2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

With a hip problem its usually from rotation. If its the joint he may be turning to the right too much during the cocking phase or to the left during acceleration. There can also be an impingement with the acetabular labrum cause by the rotation and flexion of the hip. It's probably more muscular with an overuse of a certain area on the side of the hip.

There are alot of possible causes but because its always toward the end of the year, I would guess its muscular.

I lied, it was his shoulder last year, but it was just stiffness. It seems he's throwing well enough, so he could have just as easily slept on it wrong and at that point in the year there's no point in throwing him out there.

He did have hip soreness at the end of 2009 and they let it heal on its own.

Here's his motion for anyone who can't remember or who hasn't seen it from the front...

Edited by witesoxfan

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Beckham has had a few mental lapses in the field. At least when I've watched.

What seems to be Beckams problem in the field? I was under the impression that he should be a better fielder than he's shown. Is there a chance that he's dissappointed that he's not playing shortstop?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
What seems to be Beckams problem in the field? I was under the impression that he should be a better fielder than he's shown. Is there a chance that he's dissappointed that he's not playing shortstop?

I have never heard that even being hinted. I think the hardest part for Gordo has been having three positions in three years.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Sucks to see they cut Leesman. I thought he was pretty decent when I saw him pitch a couple days ago.

Don't look at is as a cut. Barring injuries he had a zero percent chance of making the roster, he's still developing, he was only in big league camp to get a good look at him. He'll be in AAA starting, and the Sox still like him a lot as a prospect. Its just not his time yet.

Same thing with many of those cuts. The only real "you sucked" cut was Harrell.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
I like Humber and Lindsay so far, although Humber probably needs to be starting in AAA.

I could certainly see him making the team as the long-man out of the pen considering Cooper apparently likes him, he can spot start, has the durability to pitch multiple innings, and has come out of the bullpen before. But that's more of a testament to his versatility as a pitcher than it is about his talent level.

Humber really doesn't NEED to do anything in the sense that you are talking about. He's a 28 year old pitcher who has thrown 51.1 innings in the majors, put up a 5.26 ERA in those 51.1 innings, and has a career ERA of 4.48 in the minor leagues. Pitchers like Phillip Humber are the reason the term "just some guy" was created.

In the absolute best case scenario for the 2011 season, he is DJ Carrasco - a great pitcher in low leverage spots who can save the bullpen and maybe give a starter a day off here or there. In the worst case scenario for Humber, he's released at some point during the year.

From Jon Heyman's Twitter:

Tyler flowers been very impressive in #cactus league. Too good to be sent to triple-a. #chisox

Dude has had 11 at-bats in Spring Training after an abysmal full season at AAA. I think a little too soon to anoint Flowers "too good" for AAA. And he is not good defensively.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 01:12 AM)

Dude has had 11 at-bats in Spring Training after an abysmal full season at AAA. I think a little too soon to anoint Flowers "too good" for AAA. And he is not good defensively.

Trade bait?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)

If he has made adjustments, those mechanical things will be obvious very quickly. Some things you don't need a lot of ABs to see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
If he has made adjustments, those mechanical things will be obvious very quickly. Some things you don't need a lot of ABs to see.

Come on, his spring is akin to a solid three-game span, no adjustments in the world can ostensibly visible in three games and some cage work. If he were to get everyday at-bats, he probably would suck.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
Come on, his spring is akin to a solid three-game span, no adjustments in the world can ostensibly visible in three games and some cage work. If he were to get everyday at-bats, he probably would suck.

Why not? You can't tell if someone has changed their trigger mechanism, stance, finish etc in weeks worth of time?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Why not? You can't tell if someone has changed their trigger mechanism, stance, finish etc in weeks worth of time?

Sure you can see that, but I when I say "change," I am referring to his offensive game in general, which I believe can't be truly discerned from his small sample size. He just is not very good, IMO. Slow, bad defense at catcher, not enough power for the a DH, horrible contact skills, etc.

And the only thing that will change my opinion of him will be seeing him produce in AAA in more than 11 at-bats.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Sure you can see that, but I when I say "change," I am referring to his offensive game in general, which I believe can't be truly discerned from his small sample size. He just is not very good, IMO. Slow, bad defense at catcher, not enough power for the a DH, horrible contact skills, etc.

And the only thing that will change my opinion of him will be seeing him produce in AAA in more than 11 at-bats.

Those kind of things are what makes up your offensive game. With Flowers the Sox have been after him to make some changes they feel would make him a better hitter. If he has made them, that gives them a good indication of whether he should be better or not.

Last day in Arizona today, but the Cub’s are in town so it’s not a bad way to go out. I’ve been to every Sox game and have a couple of observations:

Dayan Viciedo not only came to play but the transition to the outfield is going to work. He has a pretty embarrassing pratfall a couple of games ago, but he has a cannon and surprisingly good instinct when the ball comes off the bat.

Also, you guys probably know more about this in me, but Dayan got hit in the thumb at the Rangers game. He and Ozzie were laughing about it five minutes later so I’m not overly concerned.

Ozzie is incredibly fun to watch watch baseball.

Some gems: after Yhency Brazoban of the Rangers balked a balk that was not called. Ozzie shouts to the umpire, “That would have been a balk in the Dominican.” He then shouts to Cox whose in the dugout (Ozzie is sitting in a folding chair between the dugout and home plate) “He’s going to throw a ball in the dirt, just watch!” Sure enough, “See, I know this game! I’m too good for you Coxy!” later he tosses a ball to a young girl who thanks him, “That will be five bucks,” he responds. Classic.

