2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
7 out.

Tragic Number: 27

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
More talented? Because of Rios and Dunn? Put those two guys on the Tigers and see how well they would do.

1.) It is tragic. s*** season.

2.) I'm glad these 2 stiffs are getting their share of the blame and not just Oz. With Peavy still mediocre, it could be the 3 Salary Stooges next year.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have to wait for this division to come to us. Which means a long losing streak by the Tigers. Tigers did fumble away division leads in 2006 and 2009.

Probably unlikely. This would be the Tigers first AL Central title and they haven't won a division since the late '80s. Still hate the Tigers ..probably still have memories of Jack Morris throwing a no-hitter against us. A few fights/brawls with them (2000 comes to mind)...but tired of the Twins winning the division.

If the White Sox aren't going to win the division in any year, I probably would prefer the Royals to win this division. haha! Only other team in the AL Central that I can kinda tolerate right now.

Only thing remotely interesting if the Tigers win the division if that they could potentially meet the Diamondbacks (manager by Kirk Gibson now) in the Series (unlikely. but possible...kinda like a 2008 All Chicago World Series)...well that would probably be more interesting to Tigers fans. lol!

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 01:47 AM)
JimMargalus Jim Margalus

That's just insulting. MT @ChuckGarfien: Ozzie's sarcastic reaction to Viciedo? "Yay, we're in the pennant race!" twitpic.com/6bqa4u

Go away ozzie.

I am not sure that Ozzie remark was appropriate, but I just think it was directed at the extreme hype that was being put out there. Viciedo is a good young talent, but I think Ozzie was trying to protect him from the extreme expectations that he is our Babe Ruth. Look what hapened to Beckham. Ozzie may have been just craching wise and that's Ozzie. If DV plays Sunday it will be fun. Game on WGN

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
I am not sure that Ozzie remark was appropriate, but I just think it was directed at the extreme hype that was being put out there. Viciedo is a good young talent, but I think Ozzie was trying to protect him from the extreme expectations that he is our Babe Ruth. Look what hapened to Beckham. Ozzie may have been just craching wise and that's Ozzie. If DV plays Sunday it will be fun. Game on WGN

It's amazing how certain people always have an excuse for something stupid Ozzie says. He can call fans stupid, demean players on his team, and call reporters homophobic slurs but there's always some lame excuse that people come up with.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
It's amazing how certain people always have an excuse for something stupid Ozzie says. He can call fans stupid, demean players on his team, and call reporters homophobic slurs but there's always some lame excuse that people come up with.

They should just make him VP and get it over with.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)

Not making excuses. I think it was funny.

Also in the article I read the reporter said Ozzie liked him and came up with the name "Tank."

Reporters like Ozzie.

The one reporter he called a name is not too good and wouldn't even show up for games.

Beckham also used the 'g' word and nobody's running him out of town. They apologized.

We'll be getting a boring manager before next season so many will be happy. Oz won't steal headlines in Florida either cause there's not the passion like here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Not making excuses. I think it was funny.

Also in the article I read the reporter said Ozzie liked him and came up with the name "Tank."

Reporters like Ozzie.

The one reporter he called a name is not too good and wouldn't even show up for games.

Beckham also used the 'g' word and nobody's running him out of town. They apologized.

We'll be getting a boring manager before next season so many will be happy. Oz won't steal headlines in Florida either cause there's not the passion like here.

Beckham is not in a supervisory role. And nonetheless, still apologized correctly.

Ozzie finds it appropriate to run down his own young players to make his points about how he's right and the media is wrong. This is fully inappropriate under any reasonable standard. A supervisor publicly running down the people that he manages will cause a very difficult working environment, and usually that's cause for removal of that supervisor.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
Beckham is not in a supervisory role. And nonetheless, still apologized correctly.

Ozzie finds it appropriate to run down his own young players to make his points about how he's right and the media is wrong. This is fully inappropriate under any reasonable standard. A supervisor publicly running down the people that he manages will cause a very difficult working environment, and usually that's cause for removal of that supervisor.

The Viciedo remark wasn't running down anybody.

It was funny.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
The Viciedo remark wasn't running down anybody.

It was funny.

It clearly was. It's satirizing the fact that people asked ozzie questions earlier this year about him expecting him to come up and perform. ozzie's response is to make fun of those guys by pointing out that clearly he won't perform. He's actively undercutting his own player and displaying a lack of confidence in a 22 year old player.

It's not that hard to say "He's still young but we need him now that carlos is hurt, we'll do whatever we can to help him succeed".

Instead, Ozzie cares about nothing except lashing out at his perceived critics. Nothing has higher priority any more. Not supporting his players, not his team, whatever. He has to deal with a kid coming up and an allstar getting hurt, and the only thing that crosses his mind is "here's a chance to lash out at my critics".

Instead, Ozzie cares about nothing except lashing out at his perceived critics. Nothing has higher priority any more. Not supporting his players, not his team, whatever.

