Chris Sale Will Start the Season in the Bullpen

Kalapse

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
This kinda saddens me. I think Sale will do fine. Be it a set-up role or closer. I think if he flourishes that will be too chicken s*** to move him to the rotation. JMO.

Yep.

Today is a sad, sad day for those of us who value starting pitching.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Yep.

Today is a sad, sad days for those of us who value starting pitching.

Yeah, I was kinda puzzled by all the people agreeing with the move at the start of this thread. He either should be the closer or he should start the season as a starter. Kinda makes the money on Ohman seem more excessive.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Yeah, I was kinda puzzled by all the people agreeing with the move at the start of this thread. He either should be the closer or he should start the season as a starter. Kinda makes the money on Ohman seem more excessive.

I don't think so. Ozzie is going to want 2 lefties aside from his closer, and the odds are very, very good that one of Thornton and Sale is closing - I'd say around 98% that one of those two closes. And, for $1.5 mill this year and $2.5 mill next year, I'd rather have a 2nd (3rd) lefty that actually has pretty good stuff opposed to the s*** they've been throwing out there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Yeah, OK. The Sox have 5 good starters, even if one is a question mark at this point, and setting a role for Sale is a good thing. If they leave him in the bullpen next year, THEN you have a legitimate beef.

Yes...

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't think so. Ozzie is going to want 2 lefties aside from his closer, and the odds are very, very good that one of Thornton and Sale is closing - I'd say around 98% that one of those two closes. And, for $1.5 mill this year and $2.5 mill next year, I'd rather have a 2nd (3rd) lefty that actually has pretty good stuff opposed to the s*** they've been throwing out there.

...and yes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
For some reason, Thornton scares me as the closer. I think he'd do fine, but I also think that Sale would be a better option. Better all around stuff, and it keeps Thornton in the role in which he has been the best.

For as good as Thornton has been, he really "deserves" the chance to be the closer. If Sale is good enough to close as a rookie (more or less), then he is good enough to handle Thornton's old "shutdown" role. It's a win-win for the Sox and the players involved.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
For some reason, Thornton scares me as the closer. I think he'd do fine, but I also think that Sale would be a better option. Better all around stuff, and it keeps Thornton in the role in which he has been the best.

I can't say why exactly, but I feel entirely the same way.

I'm all for Sale as the closer with Thornton continuing to dominate the 8th inning. As for the 5th starter, I'm hoping Peavy can make it back in top shape sometime this season but, I think it's a long shot to expect him back early. Crossing my fingers that we don't have a repeat of the black hole at 5th starter that we had a few years ago. It's going to be a competitive season so every start matters.