2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Click the area where it shows how long ago the tweet posted (i.e., "2 minutes ago") and it will bring up just that individual tweet. You can then use that url.

I actually randomly figured this out this afternoon somehow.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 03:43 AM)
With the way Milledge is playing I wonder how many AB can they realistically find for Teahen..

Well considering Milledge hits lefties far better than he hits righties, and Teahen hits righties far better than he hits lefties, I would say that they won't affect each other's playing time too much either way.

Teahen fills in at 3B, 1B, LF, RF, DH, and pinch hitting when necessary, and Milledge fills in at LF, CF, and RF when necessary. There will be plenty of ABs for both, if that is in fact the way the team looks in 2 weeks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 03:44 AM)
Well considering Milledge hits lefties far better than he hits righties, and Teahen hits righties far better than he hits lefties, I would say that they won't affect each other's playing time too much either way.

Teahen fills in at 3B, 1B, LF, RF, DH, and pinch hitting when necessary, and Milledge fills in at LF, CF, and RF when necessary. There will be plenty of ABs for both, if that is in fact the way the team looks in 2 weeks.

Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Now this is purely speculation on my part, albeit there is a team meeting today at noon and we're suppose to see some answers.

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen sounded Thursday like he is eager to get his 25-man roster squared away.

Guillen, his coaches and general manager Ken Williams and assistant GM Rick Hahn meet Friday to discuss the makeup of the opening-day roster. Expect Brent Morel to get the nod as the starting third baseman over Mark Teahen. And don't be surprised if Lastings Milledge nails down a reserve outfielder's job -- if he hasn't already. Whether the Sox take 11 or 12 pitchers will also be discussed.

"I don't want to make the decision right away, but I have an idea what we have and [i want to] let the players know what their roles are,'' Guillen said Thursday after managing the Sox' 4-0 split squad defeat to the Milwaukee Brewers. "After the meeting, hopefully, we get it done and go from there.''

Ozzie was also quoted saying, he will not take the best bat, but whatever works best for the team. Another hint at Morel getting the nod at 3B.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 06:51 AM)
Ozzie was also quoted saying, he will not take the best bat, but whatever works best for the team. Another hint at Morel getting the nod at 3B.

I know this is the right decision, but somehow, I really wish Morel was making it easy on us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 07:33 AM)
I know this is the right decision, but somehow, I really wish Morel was making it easy on us.

Even though I still think Morel is the better option overall, I do have fears that Brent's hitting will be very much like Chris Getz in his first full year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Even though I still think Morel is the better option overall, I do have fears that Brent's hitting will be very much like Chris Getz in his first full year.

I'd be content with that. .672 OPS, .324 OBP from Getz his first year, couple weeks where he was about the only guy hitting anything.

I'm more worried about an Andersonian .290 OBP, or an Andersonian .604 OPS/.280 OBP first half that causes Ozzie to decide to bench him randomly.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Is McPherson gonna stick around in Charlotte? Always a good insurance IN case Morel ain't hitting worth a lick and Teahen doesn't magically find a glove..

Yes, he's signed to a minor league deal, there's no reason why he won't be in Charlotte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
I'd be content with that. .672 OPS, .324 OBP from Getz his first year, couple weeks where he was about the only guy hitting anything.

I'm more worried about an Andersonian .290 OBP, or an Andersonian .604 OPS/.280 OBP first half that causes Ozzie to decide to bench him randomly.

Throughout his career, Brent Morel has shown a better strikeout rate, ability to hit for average, and work ethic than Brian Anderson ever did. I really don't think there's anything to fear. He's not going to be Superman, but considering he's hitting 9th, that's just fine so long as he works the leather.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Since no one ever talks about things like this, apparently the Sox are NOT on Felix Hernandez's no trade list, according Barry Rozner.

Unless I missed something the past 2 days we don't really know this to be the case. Jon Paul Morosi learned 8 of the 10 teams on Felix's list, there's still 2 mystery teams.

Here's a list of the top 11 payrolls in 2010 (with the Mariners excluded), teams that we know Hernandez can block a trade to are in bold:

N.Y. Yankees $206,333,389

Boston 162,747,333

Chicago Cubs 146,859,000

Philadelphia 141,927,381

New York Mets 132,701,445

Detroit 122,864,929

Chicago White Sox 108,273,197

Los Angeles Angels 105,013,667

San Francisco 97,828,833

Minnesota 97,559,167

Los Angeles Dodgers 94,945,517

He's effectively blocked all the teams that could realistically trade for him considering his enormous contract, giving himself all the bargaining power in the event that the Mariners do decide to move him. Assuming this is the strategy his agent his using -- which it most definitely is -- you could confidently speculate that the other 2 teams on his no trade list are the Sox and Tigers.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
Don't know if it's been posted, but for everyone's information, the players out of options are Philip Humber, Sergio Santos, Brent Lillibridge and Jeffrey Marquez.

Humber is on a minor league deal though, correct?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Humber is on a minor league deal though, correct?

No, we claimed him off waivers so he's on the 40 man, he's gonna have to make the team out of spring training or be put through waivers once again. All along I've thought of him as a lock to make the club as the long man for this very reason, it's not like the other choices to take the final spots in the pen are all that exciting, if Cooper likes him as much as we've been told then they're gonna want to keep him around. Last time he was put on waivers he didn't make it out of the AL without being claimed so why risk it?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
No, we claimed him off waivers so he's on the 40 man, he's gonna have to make the team out of spring training or be put through waivers once again. All along I've thought of him as a lock to make the club as the long man for this very reason, it's not like the other choices to take the final spots in the pen are all that exciting, if Cooper likes him as much as we've been told then they're gonna want to keep him around. Last time he was put on waivers he didn't make it out of the AL without being claimed so why risk it?

Yeah, if he can't be sent down, as well as he's pitched this spring, he's almost certain to wind up on the roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Yeah, if he can't be sent down, as well as he's pitched this spring, he's almost certain to wind up on the roster.

Obviously, the hope is that he's the next DJ Carrasco. If he can eat up garbage innings and save the rest of the pitchers, and show a little something, he's worth it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
Obviously, the hope is that he's the next DJ Carrasco. If he can eat up garbage innings and save the rest of the pitchers, and show a little something, he's worth it.

That is a huge role out of the pen. Really the beginning of the end for the staff last year is when certian guys ran up too many innings out of the pen to compensate for others.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
That is a huge role out of the pen. Really the beginning of the end for the staff last year is when certian guys ran up too many innings out of the pen to compensate for others.

I wouldn't say it was innings that did the pen in.