*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)

agreed.

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_weller_co...your_heart.html

Our bodies get Vitamin D from the sun, but as dermatologist Richard Weller suggests, sunlight may confer another surprising benefit too. New research by his team shows that nitric oxide, a chemical transmitter stored in huge reserves in the skin, can be released by UV light, to great benefit for blood pressure and the cardiovascular system. What does it mean? Well, it might begin to explain why Scots get sick more than Australians ...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Fudge off mother fudger, it's 17 degrees today, I am going to continue to do my workouts in a controlled environment, thank you very much.

76 in NYC b****EZZZ

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
Anybody on here cycle? I'm looking to pick up a road bike and add cycling as low impact cross training to running. There's a bike shop near my house I'm going to check out tonight. Any thoughts?

Cycling is an enjoyable way to get around. What sort of thoughts are you looking for?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Cycling is an enjoyable way to get around. What sort of thoughts are you looking for?

What components are worth the extra money? What features/brands of bike should I avoid? What brands have people had good luck with? Good ideas for workouts beyond "ride as fast as you can from point A to point B."

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
Anybody on here cycle? I'm looking to pick up a road bike and add cycling as low impact cross training to running. There's a bike shop near my house I'm going to check out tonight. Any thoughts?

I bought a Trek road bike online about 5 years ago...most likely, you won't use it as much as you think you will, and you don't need all the tech they'll tell you you'll need...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)

Thought you were asking about a different kind of cycle at first.

Just started looking into buying a bicycle myself. I think assuming I like the feel of it this weekend going with the Trek 7.2 FX. It's a hybrid road bike so can sit up while riding but still can get it going pretty fast. I plan to use it mostly on bike trails and whatnot though, not as a mode as transportation.

Also don't buy it online before making sure you get fitted for the right size in a shop, that would be just a dumb thing to do you may regret.

Edited by GoodAsGould

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
I bought a Trek road bike online about 5 years ago...most likely, you won't use it as much as you think you will, and you don't need all the tech they'll tell you you'll need...

If you are serious get fitted.

I bought a trek 1.1 last summer and put on a few hundred miles. Make sure you like the saddle,and get padded shorts.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
Just started looking into buying a bicycle myself. I think assuming I like the feel of it this weekend going with the Trek 7.2 FX. It's a hybrid road bike so can sit up while riding but still can get it going pretty fast. I plan to use it mostly on bike trails and whatnot though, not as a mode as transportation.

Also don't buy it online before making sure you get fitted for the right size in a shop, that would be just a dumb thing to do you may regret.

I bought this one last spring. It's really sturdy, was always well reviewed, priced right, and I've ridden the hell out of it since. It's still as good as new.

http://www.diamondback.com/2012-edgewood

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
And here I thought I was in the hookers thread.

I bought this one last spring. It's really sturdy, was always well reviewed, priced right, and I've ridden the hell out of it since. It's still as good as new.

aileen_wuornos.jpg

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)

http://www.diamondback.com/2012-edgewood

If I don't like the Trek one I'll definitely check that one out. I do like the feel of a mountain bike more than a road bike but hard to keep up with everyone else with a mountain bike.

Edited by GoodAsGould

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
If I don't like the Trek one I'll definitely check that one out. I do like the feel of a mountain bike more than a road bike but hard to keep up with everyone else with a mountain bike.

It depends on what you plan on using the bike for. If you aren't planning on doing trails, or off-road biking, then getting a mountain bike is stupid. People do it because "it's the thing to do", not because they thought about their purchase and actually bought the right tool for job. It means you got pliers instead of a hammer when you need to nail something. Yes, the pliers can probably work, but not well for the job.

Mountain Bikes are for off-road/trails. Period. For on road biking they are complete s***, unless it's short distance, and then it doesn't really matter...as a huffy would suffice in that situation. ;)

If you plan on doing long distance/high speed biking, on road, get a road cruiser...you won't be sorry you did...and neither will your back.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
It depends on what you plan on using the bike for. If you aren't planning on doing trails, or off-road biking, then getting a mountain bike is stupid. People do it because "it's the thing to do", not because they thought about their purchase and actually bought the right tool for job. It means you got pliers instead of a hammer when you need to nail something. Yes, the pliers can probably work, but not well for the job.

Mountain Bikes are for off-road/trails. Period. For on road biking they are complete s***, unless it's short distance, and then it doesn't really matter...as a huffy would suffice in that situation. ;)

If you plan on doing long distance/high speed biking, on road, get a road cruiser...you won't be sorry you did...and neither will your back.

I'm a huge fan of the hybrid.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
I'm a huge fan of the hybrid.

Those are good too, but they're one of those jack of all trades types of things. Not quite as good as a true mountain bike for off-roading, and not quite as good as a true road cruiser for on-road distance, but very good. They are a good alternative if you plan to dabble with both, though, and can be a good idea versus needing two bikes.

I have a Trek 6500 hardtail, 15.5" frame, hydraulic disc breaks, skinnier back tire/fatter front tire configuration, schwalbe tires, but the bike is pretty much only for off-road trails. It pretty much blows for long distance. I can use it for that, but no thanks. ;)

I should actually just sell it, I don't use it anymore.

I used bikesdirect.com to get my bike.

It tends to be cheaper as far as the parts go, but you run some risks. You need to know your size before you buy, and you have to assume it is correct on the website.

You also have to assemble it yourself.

I bought one, assembled it myself, and then brought it to a shop for a tuneup to make sure everything was done correctly. It probably saved a few hundred.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
Ok, so once again, battling ropes. They're typically 2" in diameter polypropylene or manilla ropes and they don't go for cheap. My question to you guys is, I can still get some of the same benefits from a 12 dollar 1/2" polypropylene rope correct? At least 12 dollars worth of benefits right? lol

I don't know...when it comes to almost anything that isn't "artisinal" and then overpriced merely for the sake of being overpriced, I tend to believe you get what you pay for.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
If you are serious get fitted.

I bought a trek 1.1 last summer and put on a few hundred miles. Make sure you like the saddle,and get padded shorts.

I bought a new saddle...really like it...need to get those shorts though...the main thing that kept me off it was the pain in my ass (literally) and almost getting run over by Las Vegas cabs on the Strip...