*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
When I was living with my ex 3 years ago, this is exactly what happened to me. I did Yoga with her and got absolutely punked trying to do some of the stretches.

I go to a yoga class specifically geared toward men. It's pretty great because we are all runners/cyclists who are terribly inflexible. I'm sure someone watching our class would get a lot of enjoyment out of the ineptitude. So, I guess my point in this is that, if you are self-concious about your flexibility, you might want to see if there are any male only classes available and geared toward beginners.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
It wouldn't be the feminine part that makes me embarrassed. It would be the part where I'm horribly inept at it. I don't think I'd have a problem doing it in public if I was able to look like I knew what I was doing.

This. The same reason I don't dance. I know I'll look odd doing it.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
so out of curiosity, what's feminine about yoga?

Nothing in particular, it's just a stereotype from the main crowd that tends to do it, which is usually white women.

What's so "white" about the Chicago Cubs, other than the fact that 99.9% of the people that attend Cubs games are white people? Nothing...but if you go there, you'd see what I mean. :)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Nothing in particular, it's just a stereotype from the main crowd that tends to do it, which is usually white women.

What's so "white" about the Chicago Cubs, other than the fact that 99.9% of the people that attend Cubs games are white people? Nothing...but if you go there, you'd see what I mean. :)

color me crazy, but a bunch of thin women in yoga pants sounds.... awesome... to me....

but hey we could have different tastes. ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
color me crazy, but a bunch of thin women in yoga pants sounds.... awesome... to me....

but hey we could have different tastes. ;)

I never said anything about not liking that aspect of *watching* it, but doing it is another thing altogether.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
I never said anything about not liking that aspect of *watching* it, but doing it is another thing altogether.

i know we've had this discussion before... but women don't think a man who does yoga is less manly... just... so you know.

in fact it's quite the opposite

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
i know we've had this discussion before... but women don't think a man who does yoga is less manly... just... so you know.

in fact it's quite the opposite

Women say a lot of crap out loud, but most of them don't actually mean it. Otherwise, they wouldn't keep dating the jerks whilst telling the nerdy friend they should date someone more like him...only they never do.

So, not really quite the opposite, just something they're telling you to make you feel better, while they go date the jerky jock...that doesn't do Yoga.

Like most things, it depends. Some women will (perhaps subconsciously) be turned off because you're doing yoga. If that's the case and you like doing yoga, those women probably aren't for you anyway and therefore you have missed out on nothing. Either way, first impressions don't last forever anyway. I'm sure we all can think of people who had us pegged completely wrong and vice versa.

Disregarding the potential for looking at woman-ass/looking like a woman-ass, I still would be hesitant to do it until I'm more flexible. Something like illinilaw's class where I won't be the only inflexible dork wouldn't be so bad. I'm becoming a runner so increasing my flexibility would be immensely helpful

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
Women say a lot of crap out loud, but most of them don't actually mean it. Otherwise, they wouldn't keep dating the jerks whilst telling the nerdy friend they should date someone more like him...only they never do.

So, not really quite the opposite, just something they're telling you to make you feel better, while they go date the jerky jock...that doesn't do Yoga.

Women date the jerks and marry the nerds. Just an FYI.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
Like most things, it depends. Some women will (perhaps subconsciously) be turned off because you're doing yoga. If that's the case and you like doing yoga, those women probably aren't for you anyway and therefore you have missed out on nothing. Either way, first impressions don't last forever anyway. I'm sure we all can think of people who had us pegged completely wrong and vice versa.

Disregarding the potential for looking at woman-ass/looking like a woman-ass, I still would be hesitant to do it until I'm more flexible. Something like illinilaw's class where I won't be the only inflexible dork wouldn't be so bad. I'm becoming a runner so increasing my flexibility would be immensely helpful

the women DOING the yoga will not be turned off, and personally, those are the women I'd rather be with anyways.

flexible.

:)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
STOP F***ING TEXTING WHEN YOU'RE ON THE D*** WEIGHT MACHINE

Sorry. Just had to say that again.

There are a ton of retired people at my club who treat it like social time. Always standing in the way talking or just sitting on machines talking. So annoying

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing the C25K and just finished Week 7 day one. I am planning on running my first 5K on August 4th and coincidentally it's called "The Biggest Loser 5K".

So I've changed my diet around after seeing this documentary about all the shiznit in people's food and I've basically gone fruits, vegetables, and products with natural ingredients. For whatever reason, I'm craving the junk food like mad. I'm resisting of course but I was just wondering if other people who work out have the urges to tear up some junk food?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
I've been doing the C25K and just finished Week 7 day one. I am planning on running my first 5K on August 4th and coincidentally it's called "The Biggest Loser 5K".

So I've changed my diet around after seeing this documentary about all the shiznit in people's food and I've basically gone fruits, vegetables, and products with natural ingredients. For whatever reason, I'm craving the junk food like mad. I'm resisting of course but I was just wondering if other people who work out have the urges to tear up some junk food?

Of course...it's what you've been eating for most of your life and now you've stopped eating it. You need to treat yourself to some good stuff once in awhile or you'll go nuts. The world will not end if you go have ice cream or cheetos one night. Just make sure you get back on the saddle the next day with the healthy stuff.

