*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Quick question/dilemma...

I work out regularly, typical Chest/Back/Legs/Shoulders/Arms split.

An opportunity presented itself and I might be joining a soccer indoor team, that plays every Thursday. I've played a ton when I was a kid and I'd like to get back into it. How would I modify my workout split so my legs are not completely dead come game time?

Take legs out of the workout on Thursday is your easiest answer.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)

An opportunity presented itself and I might be joining a soccer indoor team, that plays every Thursday. I've played a ton when I was a kid and I'd like to get back into it. How would I modify my workout split so my legs are not completely dead come game time?

Usually, when people refer to working out, they're doing so for the sake of being in good general shape. This allows them to do pretty much any kind of working out, which burns calories, builds muscle, sheds excess fat, etc. Keeping that in mind, when a person is working out to better themselves/their performance at a specific task/sport, working out is no longer generalized, but specialized, and it should be tailored to that specific sport.

With a sport like soccer, which is very similar to interval/endurance training, I'd either do a very light leg day, or skip it altogether and start concentrating on interval training, or some sort of combination of both (light leg day/interval). Jogging/sprinting interval training, stair master, box jumping, etc...as soccer requires a LOT of that type of movement, it would be more beneficial to incorporate such movements into your usual leg day, which would increase your endurance astronomically as compared to what you're currently doing.

Simply lifting heavy weight to the point your legs are "dead" isn't going to translate to much on field performance (if any at all), mostly what that's good for is a general "bodybuilder" look and base strength, but as for actual on-field performance, if you aren't a running back that has to churn through bodies trying to tackle you, I don't see much use for a traditional weightlifting "leg day" in the common sense of the word when applied to soccer, hockey, baseball, etc...

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)

How are your results with that program? Seems to be (im not trying to insult you) a little "old school".

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
Simply lifting heavy weight to the point your legs are "dead" isn't going to translate to much on field performance (if any at all), mostly what that's good for is a general "bodybuilder" look and base strength, but as for actual on-field performance, if you aren't a running back that has to churn through bodies trying to tackle you, I don't see much use for a traditional weightlifting "leg day" in the common sense of the word when applied to soccer, hockey, baseball, etc...

Good point, the soccer league is by no mean anything close to professional where I would modify my routine strictly for the sport, but tweaking it where it becomes a lot more cardiovascular will help me in the general goal which is loosing fat and leaning out. Thanks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
How are your results with that program? Seems to be (im not trying to insult you) a little "old school".

Nothing to brag about to be honest, I didn't get into working out till my twenties and I've made very slow progress until present day. Im 30 now.

I'm 5'9" and 175lbs, looking at the numbers it doesn't seem bad but I'm about 18% body fat, and I would love to get down to 12%.

I love my beer and I love to eat so it has been a constant battle with the diet, but sometimes I get so burnt out I hit the gym hard for week, two then on week 3 I get in there and just go through the motions.

I have a Vegas trip coming up in June and I would like to be able to take off my shirt and feel 100% comfortable, no body builder here, just want to lean out and have an athletic physique.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
Good point, the soccer league is by no mean anything close to professional where I would modify my routine strictly for the sport, but tweaking it where it becomes a lot more cardiovascular will help me in the general goal which is loosing fat and leaning out. Thanks.

Nothing to brag about to be honest, I didn't get into working out till my twenties and I've made very slow progress until present day. Im 30 now.

I'm 5'9" and 175lbs, looking at the numbers it doesn't seem bad but I'm about 18% body fat, and I would love to get down to 12%.

I love my beer and I love to eat so it has been a constant battle with the diet, but sometimes I get so burnt out I hit the gym hard for week, two then on week 3 I get in there and just go through the motions.

I have a Vegas trip coming up in June and I would like to be able to take off my shirt and feel 100% comfortable, no body builder here, just want to lean out and have an athletic physique.

So thats kind of what I am getting at. Your routine looks like a bulk routine instead of a slim down athletic one. The typical "one body part per day" is for packing on muscle, not necessarily for staying in good shape.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)

The bold is the good news.

Really good news.

You're still young enough that you aren't fighting age, so if you want to do it, you can...you just have to decide shedding that bodyfat is worth more to you than eating/drinking whatever you want.

