Guns on College Campuses

Texsox

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should guns be allowed on college campuses?

• Hell yes. We need to protect ourselves.
    • No way. Crazy idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
I don't know if it's still there or what the rules were, but there used to be a rifle range as part of the IU student union.

I don't think there's one in the IMU; at least, I've never seen it. Granted, I can still get lost in that building, it's humongous.

I think this will start more college shooting sprees than end them. It seems like such a bad idea no one is really taking the proposals seriously, but it seems both states have the needed votes.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I think this will start more college shooting sprees than end them. It seems like such a bad idea no one is really taking the proposals seriously, but it seems both states have the needed votes.

I wouldn't necessarily say "shooting sprees". It's so **** easy to buy a high-powered rifle or semi-automatic handgun that if a person is going to go on a shooting spree, they're going to do it.

What it probably will do, if it happens, is dramatically increase the number of accidental shootings and single-shooting incidents on campuses.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)
To guns...the cause of and solution to all life's problems!

Pretending that guns are the problem and not people is the real issue here. Continue to think that banning all guns will solve the problem though. Criminals wouldn't dare break a gun ban law right?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
But I still don't see how the incredibly rare potential benefits of having guns on campus (someone *Might* be able to stop the crazy shooter that happens once or twice a decade) versus the potential drawbacks of having armed 18-22 year olds.

I'd say in both cases it'd be "rare" for anything to happen as a result of this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
I wouldn't. Having students walking around with guns every single day seems to be a bigger risk in my eyes.

Why? Because if there are words in a book somewhere that says you can't that's going to stop someone hell bent on killing people?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Why? Because if there are words in a book somewhere that says you can't that's going to stop someone hell bent on killing people?

Nope, and that's not the argument.

Having a bunch of armed college students increases the potential for an accidental discharge. It increases the potential for a confrontation to escalate beyond a shoving match or a fist fight.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
I've seen enough of the nonsense that goes on on college campuses to know that the fewer guns present, the better.

Yup, you're just asking for drunken accidents or something else incredibly stupid.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Yup, you're just asking for drunken accidents or something else incredibly stupid.

Just think about the wonders that will occur if we put the Guns on campus laws in place in the same state as the guns allowed in bars laws.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
Pretending that guns are the problem and not people is the real issue here. Continue to think that banning all guns will solve the problem though. Criminals wouldn't dare break a gun ban law right?

How do you stop the person then? Pretending that guns are no more lethal than a pencil is the real issue here. Currently if they find a gun on campus, they can confiscate it and arrest the person carrying it. That is including the potential criminal. Allowing guns on campus and that gun is either never found or returned to the person.