2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
I guess so man. For a team with the "best system in baseball" that is not competing, I don't know why you would waste $2.5 million on a guy that nobody else wants, who has proven to automatically decline after he spends a few months with a team. That's cool if you are happy with him, but there is no way that it can be considered a "good move" for Moore.

Because Francoeur is better than throwing a guy like Mitch Maier or Jarrod Dyson out there, or some completely unproven player like David Lough or rushing a player like Wil Myers. Frenchy was cheap, a low risk/high reward type of move. If he plays well, we can move him for some prospect, if he sucks then he'll finish the season here and be on his way, for the low cost of $2.5M. I'll take Frenchy over Mark Teahen ($4.75M) or even Alex Rios ($12.5M).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
We can debate the Gil Meche signing, but that was very important symbolically.

Of course, the problem has always been these "filler" contracts like Bloomquist, Pods, Ankiel, Callaspo/Betemit, Farnsworth, Juan Cruz, etc. The argument was that they had to put "legitimate" major league players out there on the field in order to bridge that time period from 60 win teams to competitive ones instead of rushing ALL their minor leaguers up prematurely. And the Royals have really struggled to develop outfielders internally since Damon, DeJesus, Beltran and Dye (via trade from ATL).

At least to the fans, there's now a clear identity and direction for the first time since the early 90's.

Several good points. But Meche was desired by several teams, the Royals weren't the only ones offering him that kind of money. Same goes for Juan Cruz.

Bloomquist was a nice utility player, he just sucked as an everyday player. They did give him too much money and years though.

Pods was a nice pick-up, he was cheap and played well for us (.310/.353/.400).

Dayton Moore turned Ankiel and Farnsworth into Tim Collins among other prospects, good moves if you ask me.

They did give Farnsworth a lot of money, but he also did well for us, posting a 3.40 ERA in 78 games over two years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 07:04 AM)
I know I say this EVERY year. But if Ramirez or Escobar don't win the AL GG I will do something tragic. I'll do something that will make this board famous.

On the plus side, his not winning might mean far less "Lowe's" commercials that we'd have to be pounded over the head with.

The one with Farmer and Alexei has to be the worst one I've ever heard in my life!!!

I think I would rather listen to Rongey extol the virtues of Pierre, Ohman and Teahen in the clubhouse than hear it again

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 07:07 AM)
He definitely is the Web Gem champ. I just think Ramirez and Escobar have been the best overall.

-5 UZR, -7 DRS. He really is a 2B playing SS.

He lacks range, which could be why he gets a bunch of Web Gems. Nothing like making a routine play look difficult.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
-5 UZR, -7 DRS. He really is a 2B playing SS.

He lacks range, which could be why he gets a bunch of Web Gems. Nothing like making a routine play look difficult.

Unfortunately, with the quality of GG voters out there, it wouldn't suprise me in the least to see Asdrubal win due to all those Web Gems.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
There's a dude with the last name Furbush on the Tigers roster. I doubt anyone has ever made fun of that name.

I think Al Albuquerque is a funnier name

Furbush? that's like someones last name being Weinerpenis.. ok, not quite but you get the point..