2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
Yes, it does. Teams looking for pitching to get over that proverbial hump aren't looking at Phil Humber as that difference maker.

Well Im sure some teams would be intrigued by what Humber could offer, but they won't be calling because they know that to get HUmber now would take an overpay for what he's currently worth.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
Yes, it does. Teams looking for pitching to get over that proverbial hump aren't looking at Phil Humber as that difference maker.

Have you looked at what's available as far as SP's go this year?

I think a guy who's produced like Humber has is going to be asked about quite often.

I wouldn't mind taking Poreda. Lost all command when he went to SD. Maybe change in philosophy or something of that sort, maybe coincidence. Always had good stuff. If you read the scouting reports, he seemed to be a bigger talent than Sale (with less of a track record) when we drafted him. Of course, Sale came in with much higher velocity than we expected.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Have you looked at what's available as far as SP's go this year?

I think a guy who's produced like Humber has is going to be asked about quite often.

He might be but why would we listen? The fellow has solidified our pitching staff and is one of the big reasons we are still in this thing. I think we will be buyers not sellers

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Certainly KW won that trade for Jake Peavy, regardless even if Peavy's contributions have been limited

If you don't consider his contract, yea we won big time, but that's why he was available for so cheap in terms of talent anyways.

We're paying Peavy big money, and well he's pitched what, 25 starts for us?

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Certainly KW won that trade for Jake Peavy, regardless even if Peavy's contributions have been limited

I don't know about that. You can't just disregard the contract and the money the Sox are paying him, as well as the money the Padres saved by dumping him.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
He might be but why would we listen? The fellow has solidified our pitching staff and is one of the big reasons we are still in this thing. I think we will be buyers not sellers

Exactly... no way this team is gonna be sellers unless the team torpedos downwards from now till trade deadline. But I leave the qs who should we try to acquire and what needs. Ya the hitting has been horrendous save for a select few but the guys that suck all have heavy contracts and track record that no way Ozzie would bench.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)

I don't see us being buyers in any scenario. We don't have the room in payroll to add.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
I don't see us being buyers in any scenario. We don't have the room in payroll to add.

There really aren't many players to add either.

Should Peavy return to health for 4-5 full weeks, I could possibly see one of the starters being dealt for a rh reliever and other pieces.

But otherwise, I doubt much will be done.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
There really aren't many players to add either.

Should Peavy return to health for 4-5 full weeks, I could possibly see one of the starters being dealt for a rh reliever and other pieces.

But otherwise, I doubt much will be done.

Jackson would be the most likely guy to go, but I agree.

Ok I have heard plenty of rumbling lately on MLB league realignment. They are thinking of making each league carry 15 teams rather than the current 16 to 14. Also have been talks to get rid of divisions and let top 5 teams make the playoffs from each league.

Now this would be a big blow to the White Sox, since their legit playoffs chances are from the crowning of the AL Central. Imagine if top 5 teams make it, then we gotta compete with: Red Sox, Yankees, Rangers, Rays, Blue Jays, Tigers. Heck Blue Jays and Rays may be even better since they will no longer have that many games vs their AL east rivals.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Important word here... :lolhitting

Alex had a nice series against the A's. I for one want him on our roster, I agree with Hawk that we need him to start hitting, and the fact that he showed some things over the weekend is probably the most exciting thing we can take out of that series.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Alex had a nice series against the A's. I for one want him on our roster, I agree with Hawk that we need him to start hitting, and the fact that he showed some things over the weekend is probably the most exciting thing we can take out of that series.

I don't know why you would want him on the roster. He's grossly overpaid and we can 'win' without him.

Trade him to Philly now for a couple minor league arms with promise.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
Trade him to Philly now for a couple minor league arms with promise.

That sound you hear is Ruben Amaro Jr. bursting into laughter and having no idea why. This concept is so ridiculous that it caused him, a person not even reading this board, not even in the same city, to be overcome with the urge to laugh. Not only to laugh, but to laugh so hard that it could be heard across 3 states.

Medical scientists are rushing to the scene to figure out how any of this was possible.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Phillies are looking for RH hitting outfielders. Alex Rios...? :D

Phillies are too left-handed, we're too right handed. I wouldn't completely rule out something centered around Tank for Domonic Brown.

Unlikely, I know.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

They gotta do SOMEthing with the Tank soon, and they know it. At least the questions are being asked. I'd say the pressure really is on JP right now more than any other player, and Ozzie can't stand by him forever.

Someone seems to have forgotten that Juan hasn't been DFA'd, yet:

"That's going to be the trio of Chicago," said Viciedo of an outfield including himself, Quentin and Rios, with Quentin potentially moving back to left.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
That sound you hear is Ruben Amaro Jr. bursting into laughter and having no idea why. This concept is so ridiculous that it caused him, a person not even reading this board, not even in the same city, to be overcome with the urge to laugh. Not only to laugh, but to laugh so hard that it could be heard across 3 states.

Medical scientists are rushing to the scene to figure out how any of this was possible.

You mean he's laughing cause no way he'll pay Rios?

Or that he's laughing cause Rios is such a s***ty player he wouldn't want Rios?

Pls. explain.