*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
I just went to the doctor today and found out I put on 15 pounds muscle in the last 6 months. T25. I also have shoulder pain but that isn't important.

Nice job man! Can't say I'm not envious.

I've been lifting 3x a week and running once a week for about 3 years now, and taking whey protein after each workout, for about 3 years now.. and I haven't noticed much if any results. I feel like the last 3 years have been a waste.

To make things worse, I threw out my back while hiking 2 weeks ago and have been laid up ever since. I'm almost back to 100%, still sore and tight if I sit in one place for a long (unfortunately I have an office desk job), but I wanna get back to lifting on Sunday. Is that too early to get back. Even though I'm not seeing results, I'm a lot stronger than I used to be, can lift much heavier weights and don't get winded at all if I run 3-4 miles. I just wish I looked a little different than 3 years ago. :angry:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 07:40 AM)

I've been lifting 3x a week and running once a week for about 3 years now, and taking whey protein after each workout, for about 3 years now.. and I haven't noticed much if any results. I feel like the last 3 years have been a waste.

To make things worse, I threw out my back while hiking 2 weeks ago and have been laid up ever since. I'm almost back to 100%, still sore and tight if I sit in one place for a long (unfortunately I have an office desk job), but I wanna get back to lifting on Sunday. Is that too early to get back. Even though I'm not seeing results, I'm a lot stronger than I used to be, can lift much heavier weights and don't get winded at all if I run 3-4 miles. I just wish I looked a little different than 3 years ago. :angry:

If you're stronger than you were and are in better shape overall, you probably do look better, you just might not notice it. And taking protein is great and all but if you're looking to add muscle you have to eat excess calories to what you're burning. So make sure you're eating enough.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 07:40 AM)

You should realize that I'm 5'9" and now weigh 165. I don't even know that most people would notice the gain. I'm a bit scrawny.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
I just went to the doctor today and found out I put on 15 pounds muscle in the last 6 months. T25. I also have shoulder pain but that isn't important.

I wouldn't say it's not important.

It's not normal to have shoulder pain.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
You should realize that I'm 5'9" and now weigh 165. I don't even know that most people would notice the gain. I'm a bit scrawny.

5'9" and 165 doesn't mean much, body style has a lot to do with this, because it determines to a large extent where the weight is distributed across your frame.

I'm 5'7" and 153lbs, but I look sure don't look scrawny.

As I mentioned last week, I just recently started my routine again. While I have been walking the golf course 2-3 times a week, I felt like I was starting to get a little too soft in my core and upper body, and I want to improve those things for my golf game, as well as just because I enjoy being fit.

Have done 5 workouts now, as well as playing football for 2.5 hours on Saturday and 9 holes of walking the course. Diet has stayed stable, with the addition of a few healthy snacks here and there, but nothing major.

I expected to drop about 5-10 pounds, as this is what usually happens when I first begin the routine again. Surprisingly, however, I have actually put on 3-5 pounds in the last 9 days.

I am somewhat surprised....seems a bit fast to be adding muscle, but it sure as hell isn't fat. I think once your body builds muscle over a consistent period of time, even if you take a few months off, it tends to rebuild very quickly once you resume. At least I hope this is what is going on...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
As I mentioned last week, I just recently started my routine again. While I have been walking the golf course 2-3 times a week, I felt like I was starting to get a little too soft in my core and upper body, and I want to improve those things for my golf game, as well as just because I enjoy being fit.

Have done 5 workouts now, as well as playing football for 2.5 hours on Saturday and 9 holes of walking the course. Diet has stayed stable, with the addition of a few healthy snacks here and there, but nothing major.

I expected to drop about 5-10 pounds, as this is what usually happens when I first begin the routine again. Surprisingly, however, I have actually put on 3-5 pounds in the last 9 days.

I am somewhat surprised....seems a bit fast to be adding muscle, but it sure as hell isn't fat. I think once your body builds muscle over a consistent period of time, even if you take a few months off, it tends to rebuild very quickly once you resume. At least I hope this is what is going on...

Golf season has really ruined my fitness routines. My game is a lot better but the 19th hole/outings etc has really softened me up.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
So started this Whole 30 diet with the wife on Sunday...meat, vegetables, fruits, and some nuts, that's it.

I've been doing a modified(meaning I give myself a weekend day for drinky and something different to eat) version of that for a few weeks now. You'll obviously have your cravings but it's honestly not the hardest thing in the world to do. The fruit keeps me sane.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
I've been doing a modified(meaning I give myself a weekend day for drinky and something different to eat) version of that for a few weeks now. You'll obviously have your cravings but it's honestly not the hardest thing in the world to do. The fruit keeps me sane.

Workouts this week have been tough...by the end, I am dragging, especially today when I did plyo....I'm just wondering if I have enough glycogen or glucose stores or whatever to sustain workouts that intense...then I'm supposed to eat mashed pumpkin or some s*** afterwards....right

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
Workouts this week have been tough...by the end, I am dragging, especially today when I did plyo....I'm just wondering if I have enough glycogen or glucose stores or whatever to sustain workouts that intense...then I'm supposed to eat mashed pumpkin or some s*** afterwards....right

Ha I'm sure your body will get used to it. The intensity of my workouts really hasn't changed to be honest, maybe because I do them basically right when I get up so I never have too much food in me to begin with.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
So how'd this go Shack?

I'm still sticking to a modified version of it and I'm liking the results overall.

Hah, not well. I learned my body does not function well without carbs.

I had a few things on my calendar that were going to interfere with this nonsense (guy's night out on the strip, PGA tourney), so we just gave up after a week.

We try and eat this way a few nights a week, and most of the weekdays, we keep it pretty healthy, but my wife's cooking/baking skills are too good to not cheat a bit.

Overall, we do pretty well though.

• 3 weeks later...

I started dating my GF in July. Since then, I've lost 20 pounds of muscle. Went from 211 to 191.5. So disappointing to see all that hard work go down the drain. Getting back into it the last couple weeks though. I've been eating and training like a mad man.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)
I started dating my GF in July. Since then, I've lost 20 pounds of muscle. Went from 211 to 191.5. So disappointing to see all that hard work go down the drain. Getting back into it the last couple weeks though. I've been eating and training like a mad man.

You're supposed to get fat when you get a gf, not lose weight. ;)

I've been doing a session a week with a trainer to go along with my normal training. Definitely helps with my overall conditioning.

So I stopped doing bench press a year ago because it was hurting my shoulder. Decided to give it another shot on Wed. Of course woke up today and my shoulder is killing me again.

Sucks only being able to do pulley's and machines for chest.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
So I stopped doing bench press a year ago because it was hurting my shoulder. Decided to give it another shot on Wed. Of course woke up today and my shoulder is killing me again.

Sucks only being able to do pulley's and machines for chest.

Have you tried only lowering until your humrus is parallel to the floor? Many people let it go to low and injure the anterior capsule of the shoulder.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 07:05 AM)
Have you tried only lowering until your humrus is parallel to the floor? Many people let it go to low and injure the anterior capsule of the shoulder.

Yeah. I never let the bar hit my chest. Think my body is just weird.