*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)
Has anyone punched through the weight loss plateau before? I started this diet on Jan 3rd. I'm eating good, healthy foods, about 1500-1600 calories a day. I end up walking 2-3 miles a day commuting/walking around my office, but otherwise no real exercise other than an occasional elliptical session or walking a golf course.

So far i'm down 22-23 lbs, which is great. But for about 2-2.5 weeks now i've been right at 222. Maybe a pound difference in that time span. I figure my metabolism has dropped and my body is used to the 1500-1600 calories it gets. I guess I should start exercising more regularly? Does the plateau eventually go away? If I keep doing the same thing am I just maintaining my current weight?

I'd up your calorie intake for a bit. 1500 a day at 222 is ridiculously low so your metabolism is probably all out of whack at the moment.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)
I'd up your calorie intake for a bit. 1500 a day at 222 is ridiculously low so your metabolism is probably all out of whack at the moment.

Yea, I agree completely.

I'm 5'7" ~157lbs and I easily take in 2500 a day.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 02:04 AM)
In August, I was at 212 lbs (I'm 6'6).

Last month, I weighed in at 189. Stress/work/breakup made me lose months of hard work in the blink of an eye. So now I'm back at it trying to get to 215.

Weighed in this morning. Gained 3 pounds this month, up to 196.0. 19 to go.

I eat a lot of food....

- Breakfast: 3 eggs (scrambled), wheat bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon, banana

- Snack (after my workout): Protein shake, Chocolate/Peanut Butter Clif Bar

- Lunch: 2 big Salisbury steaks

- Snack 2: Apple with peanut butter

- Dinner: Chicken alfredo pasta

- Dessert: Greek yogurt with chia coconut granola, flax seed, honey and fruit

Don't know if this really belongs in this thread, but I'm hoping this summer to do a lot of bicycling and if it makes sense kayaking. Hard for me to commit to gym and like being outdoors, does anyone know of places to go kayaking that isn't too terribly far from northwest suburbs and decent rates?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
Anybody on here a trail runner? I'd always run the occasional trail at state parks in the Midwest, but now that I have mountains within 45 minutes of my house, it seems like a natural progression.

Any thoughts/tips/ideas on getting started?

Yes, here is a thought/tip -- carry bear spray and pay attention. Mountain jogging can be dangerous because dangerous animals tend to live in the mountains.

If you listen to music while you run, consider turning it down so you can hear your surroundings a bit.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Yes, here is a thought/tip -- carry bear spray and pay attention. Mountain jogging can be dangerous because dangerous animals tend to live in the mountains.

If you listen to music while you run, consider turning it down so you can hear your surroundings a bit.

No bears out here (Denver). Elk are probably the most dangerous animal I'll run into unless I push much deeper into the mountains. But I've been hiking forever, so that other stuff is standard practice (I've never carried bear spray and been pretty close - like within 30 feet - to grizzlies backpacking in Montana).

No music when I run outside (99% of the time). I was asking more along the lines of gear - picking trail shoes, hydration systems, that kind of thing.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
No bears out here (Denver). Elk are probably the most dangerous animal I'll run into unless I push much deeper into the mountains. But I've been hiking forever, so that other stuff is standard practice (I've never carried bear spray and been pretty close - like within 30 feet - to grizzlies backpacking in Montana).

No music when I run outside (99% of the time). I was asking more along the lines of gear - picking trail shoes, hydration systems, that kind of thing.

In terms of shoes, go get specifically measured and fitted at a local running store. Then you can either buy them there (if you want to support local businesses) or buy them online cheaper (at Amazon.com, RunningWarehouse.com, SierraTradingPost.com, etc.) I go the cheaper route, well because I am cheap.

Hydration packs depend on your goals. If you want it primarily for hiking, then you get a bigger one with more compartments. If you want it primarily for running, get a lighter one that will not be as cumbersome when running the trails.

Gear is kind of overrated, but the most important piece of gears for trail running are: shoes, socks and depending on when you are going to be running, lights/reflectors.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 10:43 PM)

I might try that. I have cheat days built in, usually on a friday/saturday, when i eat like 2000. For a while I thought that did the trick of regulating my metabolism, but apparently not. I did drop a lb the last few days after being more strict than I was the last couple of weeks, so maybe i've been cheating more than I thought during the day.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
I might try that. I have cheat days built in, usually on a friday/saturday, when i eat like 2000. For a while I thought that did the trick of regulating my metabolism, but apparently not. I did drop a lb the last few days after being more strict than I was the last couple of weeks, so maybe i've been cheating more than I thought during the day.

2000 is still really low for your weight. Like I said, definitely up your intake but do it slowly since your metabolism is probably a bit out of whack. Add 300 or so to begin and go from there.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)

You in Denver? I go there all the time, I love the versatility of kayaking etc.

