*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Yeah I had the same thought.

Reading above, what kind of bikes do you guys have? I've been trying to get my wife and I outside and more active. We used to jog after work, but with a ~1 year old it's sort of a pain to keep that up. I've been thinking of grabbing us some bikes so that we can go do some trails once or twice a week. Any suggestions?

Diamondbacks. Very pleased. The wife has a female small and i have a male large.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Yeah I had the same thought.

Reading above, what kind of bikes do you guys have? I've been trying to get my wife and I outside and more active. We used to jog after work, but with a ~1 year old it's sort of a pain to keep that up. I've been thinking of grabbing us some bikes so that we can go do some trails once or twice a week. Any suggestions?

I have two.

A Trek 1.1 road bike ($700)

And I just bought an older Trek 8000 used bike from workingbikes.org a 501c3 charity that rebuilds bikes. ($220)

I use the used bike for riding the streets of Chicago, it has city kevlar wheels and is a better riding position. My wife got a nice specialized for about 200 bucks as well the same day. Its all tax deductible.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
So the wife and I took a couple we know out on a bike ride yesterday. They aren't like huge or anything, just somewhat out of shape. We did our usual 20-miler - Prairie Path to Great Western Trail and back - seriously exactly 20 miles from our driveway.

Holy crap, it's insane how out of shape people really are - given she and I are so active, the bike ride is seriously nothing. A ride that normally takes us an hour and forty minutes took two hours and fifty five minutes. They had to stop tons of times. My buddy had to walk the bike part of the way. His legs were dead. They were both completely f***ed after this effortless ride.

It's nuts.

I don't think people realize how hard biking is. When I first started getting back into shape a few years ago, I was running all the time and my cardio was decent for that, tried some biking and crapped out real quick. Not as easy as it looks.

Speaking of tough cardio, the stairmaster has become my new love/hate relationship. I hop on that thing for 20 minutes every Wednesday and am just dying when I'm done, great work out.

Anywho, I've really stepped up the intensity of my work outs the last 3 weeks, just been killing it in the weight room. Gotta keep it up.

So, I started rollerblading again, practicing playing roller hockey, something I haven't done in a decade, and I picked it up pretty quickly again. Not sure where my confidence level would be in an actual game, but it's added a huge amount of cardio to my life, which I've always found boring. This removes that boredom, and now I'm getting cardio + weight training. I've shed like 10lbs in the last month, with no dietary changes. IE, I still eat ice cream, portillos, etc. :P

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 24, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
So, I started rollerblading again, practicing playing roller hockey, something I haven't done in a decade, and I picked it up pretty quickly again. Not sure where my confidence level would be in an actual game, but it's added a huge amount of cardio to my life, which I've always found boring. This removes that boredom, and now I'm getting cardio + weight training. I've shed like 10lbs in the last month, with no dietary changes. IE, I still eat ice cream, portillos, etc. :P

LAWDDD

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 24, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)

Man, I miss roller hockey. Besides basketball, it was definitely my favorite sport to play.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 24, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
Man, I miss roller hockey. Besides basketball, it was definitely my favorite sport to play.

I play rat for the first time tomorrow. Last time I played I was at gold league level, so it'll be humbling to get rocked by bronze leaguers, even if its only rat. :)

Played some 3 on 3 (one on the bench for each team), and after the initial nervousness passed after such a long break in playing it all came back pretty fast. Ended up with 1 goal and 2 assists. And I can feel how sore I'm going to be tomorrow. But it feels good.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 25, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
Played some 3 on 3 (one on the bench for each team), and after the initial nervousness passed after such a long break in playing it all came back pretty fast. Ended up with 1 goal and 2 assists. And I can feel how sore I'm going to be tomorrow. But it feels good.

1 goal? Was the last time you played with Naismith? :D

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 25, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)

Beat anybody up?

On a side note, I just got done destroying legs today and following that up by treating myself to a steak bowl from Chipotle which actually fits in nicely with my weekly meal plan.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 25, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Beat anybody up?

On a side note, I just got done destroying legs today and following that up by treating myself to a steak bowl from Chipotle which actually fits in nicely with my weekly meal plan.

I did hook one guy pretty good, but it was half an accident. ;)

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 08:06 AM)
What's to be insecure about?

It's Yoga.

I'd never do Yoga anywhere but in private for the same reason he feels insecure about it. It has a reputation for being "for chicks", whether people like it or not. I know it's silly to feel this way, but it's how I (and apparently he) feel. It's not something you can just decide to not feel.

Look at almost any Yoga class, it will be 90+% women, if not absolutely 100%.

It wouldn't be the feminine part that makes me embarrassed. It would be the part where I'm horribly inept at it. I don't think I'd have a problem doing it in public if I was able to look like I knew what I was doing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
It wouldn't be the feminine part that makes me embarrassed. It would be the part where I'm horribly inept at it. I don't think I'd have a problem doing it in public if I was able to look like I knew what I was doing.

It's definitely the feminine part for me.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)

When I was living with my ex 3 years ago, this is exactly what happened to me. I did Yoga with her and got absolutely punked trying to do some of the stretches.