2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

It's definitely mental at this point. No one team owns another to this degree without the "Oh s***! We're playing the team that annually rapes us. We're doomed" factor coming in. Which is exactly what happens to us whenever we play the Twins, especially on the road.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
It's definitely mental at this point. No one team owns another to this degree without the "Oh s***! We're playing the team that annually rapes us. We're doomed" factor coming in. Which is exactly what happens to us whenever we play the Twins, especially on the road.

Except our winning percentage against the Twins is like 10 full percentage points higher than what the Twins do against the Yankees/

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Elvis Andrus homered.

/thread

Nelson Cruz has also homered for the 4th consecutive game. He's on pace for about 356. I love the offensive explosions we've seen so far. Pitchers' duels are boring as s***.

Wouldn't he be on pace for 162? Or did he have a multi-HR game in there?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)
Elvis Andrus homered.

/thread

Nelson Cruz has also homered for the 4th consecutive game. He's on pace for about 356. I love the offensive explosions we've seen so far. Pitchers' duels are boring as s***.

I disagree. I love watching the pitchers duels. I tune out during slugfests and offensive explosion. I also prefer 14-10 football games with a great defensive battles.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 03:12 AM)
I disagree. I love watching the pitchers duels. I tune out during slugfests and offensive explosion. I also prefer 14-10 football games with a great defensive battles.

No problem with that at all. Offense is my personal preference. Of course, I'd like the White Sox to win every game 10-0. But if I'm watching another game strictly for entertainment purposes with no emotional investment to whoever wins or loses, I'd rather see 15-18 runs with about 6 HRs sprinkled in over a 2-1 pitchers' duel.

I personally would love to be able to watch some baseball right now, any of it.

I can enjoy watching any MLB game, and practically any other baseball game, just love and appreciate the fine details of the sport too much.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 04:12 AM)

It depends on the type of pitcher's duel.

If you're watching Kershaw vs. Lincecum and they're both rolling, it can be quite fun.

If you're watching, I dunno, let's say the White Sox versus a soft tossing lefty who throws a sinker, well, that's not nearly as fun. Games where it looks like everything is hittable but both teams go 1/14 with RISP and half the players look like they're hung over.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 03:18 AM)
No problem with that at all. Offense is my personal preference. Of course, I'd like the White Sox to win every game 10-0. But if I'm watching another game strictly for entertainment purposes with no emotional investment to whoever wins or loses, I'd rather see 15-18 runs with about 6 HRs sprinkled in over a 2-1 pitchers' duel.

Then you might want to avoid all games pitched by the guy in your avy, not gonna see many HRs when he's on the mound.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Then you might want to avoid all games pitched by the guy in your avy, not gonna see many HRs when he's on the mound

Balta made a good point. If It's a matchup of elite pitchers that's one thing. It's the low scoring games with #3/#4/#5 starters that I don't care for.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 12:08 AM)
Balta made a good point. If It's a matchup of elite pitchers that's one thing. It's the low scoring games with #3/#4/#5 starters that I don't care for.

It can be a 3/4/5 type guy so long as he's actually pitching well and it's not that the opposing offense sucks. Honestly, Brian Duensing is the Twins 5th starter right now but I genuinely enjoy watching him pitch just because every time he goes out, he reminds me of the little engine that could. He doesn't have great stuff, but it's better than you think, and he really does a good job of attacking hitters. I think he's going to be their 3rd best starter this year and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the 2nd best. Like tonight, he gave up 2 homers early on bad pitches (right down the middle to Tex, up and over the middle to Andruw) but he was pretty much untouchable beyond that, and that's a very good Yankees lineup.

To your point though, if it's Joe Saunders on the mound, I'd rather watch paint dry,

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 28, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
Looks like young phenom Michael Pineda will be the Mariners #5 starter after a filthy spring. I love it. Screw those dumbass Super-2 rules. Though I understand them. And Alexi Ogando will take Tommy Hunter's place in the rotation while he's on the DL.

Neither disappointed last night. I watched the highlights and both were popping FBs at 94-96 with good-looking secondary pitches. I long for the day that we can cash-in on Latin American talent.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
Neither disappointed last night. I watched the highlights and both were popping FBs at 94-96 with good-looking secondary pitches. I long for the day that we can cash-in on Latin American talent.

Pineda went 6 IP, 3 ER, & 0 homers in Arlington. With the way Texas has been hitting, that's like a shutout anywhere else!

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
SoSH kids must be slitting their wrists.

From the looks of it, Boston is starting to look like the 2008 Detroit Tigers. All talk on paper, no results on the field (so far). They'll work it out though. That Tigers team was a lot more flawed and less-talented than this Boston one.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
From the looks of it, Boston is starting to look like the 2008 Detroit Tigers. All talk on paper, no results on the field (so far). They'll work it out though. That Tigers team was a lot more flawed and less-talented than this Boston one.

I am not as confident they will work it out enough to make the playoffs. Once the weather heats up they will start clubbing teams to death but their rotation is very weak after Lester. If the Beckett and Lackey of last year show up again this year they are in a lot of trouble. I never understood spending all that money on Carl Crawford, they should have used that money and spent it on Lee.