Otherwise,

Brian Bruney remains the coolest guy on the planet.

Jared Mitchell certainly has his legs under him and continues to have the best approach at the plate on the team.

Tyler Flowers looks like he’s almost ready.

There’s still a lot to like about Lastings Milledge. He has tremendous defensive instincts and he’s not Brent Lillibridge. He also got lost trying to get back to the clubhouse at the Rangers park.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Last day in Arizona today, but the Cub’s are in town so it’s not a bad way to go out. I’ve been to every Sox game and have a couple of observations:

Dayan Viciedo not only came to play but the transition to the outfield is going to work. He has a pretty embarrassing pratfall a couple of games ago, but he has a cannon and surprisingly good instinct when the ball comes off the bat.

Also, you guys probably know more about this in me, but Dayan got hit in the thumb at the Rangers game. He and Ozzie were laughing about it five minutes later so I’m not overly concerned.

Ozzie is incredibly fun to watch watch baseball.

Some gems: after Yhency Brazoban of the Rangers balked a balk that was not called. Ozzie shouts to the umpire, “That would have been a balk in the Dominican.” He then shouts to Cox whose in the dugout (Ozzie is sitting in a folding chair between the dugout and home plate) “He’s going to throw a ball in the dirt, just watch!” Sure enough, “See, I know this game! I’m too good for you Coxy!” later he tosses a ball to a young girl who thanks him, “That will be five bucks,” he responds. Classic.

Otherwise,

Brian Bruney remains the coolest guy on the planet.

Jared Mitchell certainly has his legs under him and continues to have the best approach at the plate on the team.

Tyler Flowers looks like he’s almost ready.

There’s still a lot to like about Lastings Milledge. He has tremendous defensive instincts and he’s not Brent Lillibridge. He also got lost trying to get back to the clubhouse at the Rangers park.

a Dayan update for you Thunder, broken thumb, looks like 3-4 weeks, doesn't sound like metal will be put in, so hopefully just a bump and he'll be swinging again soon. PTAC has some great posts about it in the thread.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)

First off, he's a catcher so slow isn't really that big of a drawback, neither for a DH who typically are slower.

And to say he's a bad defensive catcher when there have been multiple reports over the past few years about how much he has improved and how pitchers feel comfortable with him is off to me.

He has a lot to prove still, but he also still has a lot of talent and if he fixed mechanics he could be back on track to contributing at the MLB level.

Metra station near ‘Cell’ to be ready for Sox home opener

White Sox fans who’ve been waiting for Metra to complete its 35th Street Station near U.S. Cellular Field got some good news Friday: The first trains will be rolling in before the first pitch of the team’s April 7 home opener against Tampa Bay.

Metra announced at its Friday board meeting that the new stop on the Rock Island Line will be in service by that day, spokesman Mike Gillis said.

Metra will run extra trains to accommodate fans for home games. A schedule was to be posted on the Metra Web site later Friday.

The $12 million dollar project began in July 2009 and was funded with $5 million in federal money secured by U.S. Rep. Bobby L. Rush (D-Chicago) and $7 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, according to Metra.

via

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post. We had awesome seats for the Rangers game at Suprise. We were three rows behind the field and the entire coaching staff were sitting in folding chairs in front of us. We had scouts sitting next to us and a row down was Ibis and Oney Guillen (No, i didn't hit him) By far the best part of the weekend was watching the Cubs-Sox game at Camelback and seeing Frank Thomas walking up the row towards concessions. Also, Mark Teahen beat the living hell out of two balls in Suprise. His homer was hit so damn hard that the Rangers LF went through the bullpen fence in an effort to track it down. I was unimpressed with Morel, but Teahen came to play.

Final autograph total:

AJ

Ozzie

Jared Mitchell

Josh Phegley

Jake Peavy

Matt Thornton

Brian Bruney

Tyler Flowers

Can't wait for this year to start.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
Anybody have any opinions on the last bullpen spot based on how the spring has been unfolding thusfar? Too early? Probably. But is it ever really too early to speculate?

Humber looked really damn good this week. All of the other kids like Carter, Jones and Infante looked shaky at best. Coop seems to really like Humber and he shows great composure on the mound.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 08:25 PM)
I forgot to mention this in my earlier post. We had awesome seats for the Rangers game at Suprise. We were three rows behind the field and the entire coaching staff were sitting in folding chairs in front of us. We had scouts sitting next to us and a row down was Ibis and Oney Guillen (No, i didn't hit him) By far the best part of the weekend was watching the Cubs-Sox game at Camelback and seeing Frank Thomas walking up the row towards concessions. Also, Mark Teahen beat the living hell out of two balls in Suprise. His homer was hit so damn hard that the Rangers LF went through the bullpen fence in an effort to track it down. I was unimpressed with Morel, but Teahen came to play.

Final autograph total:

AJ

Ozzie

Jared Mitchell

Josh Phegley

Jake Peavy

Matt Thornton

Brian Bruney

Tyler Flowers

Can't wait for this year to start.

Congrats, that is a nice haul.

One of these years I need to make it down there. It would be like my personal Disneyland.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
Humber looked really damn good this week. All of the other kids like Carter, Jones and Infante looked shaky at best. Coop seems to really like Humber and he shows great composure on the mound.

If Cooper really likes him, I have confidence that he will be at least decent for us. I know everyone hates the idea that Cooper can fix anybody. I hate it, too. But from what I can remember, any time he's been really supportive/hopeful of a pitcher, he's turned out pretty well.

Edited by Milkman delivers