For a good workout:

http://www.cospringstrails.com/hikes/incline.html

KILLER

Edit, its got nothing on the Grouse Grind in Vancouver though.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
So... back spasms and sciatic nerve issues. How long after an episode do you wait before hitting the gym again?

Been there. Do you have a foam roller? There are things you can do on those for the sciatic nerve. I do them all the time before I play basketball when I stretch.

I'm still having some problems where I need to go to a chiro to get my neck checked out but I'm honestly kind of scared to.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Anyone ever do Body Beast and if so can you give a review?

My buddy did it last year and said he absolutely loved it. 90 day program focused on bulking up. Considering looking into it myself.

• 1 year later...

Doing my first week of Body Beast and wow is it killing me! I've done P90X, P90X2, and P90X3 for the last 5 years and it's gotten pretty routine and stale for me. This is quite the nice change of pace so far.

EDIT: I see it's already being talked about. I've had 2 friends do and they absolutely love it. Both of them have gained a lot of muscle mass and look extremely successful from this. Plus it's not very expensive either.

Edited by WilliamTell

Thanks for bumping the this...was just thinking about this last night.

I've never tried body beast, nor do I think it would be particularly ideal for me, as I don't add muscle mass particularly easily. I've got more of a swimmer's type of body.

Over the course of the last year though, through the combination of several different events (child, major remodel, major project at work, etc), I haven't been setting aside the proper time to keep up with my workouts. As a result, I started getting a little sloppy and lazy. Decided enough was enough a few weeks ago and got back on the wagon.

I've also done P90X, 2 and 3 over the course of the last 5 years, but 2 has always been my favorite. So I jumped back into 2, and the workouts I enjoy from that series (core, plyometrics, and total body), but I've also mixed in some of the original P90X stuff just to keep things interesting (cardio X and kenpo X). This allows me to cover 6 or 7 days a week without dealing with yoga too much or repeating things too often.

I've found that it took me a little longer to snap back into shape than it usually does after a bit of a break. Not sure if that is because of my age (39) or the length of my sabbatical (probably almost a year), but after a few weeks, things are starting to fall back in line (muscle is coming back, routines are getting easier, weight is coming off).

Hoping to keep this pace for another month or so and then ease back a bit into 3-4 days a week.

I have found though, that working out immediately after work definitely helps me deal with the bs from work much better. Instead of cracking a beer and whining to my wife about things it just seems to roll off my back as a result of the workouts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 07:00 AM)
Thanks for bumping the this...was just thinking about this last night.

I've never tried body beast, nor do I think it would be particularly ideal for me, as I don't add muscle mass particularly easily. I've got more of a swimmer's type of body.

Over the course of the last year though, through the combination of several different events (child, major remodel, major project at work, etc), I haven't been setting aside the proper time to keep up with my workouts. As a result, I started getting a little sloppy and lazy. Decided enough was enough a few weeks ago and got back on the wagon.

I've also done P90X, 2 and 3 over the course of the last 5 years, but 2 has always been my favorite. So I jumped back into 2, and the workouts I enjoy from that series (core, plyometrics, and total body), but I've also mixed in some of the original P90X stuff just to keep things interesting (cardio X and kenpo X). This allows me to cover 6 or 7 days a week without dealing with yoga too much or repeating things too often.

I've found that it took me a little longer to snap back into shape than it usually does after a bit of a break. Not sure if that is because of my age (39) or the length of my sabbatical (probably almost a year), but after a few weeks, things are starting to fall back in line (muscle is coming back, routines are getting easier, weight is coming off).

Hoping to keep this pace for another month or so and then ease back a bit into 3-4 days a week.

I have found though, that working out immediately after work definitely helps me deal with the bs from work much better. Instead of cracking a beer and whining to my wife about things it just seems to roll off my back as a result of the workouts.

You're almost describing me to a T. Having kids sure does cramp your workout routine. I've also been in the middle of home remodel.

I'm up to 209 pounds when I prefer to be around 195. Hopefully Body Beast can help motivate me to reaching my goal of at least losing some excess fat. Part of my problem has been poor eating. When I'm around someone who doesn't try to eat healthy, just eats what she wants, sometimes I gethink sucked into that habit also. Plus I'm now 30 and my metabolism isn't what it was at 20. I just need to eat healthier and definitely monitor my snacks.

I also prefer P90X the most. Core, Plyo, and Total Body are also my 3 favorite exercises.

I've been slacking off lately. A,little down because I can't find a job and eating like crap. Only been going to gym 3 times a week.

Feel like moving to Arizona in a couple of weeks will make me feel better and motivate me.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 15, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
What sort of equipment do you need to do that one? I'm about halfway through T-25 and I'll be looking for something to add weight again when I'm done.

Quite the array of weights definitely helps. From 10 pound arm weights to 50 pounds or more. Having an EZ bar, a bench or stability ball also. Pull up bar or resistance bands too.

Edited by WilliamTell

• 8 months later...