2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Morneau is scheduled to undergo neck surgery next week.

Morneau has been dealing with a pinched nerve in his neck for most of the season, so this news doesn't come completely out of nowhere. Still, he just can't catch a break lately. It's estimated that he will be sidelined for approximately six weeks following surgery, which places his return somewhere around mid-August.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
Justin Morneau is scheduled to undergo neck surgery next week.

Morneau has been dealing with a pinched nerve in his neck for most of the season, so this news doesn't come completely out of nowhere. Still, he just can't catch a break lately. It's estimated that he will be sidelined for approximately six weeks following surgery, which places his return somewhere around mid-August.

he just cant stay in the lineup

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
And doing really well at SS.

Yes, very debatable. He's never had good range defensively and doesn't have a great arm but has always had pretty good hands. He's an average to above average defensive 2B, below average to average defensive SS. Both Andrus and Ramirez blow him clean out of the water on defense. And, as a matter of opinion, I believe that Alexei Ramirez is the best defensive shortstop in the entire Major Leagues.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
Yes, very debatable. He's never had good range defensively and doesn't have a great arm but has always had pretty good hands. He's an average to above average defensive 2B, below average to average defensive SS. Both Andrus and Ramirez blow him clean out of the water on defense. And, as a matter of opinion, I believe that Alexei Ramirez is the best defensive shortstop in the entire Major Leagues.

Not the right day to be saying that, just for emotional reasons. I'd almost put that play out of my mind.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
I wonder if Verlander's constantly high pitch count will bite them in the ass this season. If not, he wins the CY. But he's a CG machine lately and smokey leyland lets his count get up in the 120 range.

He seems to be built like Halladay/Felix where he just pitches and pitches with no issues at all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
He seems to be built like Halladay/Felix where he just pitches and pitches with no issues at all.

It's the smoothest 97 I've ever seen. Seems effortless. And he's averaging 15 pitches an inning so it's not like he isn't throwing strikes, but I think they're going to have to bring it down a bit. 115 pitch avg. per game for a whole season seems high by today's standards.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
It's the smoothest 97 I've ever seen. Seems effortless. And he's averaging 15 pitches an inning so it's not like he isn't throwing strikes, but I think they're going to have to bring it down a bit. 115 pitch avg. per game for a whole season seems high by today's standards.

There's nothing a priori wrong with that pitch count. People have sustained it for decades before.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
and some people were worried about the Twins winning the division. 4 losses in a row. more injuries.

Yeah, it seems like they may have made their run. Still, I didn't write them off when they were at their lowest point, and they have a whole hell of a lot of division games yet, so I'll hold off on that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Not the right day to be saying that, just for emotional reasons. I'd almost put that play out of my mind.

I missed play in question. I assume it was Alexei making an error in the 14th inning of a game against the Nationals where the White Sox had 15 hits and 21 baserunners and scored 5 runs. If you in any manner even coincide Alexei with that loss, you may as well blame the catastrophic floods in the Missouri River region on the surplus rainfalls in eastern Montana in May, when everyone knows it was the snows from October through March that actually did it.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
KC is scary. I'd try to trade Soria and get another good young player, if I were them.

Moustakas, Crow, Hosmer, Montgomery, Escobar, Meyers, etc is just a ridiculous young core.

With as many prospects as they have, trading him for one more good young player doesn't do a goddamn thing. You trade him for a "sure thing" who is struggling. You get another good prospect and give up a player to replace said struggling player in return.

Thank God for Santos, because the concept of Beckham and Viciedo for Soria and Aviles just crossed my mind.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Probably 40%. Same thing for todays' game, a little over 28,000 on hand...

It's kinda sad that the Cubs @ Royals game last night drew more than any game in the past Sox Cubs series at the Cell.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
It's kinda sad that the Cubs @ Royals game last night drew more than any game in the past Sox Cubs series at the Cell.

It was pretty predictable that it would happen. A weekend series in KC where the Cubs haven't played in 11 years, as opposed to a weekday series between two "rivals" who play six times every season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
I missed play in question. I assume it was Alexei making an error in the 14th inning of a game against the Nationals where the White Sox had 15 hits and 21 baserunners and scored 5 runs. If you in any manner even coincide Alexei with that loss, you may as well blame the catastrophic floods in the Missouri River region on the surplus rainfalls in eastern Montana in May, when everyone knows it was the snows from October through March that actually did it.

With as many prospects as they have, trading him for one more good young player doesn't do a goddamn thing. You trade him for a "sure thing" who is struggling. You get another good prospect and give up a player to replace said struggling player in return.

Thank God for Santos, because the concept of Beckham and Viciedo for Soria and Aviles just crossed my mind.

Seriously?