*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

I worked at FFC about 4 years ago. I will say, it might be a little pricier overall but for what you get, if you can afford it, it's definitely worth it.

And I just signed up at Club Fitness over here. Only a $10 enrollment and $20 a month. Really nice facility right by work, the only thing I don't love is it's definitely more crowded than I would like but I make it work.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
No Lifetime Fitness folks?

Not a ton of them in the chicagoland area for most of these folks. For me personally, it's a little out of my price range with the other stuff I do and Club is right by work, Life is not.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Not a ton of them in the chicagoland area for most of these folks. For me personally, it's a little out of my price range with the other stuff I do and Club is right by work, Life is not.

I see. I despise going to the gym, so I've always invested in working out at home.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
I've looked into getting an elliptical machine for home. I may after I save up a bit.

Brian, my unsolicited advice would be to either invest in a Beachbody type program rather than purchase an expensive piece of equipment. These things almost always turn into an additional piece of furniture to dust.

I will say that the future for home exercise equipment is likely equipment which allows you to stream workouts to the equipment. As you probably are annoyed from me posting, I recently purchased a Peloton stationary bike and I can't speak highly enough about it. The combination of high quality machine, constant new programming (10 classes streamed daily and over 3,000 on demand classes), and an online community providing for almost unlimited support and accountability (a closed Facebook group of some 20,000 members) has for me, proven to be an amazing combination that fits the bill perfectly for a lot of my workout needs.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
I'm thinking of upgrading gyms. The one I go to now is cheap and a pain to go to after I get off work and walk the dog, so I only go on weekends, which feels pointless.

This other big one if right outside my subdivision and I know I would go 4 or 5 times a day, but maybe a tad expensive.

How much does everyone pay for their memberships? I'm thinking I would be willing to pay $80 a month but this place maybe higher.

Just under $100 at the Lake Shore Fitness Club by the Loop. I work out usually right after work and shower before heading home. The showers are clean and the crowds are not huge.

I don't know if anyone on here has done Orange Theory Fitness (i'm not looking through 138 pages to find out), but it's one of the best workouts i've done. Already lost 15-20 lbs in almost 6 months. Also, pretty good training for Hustle Up the Hancock next month.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
I don't know if anyone on here has done Orange Theory Fitness (i'm not looking through 138 pages to find out), but it's one of the best workouts i've done. Already lost 15-20 lbs in almost 6 months. Also, pretty good training for Hustle Up the Hancock next month.

I'm an addict, I go 3-4 times per week. Its maybe my favorite workout of all time. Thats great progress dude.

The progress ive made with running and cardio is incredible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
Is it similar to CrossFit?

Not really at all. Its much more cardio focused with rowers, treadmills and weights and instead of pushing you to the point of injury they use a HR monitor to keep you in the correct zones. Half of the class is usually run or run/row while the other is floor work with weights and TRX.

Joined new gym today. Feel good about it. It's big and clean and right outside my subdivision. They weight room and machine floor are bigger than my old gym, which is refreshing as well.

There's a basketball court by no clue if there are pick up games. Haven't played in 4 months so I'd probably suck anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
Not really at all. Its much more cardio focused with rowers, treadmills and weights and instead of pushing you to the point of injury they use a HR monitor to keep you in the correct zones. Half of the class is usually run or run/row while the other is floor work with weights and TRX.

Been hearing a lot about TRX lately...thoughts?

So I may or may not have jacked up my knee during my basketball league last Monday which is fun. I couldn't run on it all of last week so I was finding other ways to get some cardio in as well as doing mostly upper body lifts. Played in my game this week and was fine but went to run on it again yesterday and had to stop because it was so painful. No clue what's going on as I've never really been hurt but it's annoying ha.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
So I may or may not have jacked up my knee during my basketball league last Monday which is fun. I couldn't run on it all of last week so I was finding other ways to get some cardio in as well as doing mostly upper body lifts. Played in my game this week and was fine but went to run on it again yesterday and had to stop because it was so painful. No clue what's going on as I've never really been hurt but it's annoying ha.

Sounds like me everyday.

May have tendonitis. Get it checked out. Get some anti inflammatorys. I'm no ptac.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)

I'm really tempted to try it. I'm sure it's a much better workout than what I do solo and they have 5 AM classes which is when I go anyway. But two classes cost more than my monthly membership now, makes it hard to pull the trigger.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
I'm really tempted to try it. I'm sure it's a much better workout than what I do solo and they have 5 AM classes which is when I go anyway. But two classes cost more than my monthly membership now, makes it hard to pull the trigger.

I love it. Usually the first class is free to see if you like it. I have the unlimited plan because I was the 5th person to sign up and I also travel and hit other gyms, but to me its worth it since I actually go.

Check it out, and then see if its worth the money for the results.

My wife loves orange theory. I would do it but I hate working out with people. It is my time to be alone with my thoughts and to really focus on my workouts. Its as if no one else is in the gym with me when I workout...except for when someone crop dusts me with a fart.

• 3 weeks later...