Vegetables and lean meat/protein (if meat is your thing) are your new best friends.

Beer is also, and I know you don't want to hear this, but beer is bad. The bang for the buck makes beer an absolutely terrible trade. And by bang for buck, what I mean is, the bang is the buzz and the buck is the sheer amount of dead calories you're ingesting to get that bang. Take up vodka and diet tonic w/lime, or something of that nature...far more bang, far less buck. ;) After you get to your goal weight (or even before), drink beer when you're with your buddies and the girls poolside, or at a ballgame...otherwise look at it like a treat you don't otherwise drink...but if you want to do this -- and I mean really do it -- you'll have to exert a certain amount of self-control along the way.

I'll also reiterate what Rock said above...you're current routine is for packing on size, not toning up or slimming down.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
So thats kind of what I am getting at. Your routine looks like a bulk routine instead of a slim down athletic one. The typical "one body part per day" is for packing on muscle, not necessarily for staying in good shape.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
The bold is the good news.

Really good news.

I'll also reiterate what Rock said above...you're current routine is for packing on size, not toning up or slimming down.

I actually gave up alcohol for a month (baby steps, I'll be in Chicago for opening day.. but not drinking AT ALL until then.)

Here is my current diet:

Meal 1: 8oz skim milk, 1 serving of protein, 1/2 cup of oats, dried strawberries sprinkled on top.

Meal 2: Protein shake with half a cup frozen fruit, and water.

Meal 3: Chicken breast, (cooked on a skillet, using olive oil) 75 grams (when uncooked) of 100% whole wheat organic pasta, 4 spears of asparagus baked

Meal 4: Quest Protein bar

Meal 5: 3 whole eggs scrambled

This is spread out between 12 hours. I usually workout after Meal 1, but sometimes depending on work, it goes Meal 1, Meal 3 [workout], Meal 2, Meal 4, Meal 5.

What kind of changes to this diet and my routine would benefit me in reaching my goal ?

Yeah, that is clean as hell too...

I usually do a protein shake on days I work out, eat a salad (no meat) for lunch, and then something reasonably healthy for dinner that my wife makes...i might have a quest bar if i am hungry during the day...and i might have a beer or some frozen custard at night too...

If you work out and eat reasonably, and add some protein to help your muscles recover, you're going to be in pretty good shape.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I actually gave up alcohol for a month (baby steps, I'll be in Chicago for opening day.. but not drinking AT ALL until then.)

Here is my current diet:

Meal 1: 8oz skim milk, 1 serving of protein, 1/2 cup of oats, dried strawberries sprinkled on top.

Meal 2: Protein shake with half a cup frozen fruit, and water.

Meal 3: Chicken breast, (cooked on a skillet, using olive oil) 75 grams (when uncooked) of 100% whole wheat organic pasta, 4 spears of asparagus baked

Meal 4: Quest Protein bar

Meal 5: 3 whole eggs scrambled

This is spread out between 12 hours. I usually workout after Meal 1, but sometimes depending on work, it goes Meal 1, Meal 3 [workout], Meal 2, Meal 4, Meal 5.

What kind of changes to this diet and my routine would benefit me in reaching my goal ?

Based on your size/body weight, you don't need anywhere near that much protein. You could literally cut 1/3rd of that protein and drink a few beers in its place as the calorie trade off and lose nothing in terms of size.

Strict diets are good and all, and believe me, that's strict...but your goal shouldn't be a month of strict dieting and no drinking before reverting to bad habits and undoing all the work. Your goal should be to find a happy medium...not a diet in the traditional sense of the word, but a way you eat normally, just better. Instead of shifting from 3rd to 6th for an arbitrary and limited amount of time in terms of "diet", find a way to shift into 5th permanently...that way you don't have to diet ever again. Believe me, there ARE ways to eat healthy more often than not and still have the ability to drink some beers or stop at McDonalds. The entire concept is control...and the best part is we all have control, we just have to exercise it.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
A lot of weight loss, getting fit and getting healthy is an internal mental war. You need motivation. You need to see some kind of result. Seeing the data, for me, helps to create that picture in my mind of what needs to happen to lose weight or continue to lose weight.

