2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
Mets took a $25M loan from the MLB? I didn't even know they could do that...

Yes. It's similar to the loans the NFL teams take to build new stadiums. They get a loan from the NFL to meet the "matching funds" when the state or city offers money. I believe the Twins owner did this for their new stadium as well but I'm not sure.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
Yes. It's similar to the loans the NFL teams take to build new stadiums. They get a loan from the NFL to meet the "matching funds" when the state or city offers money. I believe the Twins owner did this for their new stadium as well but I'm not sure.

But the Mets didn't do it for building purposes, they did it because they are getting their asses sued and don't have enough money to honor contracts (or so I hear).

I dont know if it was posted anywhere but Pods signed with the Blue Jays to a minor league deal worth $1 mill if he makes the team, Im sure this was posted but it's just shocking to me how bad his agent is.

After the screw up over getting Pods a good contract last offseason Pods declines a $2 mill guaranteed option from the Dodgers to end up with this deal.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 01:00 AM)
But the Mets didn't do it for building purposes, they did it because they are getting their asses sued and don't have enough money to honor contracts (or so I hear).

True. I was just giving examples of teams that borrow from the league. Many teams borrow money for various reasons. They usually just do it for the really large amounts to decrease the interest they need to pay back.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
I dont know if it was posted anywhere but Pods signed with the Blue Jays to a minor league deal worth $1 mill if he makes the team, Im sure this was posted but it's just shocking to me how bad his agent is.

After the screw up over getting Pods a good contract last offseason Pods declines a $2 mill guaranteed option from the Dodgers to end up with this deal.

Pods also was recently diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and is wearing a boot. Not a good sign for a speed guy making the team out of spring training.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
Didnt the Rangers borrow money last year to pick up Cliff Lee?

The Rangers were actually owned by the league at the time.

They picked up players last year by convincing other teams to pay larger shares of the contracts.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
Sure, it's possible. There are a lot of things that are possible.

Is it likely? Not at that price. Minnesota isn't stupid and the Yankees don't get everything they want for nothing.

Really I think those 2 teams are a terrible match. The biggest value piece the Yankees have to give up is one of their young catchers, and Minnesota needs an MLB-ready young catcher less than almost any team in MLB.