How can you say this with such authority, like it's true? This seems like an incorrect absolute to me without a lot of proof.

He has not blasted Dunn all year. He said he forgot the outs the other day. Big deal.

He has really thrown nobody under the bus in this s***ass season.

He supported Pierre during the booing without blasting the fans for booing him.

s*** he never even really buried Rios publicly for Rios' laziness. He benched him a couple days.

Saying he doesn't support his players cause he jokes about the savior, Dayan, is not right.

He hasn't ripped Beckham except saying he can't bunt or whatever he said that one day.

It's not right to say Ozzie does not support his players. Bulls***.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
How can you say this with such authority, like it's true? This seems like an incorrect absolute to me without a lot of proof.

He has not blasted Dunn all year. He said he forgot the outs the other day. Big deal.

He has really thrown nobody under the bus in this s***ass season.

He supported Pierre during the booing without blasting the fans for booing him.

s*** he never even really buried Rios publicly for Rios' laziness. He benched him a couple days.

Saying he doesn't support his players cause he jokes about the savior, Dayan, is not right.

He hasn't ripped Beckham except saying he can't bunt or whatever he said that one day.

It's not right to say Ozzie does not support his players. Bulls***.

And yet, the moment Viciedo comes up, he goes after his critics and drags down his own player.

He's actually right, Dayan Viciedo is not the savior and its unfair to paint him as one? But would you go up to his face and tell him "You're not my savior"? If you did, you're one hell of a jackass. If you wouldn't do that, why would you do that in the media?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
It clearly was. It's satirizing the fact that people asked ozzie questions earlier this year about him expecting him to come up and perform. ozzie's response is to make fun of those guys by pointing out that clearly he won't perform. He's actively undercutting his own player and displaying a lack of confidence in a 22 year old player.

It's not that hard to say "He's still young but we need him now that carlos is hurt, we'll do whatever we can to help him succeed".

Instead, Ozzie cares about nothing except lashing out at his perceived critics. Nothing has higher priority any more. Not supporting his players, not his team, whatever. He has to deal with a kid coming up and an allstar getting hurt, and the only thing that crosses his mind is "here's a chance to lash out at my critics".

The ironic part is the last person he said this about was Gordo, and here he is floundering at the major league level.

This week:

Monday: Slowey-Buehrle

Tuesday: Swarzak- Stewart

Wednesday: Diamond- Peavy

Friday: Danks - Verlander

Saturday: Floyd - Penny

Sunday: Buehrle - Scherzer

Then Humber and Stewart will start the doubleheader in Minnesota on Labor Day. Peavy and Danks follow.

Then...

vs Cleveland-- Floyd, Buehrle, Humber, Peavy

vs Detroit-- Danks, Floyd, Buehrle

Not likely they're still in it, but with a month left, might as well still have some hope.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
And yet, the moment Viciedo comes up, he goes after his critics and drags down his own player.

He's actually right, Dayan Viciedo is not the savior and its unfair to paint him as one? But would you go up to his face and tell him "You're not my savior"? If you did, you're one hell of a jackass. If you wouldn't do that, why would you do that in the media?

How come this is only a big deal on Soxtalk? The media did not take Oz's joke as you did.

This is no big deal. The article I read pointed out how much Oz likes "Tank."

p.s.

Hey, Kenny, Dayan homers today and knocks in three. Dunn hasn't homered in a month. Yet you wouldn't bring him up. Nice move. (And if Ozzie prevented it, that's another sign Kenny must go; GMs should have personnel power. And Dayan is a god!!)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
How come this is only a big deal on Soxtalk? The media did not take Oz's joke as you did.

This is no big deal. The article I read pointed out how much Oz likes "Tank."

p.s.

Hey, Kenny, Dayan homers today and knocks in three. Dunn hasn't homered in a month. Yet you wouldn't bring him up. Nice move. (And if Ozzie prevented it, that's another sign Kenny must go; GMs should have personnel power. And Dayan is a god!!)

If Ozzie prevented it, it's a sign that the power structure that JR created is f***ed.

Personally, I believe that KW felt that he no longer had the ammo to force personnel decisions on Ozzie, with the stink of Dunn and Rios so fresh on his person, knowing that Ozzie could throw this up at him in any public squabble.

IMO, KW is guilty of being gutless. Ozzie is guilty of being stupid.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 12:52 AM)
If Ozzie prevented it, it's a sign that the power structure that JR created is f***ed.

Personally, I believe that KW felt that he no longer had the ammo to force personnel decisions on Ozzie, with the stink of Dunn and Rios so fresh on his person, knowing that Ozzie could throw this up at him in any public squabble.

IMO, KW is guilty of being gutless. Ozzie is guilty of being stupid.

That's a great last line. Not a bad take.

Should be interesting what the quiet Mr. Reinsdorf will say about this season and the Dayan thing. Also should be interesting how he handles Oz and KW's dual departures.