2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Sox vs. Diamondbacks in AZ June 17-19 (with a promotion each game - fireworks, trucker hat, bbq set). I was shocked to see that the Sunday game is one of seven games that has premium pricing. The others are 2 against the Dodgers, and one each vs. Cubs, Giants, Reds, and Minnesota.

cause the bbq sets expensive duh

Hey All,

I don’t have much time, but I figured I’d pop in just to tell you what a great time I’m having out here in Arizona. Not a whole lot to share in terms of incite about the team as we’ve played some pretty inconsistent baseball. The good news is that other then Buehrle the majority of trouble has come from our young arms. I’ve had the chance to talk to a few of the guys, (nothing deep) told Josh Phegley that I was glad to see him in good health, told Mitchell pretty much the same thing, wished Brandon Hynick a happy birthday, and have had a couple hilarious exchanges with Brian Bruney who might be the coolest guy on the planet. I’ve managed to get autographs from Peavy, Phegley, Bruney, Mitchell and a couple of other guys who I’m blanking on at the moment and look forward to more in the next couple of days. I’ll end this brief little post on a somber note. The Cleaved Indians organization is a wasteland of sadness from top to bottom with a brief stop at Carlos Santana. That is all.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 7, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Hey All,

I don’t have much time, but I figured I’d pop in just to tell you what a great time I’m having out here in Arizona. Not a whole lot to share in terms of incite about the team as we’ve played some pretty inconsistent baseball. The good news is that other then Buehrle the majority of trouble has come from our young arms. I’ve had the chance to talk to a few of the guys, (nothing deep) told Josh Phegley that I was glad to see him in good health, told Mitchell pretty much the same thing, wished Brandon Hynick a happy birthday, and have had a couple hilarious exchanges with Brian Bruney who might be the coolest guy on the planet. I’ve managed to get autographs from Peavy, Phegley, Bruney, Mitchell and a couple of other guys who I’m blanking on at the moment and look forward to more in the next couple of days. I’ll end this brief little post on a somber note. The Cleaved Indians organization is a wasteland of sadness from top to bottom with a brief stop at Carlos Santana. That is all.

By somber do you mean AWESOME?? Keep em weak!

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 02:19 AM)
By somber do you mean AWESOME?? Keep em weak!

I actually really don't like that they have a catcher that hits that well. You can build an offense very easily around a shortstop or a catcher who hits really well simply because of how great the margin is between them and the league average. Consider the Twins - Mauer has been absolutely amazing, and they have had basically one great hitter beside him throughout the years, and they are a good offensive team with relatively mediocre players otherwise. They haven't had bad players, but that's the point - you don't need great players because the catcher makes up for so much else. If they can find one more great hitter and can surround those two with solid players, their offense gets very dangerous very quickly.

Grady Sizemore seems to be a forgotten man, and sort of for good reason due to injuries and general ineffectiveness the previous two seasons, but if he gets healthy and performs well, that offense becomes pretty formidable simply because of those two.

Their pitching staff is an entirely different story. Yikes.

I attended an "overuse" seminar yesterday for little league coaches. There was a local scout there from the BoSox, who was instrumental in their drafting of Michael Bowden. He was demonstrating examples of commonly bad pitching mechanics, and somebody asked him for an example of good ones. He said, "Watch Gavin Floyd."

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
I attended an "overuse" seminar yesterday for little league coaches. There was a local scout there from the BoSox, who was instrumental in their drafting of Michael Bowden. He was demonstrating examples of commonly bad pitching mechanics, and somebody asked him for an example of good ones. He said, "Watch Gavin Floyd."

I would agree with him.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
See any Tyler Flowers in action down there? If so, what's the scoop on him; same old garbage?

From reading tweets and game threads on here it looks like Danks2, Flowers and Viciedo are having great spring so far.

One thing I don't miss about Chicago is the constant attendance debate between Cubs and Sox fans. If you talk to a Cubs fan, he'll say that the Sox don't matter to the Cubs, blah blah blah. The Cubs always sell out, and the Sox need the Cubs series to sell tickets. We've all heard some variation of this, I'm sure. Kind of funny that the Cubs are now making a big deal about the Cubs/Sox in Wrigleyville. Make the series a festival of sorts. http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_...sox-series.html I wonder if their fans know.

See, not another attendance thread. Neatly tucked away in the catch-all.

7 cuts:

Lucas Harrell

Jhonny Nunez

Kyle Bellamy

Charlie Leesman

Josh Phegley

Jared Price

Brandon Short

Roster at 46.

Harrell is a mild surprise this early, but they need to start stretching him out for the AAA season.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
7 cuts:

Lucas Harrell

Jhonny Nunez

Kyle Bellamy

Charlie Leesman

Josh Phegley

Jared Price

Brandon Short

Roster at 46.

Harrell is a mild surprise this early, but they need to start stretching him out for the AAA season.

Harrell would have had to set the world on fire Boone Logan style to have a chance.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Sucks to see they cut Leesman. I thought he was pretty decent when I saw him pitch a couple days ago.

He's another one who is way down the list for us. He could move up with a breakout year, but he is probably something like our 10th starter at this point.

I follow the team religiously during the season, just am too busy or something to ever follow the squad much in ST.

So can you help me out? How has our defense been? Specifically how is CQ doing in RF and Gordon at 2B? I did read Teahen has been sucking at third.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
Is it because his delivery is very over the top?

That's part of it. But also does alot of good things.

1. he has a smooth back swing and keeps hand up behind the head.

2. His arm slot is high enough.

3.His stride is a good length and his foot plant is on the ball of the foot and in line with his hip.

4. His follow through finishes down by his hip.

5. His trunk get parallel to the ground with his foot up over his head.

These are all good things to generate force and dissipate the force so that no one tissue has to be overloaded and begin to cause a problem.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
That's part of it. But also does alot of good things.

1. he has a smooth back swing and keeps hand up behind the head.

2. His arm slot is high enough.

3.His stride is a good length and his foot plant is on the ball of the foot and in line with his hip.

4. His follow through finishes down by his hip.

5. His trunk get parallel to the ground with his foot up over his head.

These are all good things to generate force and dissipate the force so that no one tissue has to be overloaded and begin to cause a problem.

As I recall, he's ended the previous two seasons with a sore hip. What could be causing that?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
As I recall, he's ended the previous two seasons with a sore hip. What could be causing that?

With a hip problem its usually from rotation. If its the joint he may be turning to the right too much during the cocking phase or to the left during acceleration. There can also be an impingement with the acetabular labrum cause by the rotation and flexion of the hip. It's probably more muscular with an overuse of a certain area on the side of the hip.

There are alot of possible causes but because its always toward the end of the year, I would guess its muscular.