With Congress Looking to Make Nickel/Dime Cuts

jasonxctf

why not take away secret service protection for...

- Betty Ford

- Nancy Reagan

- Jimmy and Roselyn Carter

- George HW and Barbara Bush

I'd say leave it for Bill/Hillary due to her being Secretary of State and George W Bush since he was/still is relevant to a certain extent.

ex Presidents and their spouses prior to Clinton, get secret service protection for life. A new law was passed back in the mid 90's reducing the # of years post presidency that the protection is given.

So, that being said, the Federal Government continues to pay for lifetime secret sevice protection for Presidents and their Spouses prior to Clinton.

Why not go back, change the laws, and remove protection for those prior to Clinton? Save some $.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
I have zero problem with lifetime protection for any past Presidents and VP's and their families. I think, considering the service they ALL gave to their country in the toughest job in government, that's a reasonable benefit.

I thought I read that VPs only recently got that protection for life, maybe starting with Gore? Anyone?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
I thought I read that VPs only recently got that protection for life, maybe starting with Gore? Anyone?

They may have changed it recently, but when Al Gore was touring around and being filmed prior to an Inconvenient Truth, he didn't have the Service guarding him.

I don't think this is a serious post. IMO, the OP is making this suggestion in jest as his opinion of the Republicans suggested cuts are insignificant.

If you think the cuts are "nickel/dime", I'd like to have a few of those nickels and dimes.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
no it was 100% serious. I'm saying that across the board, they are looking at the smaller issues/items first, and leaving the heavy hitters for later.

You mean Planned Parenthood and PBS aren't heavy hitters? Along with ObamaCare, they are the troika of our country's debt monster.