Congrats, btw....keep it up!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Of course...it's what you've been eating for most of your life and now you've stopped eating it. You need to treat yourself to some good stuff once in awhile or you'll go nuts. The world will not end if you go have ice cream or cheetos one night. Just make sure you get back on the saddle the next day with the healthy stuff.

Congrats, btw....keep it up!

Thanks brother.

Yeah I know but part of me feels like I owe to my body to not eat that s*** anymore since I've been doing it for so long. I feel so much better to. I'm eating bananas and greek yogurt in rage at my desk right now.

Save yourself a cheat day. A popular choice is Saturday so then you can be good all week and get all the evil out at once. I generally try to eat healthy during the week and then do all my binging (drinking, eating, lazy, video games) on Saturday as much as possible.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
Thanks brother.

Yeah I know but part of me feels like I owe to my body to not eat that s*** anymore since I've been doing it for so long. I feel so much better to. I'm eating bananas and greek yogurt in rage at my desk right now.

You'll break down one night and eat like two bags of Oreo Double Stuffs!

Working in some of your favorite foods is good for the mind. A few things to think about:

-when you work them in, if you can, just make it an allotted part of your daily intake. Even if you normally don't count calories, think about how big that snack was and if you can salvage your day's intake by behaving the rest of the day. If you know you're going to have a big dinner out with friends, try to really cut back on your intake earlier in the day. Have man's lightest salad for lunch.

-Try not to do too much back and forth between "perfect" eating and binging. A lot of people that get ambitious about dieting get a very unhealthy relationship with food where they can't stop once they let the floodgates open on cheat foods. It's not good for you and it can easily lead to an eating disorder. I've been there.

-This was/is the hardest thing for me, but learn to distinguish hunger from cravings. You're dealing with cravings and understandably so. They aren't evil in and of themselves. However, you need to be able to form a habit of (usually) ignoring your cravings and instead waiting for hunger. There is research that shows people that eat when they are hungry and only when they are hungry have better physique outcomes than people who are on strict, counting-based regimens. The reason "just eat when you're hungry" sounds crazy is because if you're anything like me, we begin to interpret our cravings as hunger...and cravings happen a lot!

(Mentally) healthy dieting is balancing act. If you've ever been fat, your body's signaling systems are virtually permanently rewired to make you want to get fat again. Your emotional desire to lose weight can lead your good intentions to turn into perpetual unhappiness or eating disorders. Try to take it seriously...without taking it too seriously :)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Working in some of your favorite foods is good for the mind. A few things to think about:

-when you work them in, if you can, just make it an allotted part of your daily intake. Even if you normally don't count calories, think about how big that snack was and if you can salvage your day's intake by behaving the rest of the day. If you know you're going to have a big dinner out with friends, try to really cut back on your intake earlier in the day. Have man's lightest salad for lunch.

-Try not to do too much back and forth between "perfect" eating and binging. A lot of people that get ambitious about dieting get a very unhealthy relationship with food where they can't stop once they let the floodgates open on cheat foods. It's not good for you and it can easily lead to an eating disorder. I've been there.

-This was/is the hardest thing for me, but learn to distinguish hunger from cravings. You're dealing with cravings and understandably so. They aren't evil in and of themselves. However, you need to be able to form a habit of (usually) ignoring your cravings and instead waiting for hunger. There is research that shows people that eat when they are hungry and only when they are hungry have better physique outcomes than people who are on strict, counting-based regimens. The reason "just eat when you're hungry" sounds crazy is because if you're anything like me, we begin to interpret our cravings as hunger...and cravings happen a lot!

(Mentally) healthy dieting is balancing act. If you've ever been fat, your body's signaling systems are virtually permanently rewired to make you want to get fat again. Your emotional desire to lose weight can lead your good intentions to turn into perpetual unhappiness or eating disorders. Try to take it seriously...without taking it too seriously :)

A lot of this, as you alluded too in your post, comes from knowing your own body, how it reacts, to what, how much of it, and what you can/can't get away with in terms of diet.

By and large, if people followed my diet, they'd probably get fat. While I'm pretty balanced, and try to eat healthy more often than not, I'm also a junker in that there is nothing off limits to me, on any day of the week. I'll usually eat ice cream 3-4 days a week, drink beer, etc. But so long as I'm active, it seems to counteract any of these "habits", and now that I've been playing rat hockey for 3+ hours every Saturday, not to mention practicing during the week (in addition to going to the gym), I've gotten to the point that I really don't care what I'm eating anymore. In short, I'm so active that I can get away with multiple "cheat days". Also, just because I have something, doesn't mean I'll eat it. I've had a Whatchamacallit bar on my desk here for 2 weeks now, and I've felt no need to eat it. And f*** off if you don't like Whatchamacallits, they're an awesome forgotten candy bar. ;)

My advice, first and foremost, even before diet -- is be active. If you're already active, be more active. ;) After you're doing that, THEN worry about what you're eating. Some of the most out of shape people I know eat 50x better than me, and the lesson is, both diet and being active matter.

Also...there is this. Avoid diet drinks and fake sugars at all costs. If you're going to eat things like candy, ice cream, etc...do it right, and do it real. These chemical compounds that form fake sugars screw your your bodies ability to regulate REAL sugars, they mess with your insulin production, etc...always remember, fat people drink diet. ;)

Edited by Y2HH