*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
Anybody here jump rope? I recently got a Crossrope set and I really like it. I got 1/4, 1/2, 1, & 2 lb. ropes with interchangeable handles. Man, 20-30 seconds with that 2lb rope and my shoulders are on fire.

I used to until my left knee just wouldn't let me anymore. I'd do a minute on, minute off for a half hour.

Two weeks ago, I swore off fried for or fast food until I go to Arizona in May. It's hard cuz I live Wendy's chicken and there's one right outside my subdivision.

Already see a difference in the mirror with going to gym four days a week.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)
That's fantastic congrats. Seeing improvement is worth the pain. I used to run at 4.5 mph and now I'm easily doing 8.

Are you guys talking running in the open world? I assume that must be harder than on an elliptical, because after 7 years and being quite out of shape, I did a little over 2 miles in 17 minutes. Probably could have reached the 3rd mile by minute 26 or so. I doubt I'm somehow a skilled runner, just going to assume elliptical is easier.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 01:19 AM)
Are you guys talking running in the open world? I assume that must be harder than on an elliptical, because after 7 years and being quite out of shape, I did a little over 2 miles in 17 minutes. Probably could have reached the 3rd mile by minute 26 or so. I doubt I'm somehow a skilled runner, just going to assume elliptical is easier.

I do treadmill with a slight slope. During the week, I go to the gym at 5am. Been busier at work past couple weeks and it's been making it more difficult to wake up early but it's going to die down now.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 11:19 PM)

Running outdoors is generally considered to be more difficult than running on a machine, particularly a treadmill, because the belt is helping your turnover. Not sure how that correlates to an elliptical.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 19, 2017 -> 01:19 AM)

Nah, I havent timed that yet. I'm on a treadmill with 1-3% of incline

We are throwing around the idea of building a little home gym in our garage with a squat rack, bench, dumb bells, etc. My wife was really into crossfit before she got pregnant and instead of paying $150/month for crossfit dues, she would rather do her own thing at home. I hate going to the gym so I would be much more inclined to workout if we had equipment at home.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
We are throwing around the idea of building a little home gym in our garage with a squat rack, bench, dumb bells, etc. My wife was really into crossfit before she got pregnant and instead of paying $150/month for crossfit dues, she would rather do her own thing at home. I hate going to the gym so I would be much more inclined to workout if we had equipment at home.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

I think a lot of this depends on what motivates you and your wife to workout.

Do you enjoy working out alone or with videos? Or do you enjoy group fitness? Do you enjoy having a live instructor?

There are a lot of people with home gyms collecting dust because they didn't really understand what would motivate them to work out.

I work out pretty much exclusively at home and I love it. I don't have to leave the house, I can wear whatever I want, listen to my own music and never have to deal with people. I don't really do any heavy lifting though, mostly full body circuits. I have a treadmill, pull up bar, Powerblock dumbbells (5-50), TRX, stability ball, medicine ball, some bands, and Crossrope jump ropes.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
I work out pretty much exclusively at home and I love it. I don't have to leave the house, I can wear whatever I want, listen to my own music and never have to deal with people. I don't really do any heavy lifting though, mostly full body circuits. I have a treadmill, pull up bar, Powerblock dumbbells (5-50), TRX, stability ball, medicine ball, some bands, and Crossrope jump ropes.

Right on. This is the way I like to do it as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
Do it. Put a tv in there to supplement with videos.

I've brought up putting a TV in there and for some reason my wife is against having a TV in the garage. I'm sure I could get one in there if it comes down to it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 06:32 AM)
Any recommended sugar substitutes? I need my coffee sweeened but need to ditch sugar.

If you tend to eat a lot of candy and processed foods, sure...stevia and whatnot -- but if the amount of sugar you intake is limited to your morning coffee and a few pieces of fruit, you're ok using regular sugar to this extent. ;)

You'll often hear people recommend Agave Nectar, but stay away from this stuff. While it has a low glycemic index and is backed by mega-marketing, it's higher in fructose than high fructose corn syrup (yeah, no s***). Agave nectar is about 85% fructose, which is about 35% higher than high fructose corn syrup or sugar.

Edited by Y2HH

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Anyone else on Strava?

I used it for a long time to track cycling, but it eats a fair amount of battery and data. I switched to the Garmin Vivoactive to track and couldn't be happier.

In other news, I'm down to 14% body fat eating at a 500kcal deficit. Started in late January at 23%. I'm shooting for 10%, then maintenance until the end of summer, then surplus for some "gainz." I quit drinking at the same time, which has made it surprisingly easy. It got that high from drinking, so it's fitting. :lol:

I'm doing p90X 5 days a week, but only the chest and back/shoulders, biceps, triceps routine. I'm cycling roughly 250ish miles a week as well. I'm a courier, so that's all at work.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
I used it for a long time to track cycling, but it eats a fair amount of battery and data.

I use a Garmin bike computer (Edge 520) and after my ride is complete, it syncs to Strava. No need to leverage my phone for the actual ride.

BTW, impressive fitness regimen!

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
I use a Garmin bike computer (Edge 520) and after my ride is complete, it syncs to Strava. No need to leverage my phone for the actual ride.

BTW, impressive fitness regimen!

I actually forgot you can sync them. I've still got some friends on Strava. Thanks for the reminder.