Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb-wp8998

Nyjer Morgan doesn’t realize it’s 9th inning until he wins game

By David Brown

Nyjer Morgan doesn’t realize it’s 9th inning until he wins gameA terrifying, then wonderful thought came to Nyjer Morgan(notes) as he noticed teammates streaming out of the Milwaukee Brewers dugout.

They were running after him to celebrate his tie-breaking, game-ending RBI double and a 7-6 victory over the New York Mets!

Oh, wait, it was the ninth inning? Morgan, via the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, claimed he didn't know.

"I thought it was the bottom of the eighth," he said with a sheepish giggle.

Oh, Nyjer. Major league players often lose track of the ball-strike count. Over the course of a 162-game season, they might not even know what day it is. But in the late innings, with a tie score, usually they mentally tune in and ... oh, well. Ignorance really can be blissful.

"It's probably a good thing that I thought it was the bottom of the eighth because I didn't feel as much pressure," Morgan said. "I guess it worked out as a good thing for us."

It's not like we didn't already know Nyjer was a little different. This only enhances the legend of Tony Plush, his alter ego. (Unless Nyjer is the alter ego.)

Morgan's wackiness capped a madcap Brewers comeback against the New York Mets, who led 6-2 in the eighth but couldn't stop Prince Fielder(notes), whose second two-run home run of the game tied the score.

In a postgame interview that has to be seen to be believed — if not understood — Morgan (who comes in after Fielder) further explained what was going through his head. We embedded another version below:

"I didn't know! I thought we were [just] winning! ... Man, I didn't even know what time it was right there. I mean, we got all the scoreboards out there and everything."

And everything! Hey, what was that about Usain Bolt (or, "Hussein Bolt," as Nyjer apparently called him)?

"Poppin' it back and lettin' it fly. You see it! You see it! I'm throwing up the 'T'!"

Nyjer might need a timeout. Too much sugar.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
Joba to the DL.

Oh the irony of the "Joba Rules", they've completely wrecked this kids arm now. With all the pitch counts, and going between the pen and the rotation. What a shame...

@Ledger_Yankees Star Ledger

A true head scratcher: Joba has shown no symptoms but MRI shows he needs TJ. Weird.

Tommy John surgery may be the route for Joba though e hasn't showed symptoms.

Is anybody else enjoying the mainstream media panic about Joba possibly needing Tommy John? He's an above average at best middle reliever...possibly the most replaceable piece of any team's puzzle, nevermind a team with the Yankees resources. This guy is so stupidly overrated.

Boston looks incredibly good right now (save for when we swept them). They're 34-16 since that 2-10 start. Crawford is back to being Crawford. Adrian Gonzalez is an MVP favorite. Josh Beckett is having his best season since '07. They do have bullpen issues, though. But their system is so damn deep that they can either upgrade internally or dangle some bait to other teams for reinforcements.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:34 AM)
Boston looks incredibly good right now (save for when we swept them). They're 34-16 since that 2-10 start. Crawford is back to being Crawford. Adrian Gonzalez is an MVP favorite. Josh Beckett is having his best season since '07. They do have bullpen issues, though. But their system is so damn deep that they can either upgrade internally or dangle some bait to other teams for reinforcements.

My only correction would be that Adrian Gonzalez is an MVP runner-up favourite.

Nobody currently challenges Bautista, playoffs or not. I'm from Toronto, and my Jays fan friends are all "what's with Bautista lately???" He's at .351/.502/.723, but he's "slumping"

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:51 AM)
My only correction would be that Adrian Gonzalez is an MVP runner-up favourite.

Nobody currently challenges Bautista, playoffs or not. I'm from Toronto, and my Jays fan friends are all "what's with Bautista lately???" He's at .351/.502/.723, but he's "slumping"

You'll get no rebuttal from me. But you know if Boston wins the division and Toronto finishes third or fourth that Gonzalez will more than likely win it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:58 AM)
You'll get no rebuttal from me. But you know if Boston wins the division and Toronto finishes third or fourth that Gonzalez will more than likely win it.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic about the voting community. but I'm actually among the believers that members of playoff teams should have precedence. In cases of extremities, like A-Rod or Bonds, exceptions are more than accepted.

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 01:10 AM)
Maybe I'm being too optimistic about the voting community. but I'm actually among the believers that members of playoff teams should have precedence. In cases of extremities, like A-Rod or Bonds, exceptions are more than accepted.

Pay-Rod had no business winning the MVP in '03. He had a fabulous season. But it wasn't so extraterrestrial-like that it should've overrode the fact the Rangers were terrible and finished in last place. Bonds was the exception to the rule that no player from a non-playoff team should ever win the MVP. Video game doesn't even describe what he did from '01-'04. Cheater or not. There was simply no way to pitch to him. Jose Bautista would have to have a similar year as that of Bonds' to snatch the MVP away from a Gonzales or a Cabrera. Independent of whether he had the better statistical year, IMO.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
Is anybody else enjoying the mainstream media panic about Joba possibly needing Tommy John? He's an above average at best middle reliever...possibly the most replaceable piece of any team's puzzle, nevermind a team with the Yankees resources. This guy is so stupidly overrated.

The Yankees just claimed Jeff Marquez and put him in their pen. They are indeed panicking.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
A team is never actually as good as they look when they're playing their best.

Conversely, they're never actually as bad as they look when they're playing their worst (remember that for right now).

The key is which team they are closer to. I'd bet more on the 4-11 versus the 30-15.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
The key is which team they are closer to. I'd bet more on the 4-11 versus the 30-15.

The 4-11 would average out to 16-29 over the same 45 games. I'd have to bet they're closer to the middle, if they're a healthy team...but below that if they continue losing key guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
The 4-11 would average out to 16-29 over the same 45 games. I'd have to bet they're closer to the middle, if they're a healthy team...but below that if they continue losing key guys.

Well duh, of course you are going to pick average versus the two extremes and be right more often than not. Thanks Mr Obvious. :lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Well duh, of course you are going to pick average versus the two extremes and be right more often than not. Thanks Mr Obvious. :lolhitting

You asked "Which extreme are they closer to". Right in the middle is a perfectly plausible answer. ;)