*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started using this iPhone app called "Lose It" just after New Years. Calculates your goals and weight and says how many calories you are allowed a day. You log everything you eat and your workouts. It has worked great for me and toning up. Lost 15 lbs since New Years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
It really started to worry me when I started taking pills as a 26 year old that when I opened them up, had pictures of senior citizens in the package.

I would do as much research into holistic remedies as possible...eat foods that are good sources of omegas, rather than just popping the pills. Look into exercises and activities that improve your joints, or else you're probably just stuck with staying away from those that are tough on joints.

I started to do some of the exercises for that Spartacus workout on Sunday night and I'm still sore from it in my legs. I didn't do the minute on 15 second break thing yet. Part of it was probably not knowing what weights do use and how many reps to "try" but I think it worked some muscles I didn't know I had.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
I started to do some of the exercises for that Spartacus workout on Sunday night and I'm still sore from it in my legs. I didn't do the minute on 15 second break thing yet. Part of it was probably not knowing what weights do use and how many reps to "try" but I think it worked some muscles I didn't know I had.

That was one of the biggest things I noticed when I started seriously working out. We were doing some squats and I told him that my back hurt, but it wasn't my lower back, and it wasn't a sharp pain. We basically surmised that there were some muscles in my middle back that I had never worked out as hard as I ever have before (likely from doing bent over rows).

I've also never done my groin before, but did some leg adductions and holy crap is that an experience. I've never had a strong groin before so I started easy, and through working it out 4 times (I will work it again tomorrow) it just feels much better. I have to remember to stretch it the next day or it gets a little too tight, but it just generally feels much stronger and it's actually helped me get through a lot of my other leg workouts as well as making running easier.

(I set myself up about 4 different times in that last paragraph)

(from the relationship thread, really didn't fit there)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Thanks Wite, good luck. Being single is great, you do whatever you want to do, all the time. Work on yourself and everything will be great. The best thing about this is your workout program will probably be stellar.

Oh the workout program is f***ing awesome. Just started week 6 of 12 of our program today, and there have been tremendous increases physically as well as visually already. I'm just ridiculously exhausted after every workout but I always feel great right afterwards. And I can tell that my fat percentage is down by a ton too because where I used to have a double chin (for a 5'10 150 pound guy), it's now only one and a half chins.

After this, we are going to do with P90X or the Spartacus Workout for a while, not sure which. We did decide that we are atleast going to do the Ab Ripper X workout on our offday, which is usually Wednesday. We normally go in still, but our workout is very minimal, just hitting areas that we don't really workout otherwise - calves, back extensions, and hip adduction and abductions. So instead of that, we are just taking those 4 and adding one to each of the other days and we'll hit abs hard on Wednesday, while also doing some other type of minor ab exercise on Monday and Friday.

Seriously, I never realized how awesome working out is. Maybe not the working out itself, because that can be a bit of a b****, but you just physically feel so much better.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
So on January 10, I decided to dedicate myself to getting in shape for the first time since sophomore year of college. I weighed in at 211.7 lbs. This morning I weighed in at 189.6. My goal weight was originally 185, but i think I might shoot for 180 with a lot of muscle.

This has been painful, yet fun.

I did pretty much the exact same thing. Even down to the sophomore of college thing. Went from 214 to 184 in about 2 and half months but have stalled and become lazy since. Really need to rededicate to get under 180.

anyone else try that deer antler velvet HGH stuff that ray lewis got caught using? ive been using it for a couple weeks and it seems to be doing wonders for my workouts. i could lift a ton one day and not be that sore the next day. Yeah HGH is cheating but hey my goal is to arm wrestle (And Defeat) T R U by the end of the year..

So I'm going to draw up a March Workout of the Month while on my flight to Toronto today. I will add that I am NOT a personal trainer, however I will take bits and pieces of things I do at my gym and put them together in what I think can be a great cardio and strength workout in less than an hour at a small gym or home.

Please dont flame me.

Also, here is a link to my gym's youtube page so you can get a sample of what we do daily:

http://www.youtube.com/user/goperformance -main company

http://www.youtube.com/user/goperformancechicago my actual gym

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
Ab Ripper X is awesome

It's amazing, everything in p90x became so much easier for me than when I started, the ab ripper continues to be damn hard. I can finish it but it's not very easy like the other workouts in the program have become.

I'm just kind of doing it as a supplemental workout right now because doing the entire P90X along with our other workout would be absolute murder. Still, I don't think my abs have been that sore since freshman year of high school, and that was an hour long ab workout.

Ran 3 miles today in 25:52. I haven't run for distance since high school (preseason lacrosse stuff), so I started running a month ago in preparation for a 5k on April 3. I feel pretty good having a month until the race, and I can already do 3 miles in under 26 minutes. Next step: running the actual path the 5k will follow. It's feasible, though I'll have to make a few small route changes due to traffic.

So we were doing some calf exercises on Thursday and I overdid it. They were sore yesterday but didn't notice anything significant, but the pain is damn near crippling today. I can't really walk, can't really stand, (I think) there is a little bruising, and it feels really tight (and obviously painful). My right calf is a little more sore than my left, but I would say on a pain threshold scale, it's about an 8 for my right and a 7 for my left.

I've had sore calves from working them out before, but this feels worse. I'm assuming right now that I just strained them a bit and that within a couple days I'll be walking better, but if it doesn't improve quite a bit before Monday, I'm going to have to go in and see a doctor.

My main concern is, what should I be doing in the meantime? I have them elevated right now, trying to stay off of them as much as I can, and I took a warm bath to try and loosen them up a bit (and it worked a little, but they tightened up pretty quickly). I've seen that some like wrapping and icing them too.