*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
I bought a new saddle...really like it...need to get those shorts though...the main thing that kept me off it was the pain in my ass (literally) and almost getting run over by Las Vegas cabs on the Strip...

It also helps wick the moisture away from your thighs so you have less chafing. Very valuable. Just remember to hand wash them as well.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
At the gym today, LA Fitness. Saw 2 kids, maybe between the ages of 17-21, standing shirtless in front of the mirror in the locker room popping zits on each others backs.

sweet jesus.

[background: I know virtually nothing about weight training]

I'd like to start doing more weight training at the gym (currently I mess around on random machines a bit). I've been reading a lot of really good things about squats, but my gym doesn't have a squat rack, only that Smith Machine that I've been reading a lot of really bad things about.

What are some other things I can do that would be good? Front squats?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
[background: I know virtually nothing about weight training]

I'd like to start doing more weight training at the gym (currently I mess around on random machines a bit). I've been reading a lot of really good things about squats, but my gym doesn't have a squat rack, only that Smith Machine that I've been reading a lot of really bad things about.

What are some other things I can do that would be good? Front squats?

Can I ask what your goals are? Seems to me like the only thing you're interested in is leg exercises?

As with any weight training, don't take this advice lightly as most people do: learn to do the exercises properly, or they're dangerous and over time, will wear and tear you into a hobbled middle-aged man. You won't be young forever.

The bad habits you form from the beginning of weight lifting will be hard to break. Do some free online research on proper form/movements, I cannot stress this enough. The majority of people you see in a gym have no idea what they're doing, but they're always quick to give advice on how to lift.

Proper form is FAR more important than how many plates yo' ass can drop. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Can I ask what your goals are? Seems to me like the only thing you're interested in is leg exercises?

As with any weight training, don't take this advice lightly as most people do: learn to do the exercises properly, or they're dangerous and over time, will wear and tear you into a hobbled middle-aged man. You won't be young forever.

The bad habits you form from the beginning of weight lifting will be hard to break. Do some free online research on proper form/movements, I cannot stress this enough. The majority of people you see in a gym have no idea what they're doing, but they're always quick to give advice on how to lift.

Proper form is FAR more important than how many plates yo' ass can drop. ;)

My goal is general improved fitness/strength.

So the wife and I took a couple we know out on a bike ride yesterday. They aren't like huge or anything, just somewhat out of shape. We did our usual 20-miler - Prairie Path to Great Western Trail and back - seriously exactly 20 miles from our driveway.

Holy crap, it's insane how out of shape people really are - given she and I are so active, the bike ride is seriously nothing. A ride that normally takes us an hour and forty minutes took two hours and fifty five minutes. They had to stop tons of times. My buddy had to walk the bike part of the way. His legs were dead. They were both completely f***ed after this effortless ride.

It's nuts.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
So the wife and I took a couple we know out on a bike ride yesterday. They aren't like huge or anything, just somewhat out of shape. We did our usual 20-miler - Prairie Path to Great Western Trail and back - seriously exactly 20 miles from our driveway.

Holy crap, it's insane how out of shape people really are - given she and I are so active, the bike ride is seriously nothing. A ride that normally takes us an hour and forty minutes took two hours and fifty five minutes. They had to stop tons of times. My buddy had to walk the bike part of the way. His legs were dead. They were both completely f***ed after this effortless ride.

It's nuts.

good ole America... had a gig out in Dayton OH this weekend... yikes.

It's nuts.

It's good that they recognize this and are getting out to get back into shape. It's dumb that they thought they'd be able to keep up with someone over a 20 mile bike ride. That's the same as me saying I'd be able to keep up with someone over a 5 mile run.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
It's good that they recognize this and are getting out to get back into shape. It's dumb that they thought they'd be able to keep up with someone over a 20 mile bike ride. That's the same as me saying I'd be able to keep up with someone over a 5 mile run.

We just didn't even think twice. To his credit, I was just emailing with my buddy and he said it was eye-opening and they want to do 10 miles with us next weekend.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
We just didn't even think twice. To his credit, I was just emailing with my buddy and he said it was eye-opening and they want to do 10 miles with us next weekend.

That's a much better number and will be easier for them due to a shorter distance and the fact that they will be in better shape, even if only slightly.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 05:24 PM)
At the gym today, LA Fitness. Saw 2 kids, maybe between the ages of 17-21, standing shirtless in front of the mirror in the locker room popping zits on each others backs.

Reading this, I just threw up a bit in my mouth. Had I seen this live and in person, my shoes would be coated.

It's nuts.

Thats great you did that. You are lucky to be near the prairie path. I have to take the f***ing EL out there.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
Took long enough to get back, but I was finally able to free weight barbell bench 225lbs again today! Yay! That was a long road back and should teach me to never get lazy again!

I may have missed you post it elsewhere, but how long have you been working to get back to that?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
I may have missed you post it elsewhere, but how long have you been working to get back to that?

Eh, a few months I guess, but I don't know if I was specifically working to get back there as a goal or I'm sure I would have tried it a while ago now. I never have a spotter, so I tend to not push it on barbells much...today I had a spotter and tried it out, though, and was able to do it. I just assumed I couldn't before I tried.

It's nuts.

20 miles is a lot for your first bike ride, I'm not in great shape by any means but with mine half of that I was definitely feeling it at the end, probably could of done another 5 or so miles but would probably of needed a break to get those last 5 in without a doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I had the same thought.

Reading above, what kind of bikes do you guys have? I've been trying to get my wife and I outside and more active. We used to jog after work, but with a ~1 year old it's sort of a pain to keep that up. I've been thinking of grabbing us some bikes so that we can go do some trails once or twice a week. Any suggestions?