2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
Bartolo Colon now to the DL. I'd have to imagine they are blowing up Kenny's phone. I wonder what kind of offers he may get, and for whom.

Why? We no longer have an extra SP, and we certainly have no one able to step in should one of the current SP's be traded.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
Ok.

Not trying to be a jerk, but if KW went and traded one of our starting pitchers tomorrow for anyone other than Jesus Montero, wouldn't most people be like WTF (and even some would still be asking that question)?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:23 AM)
Not trying to be a jerk, but if KW went and traded one of our starting pitchers tomorrow for anyone other than Jesus Montero, wouldn't most people be like WTF (and even some would still be asking that question)?

Not saying Kenny would or should, just assuming the Yankees would ask on Danks/Jackson/Humber and wondering what the rumors might be of what they would trade, because I can almost guarantee that Kenny wouldn't consider anything unless it was Montero or Romine + prospects.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
Ok.

Shack is actually right this time. Unless this team is calling it a season, we're in no position to trade a SP. Peavy simply cannot be counted on over a long stretch. He's a walking corpse that just happens to be alive. Humber? Yes. He's made me look like a fool to this point. But he's still Phil Humber. The nearly 29-year old that had done next to nothing before this season. And we all know about our SP situation in the minors.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
Not saying Kenny would or should, just assuming the Yankees would ask on Danks/Jackson/Humber and wondering what the rumors might be of what they would trade, because I can almost guarantee that Kenny wouldn't consider anything unless it was Montero or Romine + prospects.

Ain't no team in the league gonna call KW and ask about the availability of Phil Humber. I say that with absolute certainty.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)
Shack is actually right this time. Unless this team is calling it a season, we're in no position to trade a SP. Peavy simply cannot be counted on over a long stretch. He's a walking corpse that just happens to be alive. Humber? Yes. He's made me look like a fool to this point. But he's still Phil Humber. The nearly 29-year old that had done next to nothing before this season. And we all know about our SP situation in the minors.

The both of you are confusing "I expect the Yankees to ask about our starters, I wonder what they would offer" with "Hey, I think we should trade a starter". Quite the difference.

And to your comment suggesting no one wants Phil Humber, the Yankees WERE scouting him heavily during his last start. Unless of course you want to believe they are scouting a pitcher they have already played this year 2 months in advance of any possible matchup.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
The both of you are confusing "I expect the Yankees to ask about our starters, I wonder what they would offer" with "Hey, I think we should trade a starter". Quite the difference.

And to your comment suggesting no one wants Phil Humber, the Yankees WERE scouting him heavily during his last start. Unless of course you want to believe they are scouting a pitcher they have already played this year 2 months in advance of any possible matchup.

Well, I'll concede I know nothing about the Yankees scouting Phil Humber. So I'll take your word for it. But you may as well keep him. You're not getting anything worth a damn for a nearly 29-year old pitcher who's had a good two months.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:48 AM)
Well, I'll concede I know nothing about the Yankees scouting Phil Humber. So I'll take your word for it. But you may as well keep him. You're not getting anything worth a damn for a nearly 29-year old pitcher who's had a good two months.

You must not have seen it, but I mentioned a couple pages back that my friend was at the game sitting behind a Yankees scout. I asked her to peer over his shoulder to see what he was writing, and she said he had Humbers name written all over his papers and was making lots of notes.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
You must not have seen it, but I mentioned a couple pages back that my friend was at the game sitting behind a Yankees scout. I asked her to peer over his shoulder to see what he was writing, and she said he had Humbers name written all over his papers and was making lots of notes.

You sure that wasn't just a scouting report for him? ;)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 01:38 AM)
You sure that wasn't just a scouting report for him? ;)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)

Serious question: Why do people think this is such a ridiculous scenario? Does anybody here have some insight on how MLB teams conduct their scouting?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 03:03 AM)
Serious question: Why do people think this is such a ridiculous scenario? Does anybody here have some insight on how MLB teams conduct their scouting?

I do not have any insight.

Baseball changes quickly. Scouting 2 months in advance does you as much good as trying to find a deposit of solid nitrogen - you can find the solution, but it's up in smoke just like that

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
We will in a week to 10 days. And pretty much better than just about anyone else could offer

You think we can reasonably count on Peavy? His history suggests he'll be injured again much more than that he will remain healthy.