Does the twitter drama actually help

Princess Dye

Being 30, growing up you didn't hear tons about the White Sox during down time. We knew there were characters on the team, but it obviously was before the 24/7 sports media onslaught that we have today.

Nowadays, Ozzie (and family) keep the Sox on the front pages, for better or worse.

Does it lead to more revenue for Jerry? Maybe that's why he hasn't really cracked down on this issue. They fired Oney and that was about it. They made it clear that as a non-employee, he can tweet all he wants. And his dad will face no repercussions.

Meanwhile, compared to this, the Cubs seem pulseless. And it sounds like ticket sales are hurting there, though obviously losing dictates that. You can still have a losing team with some personality...and that can drive interest for the following year. Which they don't have.

I wonder if secretly JR likes aspects of TwitterGate (Pts. I-??)

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
No, it doesn't lead to more revenue for Jerry. From people close to JR, he couldn't have been more pissed off about Ozzie/KW drama last year.

And don't worry, the Cubs 2011 season might as well be known as "The Pujols Recruitment Year"

How'd that similar thing work out for the New York Knicks?

I don't think it hurts or helps. It got a decent amount of coverage because winter months after Monday wrap up of football games are kind of a dead-zone for sports. Basketball and hockey are in the middle of the seasons, kind of scrambling to look for things to talk about. Sox added payroll and a solid FA in Dunn and reportedly ticket sales were up, and if the Sox win they'll sell more tickets, that's kind of the pattern.

I think it's funny that the Cubs actually have a billboard on I-94 that has Pujols on it. It's got to be bad when you're using other team's stars to sell your tickets. I can't imagine a Sox advertisement with Joe Mauer in it.

As for Twitter-gate, etc., it's a distraction the team didn't/doesn't need.

QUOTE (djcollie03 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
I think it's funny that the Cubs actually have a billboard on I-94 that has Pujols on it. It's got to be bad when you're using other team's stars to sell your tickets. I can't imagine a Sox advertisement with Joe Mauer in it.

As for Twitter-gate, etc., it's a distraction the team didn't/doesn't need.

they also have the one with Castro and Jeter on it

I think we have these notions that everyone in Chicago is already a Cubs or Sox fan, and that things like "how interesting is the manager" "how likable are the players" seem to get dismissed.

But I think there are swing voters out there. It'd be kind of presumptuous to just think everyone is already a fan. Some people need to be entertained by one of the two teams if they're going to go ahead and spend their entertainment dollar on baseball at all. It seems like in the past, that section of the public has been dominated by the Cubs..but I'm wondering if it will start swinging this way if their team keeps being such a boring, bad product.