*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

So last week, I started hitting the gym right after work and I started eating better (and less portions). Makes a huge difference when you leave a change of clothes and your gym shoes in your car so I can go straight from the train station. Monday-Thursday, I ran on the treadmill for about 40 minutes or until I hit 3 miles (got easier each day) and then I sat in the sauna after each run for about 15 minutes. Friday night, I played in this men's wiffle ball league which was a workout in itself. Saturday morning I went to the gym and did chest and shoulder workouts and on Sunday I did biceps and triceps. I just gotta keep this routine going haha

Edit: I've also been going into the office early everyday so it especially helps that I leave work early. When I'm back on a "normal" schedule, I'll likely go to the gym in the morning right when it opens before work.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 11:05 PM)
Honestly, just got on the treadmill for a half hour and did some curls just to do something. I feel better afterwards.

Thats good. Have you tried to find an activity that you like that will get you moving? Skating or walking or bball or something? Treadmill running is a tough way to start back up.

It's the end of Jan and the NY resolution people are hitting the gym like crazy. I know its annoying to people to have competition for classes and equipment, but try this year to encourage and talk to one of those folks (or even more than one). You never know if that interaction will make them feel comfortable enough to stick with it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 08:50 AM)
It's the end of Jan and the NY resolution people are hitting the gym like crazy. I know its annoying to people to have competition for classes and equipment, but try this year to encourage and talk to one of those folks (or even more than one). You never know if that interaction will make them feel comfortable enough to stick with it.

It is so packed after work now. I hate it. Can barely use any machines or weights until I go Sat and Sun morning. Just elliptical and stairmaster during week.

I can never get to a class on time after work/dog walk, if I wanted to.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 09:56 AM)
It is so packed after work now. I hate it. Can barely use any machines or weights until I go Sat and Sun morning. Just elliptical and stairmaster during week.

I didn't/won't even attempt to use these during the week after work (definitely when I start going before work). I use the machines and weights on Sat and Sun.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 08:50 AM)

This is an excellent thought. I used to get annoyed by the new year folks crowding the gym, but that changed last year. I don't remember what the catalyst was, but I remember thinking what you said. Why not be encouraging and hope they stick with it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 09:56 AM)

Yeah that blows. I do OTF during the week and the classes are really getting full, but I understand people are trying to get in shape. I'm trying to be positive.

Ponied up for Beachbody On Demand. After our second kid we’re trying to get back in shape. Second round of P90x3 for me, but it’s tough given how tired I am without working out. I’d love to do something less intense but the results are tough to dispute. If anyone has suggestions, I’d love to hear.

It’s a good service, by the way. Not working on our Fire Tv for some reason but nice to have on the IPad.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 01:58 PM)
Ponied up for Beachbody On Demand. After our second kid we’re trying to get back in shape. Second round of P90x3 for me, but it’s tough given how tired I am without working out. I’d love to do something less intense but the results are tough to dispute. If anyone has suggestions, I’d love to hear.

It’s a good service, by the way. Not working on our Fire Tv for some reason but nice to have on the IPad.

Start out with the T25 workouts. They're more doable and shorter for those who haven't worked out in a while.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 05:12 PM)
Start out with the T25 workouts. They're more doable and shorter for those who haven't worked out in a while.

I did T25 a few years ago and got a little bored. Probably would fit the bill though.

Love P90X2, but eventually every dvd gets a bit old...

I think the wave of the future is the streaming live content....I currently enjoy indoor cycling, which is nice because it’s a great workout but doesn’t tend to cause injuries...but it could be any kind of live streaming workout where there is an opportunity to keep things fresh and variable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 08:47 AM)
Thats good. Have you tried to find an activity that you like that will get you moving? Skating or walking or bball or something? Treadmill running is a tough way to start back up.

Honestly with my schedule, it's more trying to do something when I have time. We have treadmills at our apartment complex, so it is something that is available to me at all times.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 10:31 AM)
This is an excellent thought. I used to get annoyed by the new year folks crowding the gym, but that changed last year. I don't remember what the catalyst was, but I remember thinking what you said. Why not be encouraging and hope they stick with it.

I came around on this too. Why try to discourage someone that is trying? Sure, a number of it won't stick it out, but maybe with some encouragement, more will.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 05:50 PM)
I think the wave of the future is the streaming live content....I currently enjoy indoor cycling, which is nice because it’s a great workout but doesn’t tend to cause injuries...but it could be any kind of live streaming workout where there is an opportunity to keep things fresh and variable.

I agree, and the community effect too. The idea of you and your friends or family all working out to the same thing live each day/night is a cool way to keep each other motivated and accountable.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 11:04 PM)
I agree, and the community effect too. The idea of you and your friends or family all working out to the same thing live each day/night is a cool way to keep each other motivated and accountable.

Yeah, and now there are facebook groups.

Peloton has a group of 50k people, and many, many sub-groups. It is indeed a motivating and valuable thing to be part of a like-minded community. It spills into all sorts of other things as well, particularly charitable donations, causes, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 08:59 AM)
Yeah, and now there are facebook groups.

Peloton has a group of 50k people, and many, many sub-groups. It is indeed a motivating and valuable thing to be part of a like-minded community. It spills into all sorts of other things as well, particularly charitable donations, causes, etc.

Sometimes you DO need to get out of the house though. I think a hybrid is a real nice approach.

I'm REAL close to pulling the trigger on a bike, ive been back and forth a few times.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:31 PM)
Sometimes you DO need to get out of the house though. I think a hybrid is a real nice approach.

I'm REAL close to pulling the trigger on a bike, ive been back and forth a few times.

I agree. I try to play basketball at least several times a month.

It can be whatever a person enjoys/wants to budget for.

I’d be really hard-pressed to call into question anything but the most exhorbitant spending on exercise.