are intense.

• 3 weeks later...

As I have upped my weekly runs to four days a week for marathon training, I have had to cut back on my weightlifting due to lack of time. My normal routine is to lift 4 times a week (1 of them a "leg day"), using heavy weights for 3 sets of 6-10 reps each.

I am curious as to what is the "minimum" amount of lifting I can get away with just to "maintain" through October. I am thinking/hoping I should lift just once a week (eliminating leg day altogether), and switch my routine to incorporate lighter weights with more reps.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
As I have upped my weekly runs to four days a week for marathon training, I have had to cut back on my weightlifting due to lack of time. My normal routine is to lift 4 times a week (1 of them a "leg day"), using heavy weights for 3 sets of 6-10 reps each.

I am curious as to what is the "minimum" amount of lifting I can get away with just to "maintain" through October. I am thinking/hoping I should lift just once a week (eliminating leg day altogether), and switch my routine to incorporate lighter weights with more reps.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Depends on the person, some can get away with "maintenance" for longer periods than others...

If you lift lighter, you will get smaller, that's just the way it works. You're body will only make itself big enough to perform the tasks you give it -- so if your arm needed to be 18" to curl 45's, and now you're doing 35's, it WILL naturally lose some of that now unnecessary mass over time. How long that takes is very dependent on the persons genetics, etc.

Doing higher rep counts with lighter weight is a way of making a weightlifting session somewhat hybrid cardio, but it will not make you bigger than you already are.

Being that this is only until October, any size you lose will be minimal and easy to replace.

Overhead squats. I think I just lack the shoulder flexibility

Hey guys! I have been lifting regularly for about 6 months now. I have always had pain(in outside of forearms) just when I release the preacher bar after doing a set of preacher curls. But now it has extended past just the exercise itself. I have pain randomly throughout my day in the outside of both of my forearms. I also now have the pain sometimes doing any upper body exercise. Do you guys have any recommendations or possible resolutions? Also I have already stopped doing preacher curls and substitute other bicep lifts

QUOTE (cws0591 @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
Hey guys! I have been lifting regularly for about 6 months now. I have always had pain(in outside of forearms) just when I release the preacher bar after doing a set of preacher curls. But now it has extended past just the exercise itself. I have pain randomly throughout my day in the outside of both of my forearms. I also now have the pain sometimes doing any upper body exercise. Do you guys have any recommendations or possible resolutions? Also I have already stopped doing preacher curls and substitute other bicep lifts

This is a question of Ptatc, as giving someone advice on injuries is something that should only be done by a professional.

• 1 month later...

Back on P90X2...couldn't ever really get into 3...just didn't like the compromises they made to fit the routines into 30 minutes.

PS3 pooped out on me a while back and my P90x2 is on blu ray, so had to wait til I got around to buying another blu ray player.

Started yesterday with core and plyo this morning. Trying to build back my core a bit, increase overall strength, and improve flexibility for my golf game.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
I just went to the doctor today and found out I put on 15 pounds muscle in the last 6 months. T25. I also have shoulder pain but that isn't important.

;)

Just don't over-train. I got ripped with the original P90X, but I reached a point where I couldn't move my neck or shoulder a certain way without terrible pain. ;)

Allow yourself the proper recovery time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
;)

Just don't over-train. I got ripped with the original P90X, but I reached a point where I couldn't move my neck or shoulder a certain way without terrible pain. ;)

Allow yourself the proper recovery time.

Yeah I allow plenty of recovery time. I've always had weird shoulder and upper back pain. If anything I have to make I'm doing the strength moves right.

Funny you mention shoulder issues as I've been feeling some odd sensations in mine when I've been lifting the last few weeks but today they felt a bit better so hopefully it's nothing. On a positive note, I've improved my squat and the height of my box jump so much in the last few months, fun stuff.

Congrats on the added muscle!