*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
What do they consist of?

1 Small Pear

3/4 cup fresh or soaked Dates

1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds

1/4 cup Ground Flaxseeds

1/4 cup Hemp Protein

1/4 cup Walnuts

2 Tbsp Fresh Grated Ginger

Sea Salt to taste

2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds

Mix all ingredients in a food processor except for sesame seeds. Lay out batter, cover with sesame seeds and let dry for an hour or two. Cut into squares, shape into balls, etc, then keep in the freezer for up to a week. (They don't freeze solid)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
1 Small Pear

3/4 cup fresh or soaked Dates

1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds

1/4 cup Ground Flaxseeds

1/4 cup Hemp Protein

1/4 cup Walnuts

2 Tbsp Fresh Grated Ginger

Sea Salt to taste

2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds

Mix all ingredients in a food processor except for sesame seeds. Lay out batter, cover with sesame seeds and let dry for an hour or two. Cut into squares, shape into balls, etc, then keep in the freezer for up to a week. (They don't freeze solid)

Love me some soaked dates. ;)

Not that I'm a vegan but that recipe actually sounds pretty good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
Love me some soaked dates. ;)

Not that I'm a vegan but that recipe actually sounds pretty good.

Yeah it is, you could replace the hemp protein for something else and make it non-vegan. It would probably also taste a bit less grassy. But I don't mind that really. lol

Should we make a healthy eating thread? Might attract some of the people that don't feel like looking at the workout thread and could keep this one off-topic.

I know our ST's biggest loser forum or whatever we called it didn't last, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
Should we make a healthy eating thread? Might attract some of the people that don't feel like looking at the workout thread and could keep this one off-topic.

I know our ST's biggest loser forum or whatever we called it didn't last, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

That Biggest Loser thread was neat; I wished it'd started before I'd lost my weight. I do think a healthy eating thread would be pretty cool - you should start it before I do. :D

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Time to sound silly...Benching with cinder blocks on the bar...does it add anything more than the 35 pounds they weigh? Not sure if the fact that they hang and wobble a little does anything.

weight is weight. unless the bar itself is wobbly then you're also working stabilizer muscles - though that's also mucho dangeroso

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
Time to sound silly...Benching with cinder blocks on the bar...does it add anything more than the 35 pounds they weigh? Not sure if the fact that they hang and wobble a little does anything.

Other than sounding incredibly dangerous, the wobbling and keeping it steady as you go up might help your stabilizers a little bit.

If you are going to lift, do yourself a favor and get a gym membership. Then you can lift and workout in a much safer and more controlled environment.

After finally having a bit more money later this month, I'm going to finally join a gym. In the few years since I've stopped growing "up" I've started to grow "out." It's not bad or anything (I'm about 6'2" 195) but I want to nip it in the bud.

So, here's my question: I want to just generally keep in shape; if anything specific maybe cut a little bit of my stomach fat down (little bit of a belly starting to form). Do y'all know any good websites where I can get a good sense of what to do when starting to work out from scratch? I worked out a bit in college, but I haven't had it in classes or anything since high school, and I forget all the basics.

I'm sure I'll be that person at the gym you all hate. :P

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:37 PM)
Are you prison?

nope I'm a broke sob who ran outta weights. I was just curious as it seemed more difficult but then again I haven't benched since before the holidays (actually have been focusing on cardio and doing some core exercises with a swiss ball). The blocks are in between 2 weights, they may swing a little but they're not gonna go anywhere

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
After finally having a bit more money later this month, I'm going to finally join a gym. In the few years since I've stopped growing "up" I've started to grow "out." It's not bad or anything (I'm about 6'2" 195) but I want to nip it in the bud.

So, here's my question: I want to just generally keep in shape; if anything specific maybe cut a little bit of my stomach fat down (little bit of a belly starting to form). Do y'all know any good websites where I can get a good sense of what to do when starting to work out from scratch? I worked out a bit in college, but I haven't had it in classes or anything since high school, and I forget all the basics.

We will only hate you if you stand around and do nothing.

bodybuilding.com

More specifically, http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Oh, and do cardio - if you're on a treadmill, always be on incline 2 or higher. Incline 2 is actually the same as being on planet Earth. Anything less is like you are just "hopping" with no resistance.

Oh, and basketball is fun.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
nope I'm a broke sob who ran outta weights. I was just curious as it seemed more difficult but then again I haven't benched since before the holidays (actually have been focusing on cardio and doing some core exercises with a swiss ball). The blocks are in between 2 weights, they may swing a little but they're not gonna go anywhere

Hmm. Can you do various push ups, pull ups, etc. while you save up for some proper weights from Craigslist or eBay? Fashioning weights from various items can get you hurt.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)

P90X!

;)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
Hmm. Can you do various push ups, pull ups, etc. while you save up for some proper weights from Craigslist or eBay? Fashioning weights from various items can get you hurt.

I can and have been doing pushups, no pull ups but I'm doing the p90x pull up replacement move with resistance bands.... I haven't read anything against using cinder blocks as weight as long as they're secure...

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/t...s-cinder-blocks

In addition to farmer’s walks, curls, and bench presses, here are three additional ways to put those blocks to use.

Once I start workin or tax return I'll be buying me some legit weights.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
I'm not saying you're wrong, but how so?

Due to the free hanging form of the weight itself, one slip and the weight itself can sway and hit you in the face, the arm, or other parts of the body on either the way up or down. When doing so, the least you'll end up with is a scratch and the most is probably deep contusions and/or open wounds and gashes from cinder blocks falling on your face and or arms. If you drop one side of it, the other arm can also be snapped in the opposite direction (if left cinder block falls, right arm snaps to the right), and such sudden, violent, and jerky motions can also lead to injury.

It just far, far, far safer to lift with regular weights, because honestly, lifting regular weights can be dangerous enough if you don't know what you're doing.

Steve wisely pointed out bodybuilding.com. Just ignore their supplement advice, they're trying to profit off of you. They think every weight program requires a good 100 bucks of products to make it work, but dont waste your money.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
Steve wisely pointed out bodybuilding.com. Just ignore their supplement advice, they're trying to profit off of you. They think every weight program requires a good 100 bucks of products to make it work, but dont waste your money.

at least.