Agreed. I started using a calorie tracker app and its amazing how much easier it's become for me seeing everything laid out in front of me. Knowing how this meal or this exercise affects the day or know that a good morning workout and sensible lunch might make it OK to have that extra beer for dinner.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
How many days a week are you usually on the road, SS?

It always comes in giant chunks. 5 of the last seven weeks, plus at least two of the next four including this one. Working twelve hour days too.

At least it's in California though, could be worse.

Edited by StrangeSox

Has anyone punched through the weight loss plateau before? I started this diet on Jan 3rd. I'm eating good, healthy foods, about 1500-1600 calories a day. I end up walking 2-3 miles a day commuting/walking around my office, but otherwise no real exercise other than an occasional elliptical session or walking a golf course.

So far i'm down 22-23 lbs, which is great. But for about 2-2.5 weeks now i've been right at 222. Maybe a pound difference in that time span. I figure my metabolism has dropped and my body is used to the 1500-1600 calories it gets. I guess I should start exercising more regularly? Does the plateau eventually go away? If I keep doing the same thing am I just maintaining my current weight?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
being on the road is destroying my routine

It makes it very hard, I know sometimes you pack workout gear and it just goes unused.

The best advice I can give for the traveling folks is to focus on food and walking if nothing at all. Dont sit at the bar in the hotel all night, dont order ten sides and room service. If you do find a timeslot for working out, maybe download some easy 20-30 min routines on your phone that you can do regardless of the gym. And if its warm outside, run or jog or walk or whatever.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Has anyone punched through the weight loss plateau before? I started this diet on Jan 3rd. I'm eating good, healthy foods, about 1500-1600 calories a day. I end up walking 2-3 miles a day commuting/walking around my office, but otherwise no real exercise other than an occasional elliptical session or walking a golf course.

So far i'm down 22-23 lbs, which is great. But for about 2-2.5 weeks now i've been right at 222. Maybe a pound difference in that time span. I figure my metabolism has dropped and my body is used to the 1500-1600 calories it gets. I guess I should start exercising more regularly? Does the plateau eventually go away? If I keep doing the same thing am I just maintaining my current weight?

Sounds like you're body has met it's natural equilibrium, that's simply what you will weigh after taking those current factors into consideration.

If you want to lose more, you'll have to turn up the exercise...sounds like you have a pretty slow metabolism. If I ate 1500 calories a day, I'd weigh 90 pounds and starve to death (and I'm 158lbs now, which is about 5lb over my target weight).

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
Sounds like you're body has met it's natural equilibrium, that's simply what you will weigh after taking those current factors into consideration.

If you want to lose more, you'll have to turn up the exercise...sounds like you have a pretty slow metabolism. If I ate 1500 calories a day, I'd weigh 90 pounds and starve to death (and I'm 158lbs now, which is about 5lb over my target weight).

Ideally I want to lose another 15-20. I'm 6 foot. 6 foot 205 sounds about right. I guess i'll start hitting the exercises more regularly and see if that does the trick.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
It makes it very hard, I know sometimes you pack workout gear and it just goes unused.

The best advice I can give for the traveling folks is to focus on food and walking if nothing at all. Dont sit at the bar in the hotel all night, dont order ten sides and room service. If you do find a timeslot for working out, maybe download some easy 20-30 min routines on your phone that you can do regardless of the gym. And if its warm outside, run or jog or walk or whatever.

First couple of weeks I was getting a chance to go out and do some hiking in the hills around San Jose, but now I'm not even leaving the job site until seven. Really tough to even find time without even getting to motivation/laziness.

My wife and I are going to Yosemite for a weekend soon and she's going to be kicking my butt on the trails.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
First couple of weeks I was getting a chance to go out and do some hiking in the hills around San Jose, but now I'm not even leaving the job site until seven. Really tough to even find time without even getting to motivation/laziness.

My wife and I are going to Yosemite for a weekend soon and she's going to be kicking my butt on the trails.

What time do you usually head into the job site?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 07:11 PM)
working twelves (and salaried! hooray!) so it's been between 6:30 and 7. At least I walked a good two miles around the site today.

Get up at 5 a few mornings a week and get in a 45 minute workout...cardio or core...it'll do wonders for you.